DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I pick up the pickup on Saturday. '03 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab.

Guy said body work and repaint was done not long ago, not sure how well or by who, feels pretty solid but already can see some rust bubbles at the cab corners. Has the fender flares so couldn't see under there, but apparently a newer box was installed as well.

I plan to do some weekend repairs myself, and eventually repaint myself.

Looking for some ideas regarding rustproofing since I live in Ontario where cars simply do not last.

I know the basics, keep it clean, wax, mud flaps though with flares not needed...

I'm looking for other things to do. Like pulling the interior out around the cab corners and maybe spraying with something, or drilling holes in the wheel wells to get a spray nozzel up there to spray in. Is it better to use rubberized spray? that non-paintable undercoating that's sorta tar like? get a spray gun and use the old oil after oil changes? all of the above? For the cab corners and rocker panels, maybe using expanding foam (closed-cell type that doesn't suck up water).

For now I want to do some basics... but if/when I redo the body work and paint, I definitely want to rust proof this as best as I can beyond just a wash/wax 2x a year and underspray in Fall. Especially since having looked for used ones the past month... the cab corners and around the wheels on most of these are just gone.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I'd find a rustproofing dealer in Krown, Corrosion Free or RustCheck and get your vehicle down.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm... bit of an underwhelming number of responses...

I'm more of a DIY guy (and cheap) so was looking more for ideas of what to do in the driveway on a weekend than go somewhere.

·
Happy Ram - No more GM
2017 Silverado 1500 QC 4x4.
990 Posts
You can buy Krown by the gallon, get an undercoating gun, a drill bit and some plugs.

Used to do it ourselves, now pay Krown to do it.
Also get the desalt done every May.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Hmm... bit of an underwhelming number of responses...

I'm more of a DIY guy (and cheap) so was looking more for ideas of what to do in the driveway on a weekend than go somewhere.
Fluid Film is another option...maybe not as quite as good as Krown, RustCheck, etc but should be readily available if you have a NAPA auto parts near you. Get a gallon of the Fluid Film, the 20.00 electric sprayer from Harbor Freight and have at it.

You could get more advanced with an undercoating paint gun and different material (i.e. Rust Check, Corrosion Free "Rust Cure 3000", etc) but it costs more and is harder to obtain than Fluid Film.

I went the route of the special gun and the Rust Cure 3000 stuff. The gun came with different nozzles so I could shoot it through the drain holes in the door bottoms, frame openings, etc without needing to drill any more holes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah we have a Princess Auto here, which is like Harbour Freight, but from what I've seen online, about half as good. :D

I was thinking to grab the undercoating gun they had there and debated using old oil from oil changes... which I know isn't as good as stuff like Krown, but, as a secondary step it may not be bad.

I drive 10,000km/6,200miles a year, at most these days, and I change my oil every Spring and Fall (every 6 months) and for this truck going Mobil Extended Performance Synthetic. So, twice a year I could also spray up under the truck.

My Grandfather back in the day, use to do that... spray under the car with oil, then immediately find a dirt road and drive up and down a bunch of times to get the dust up on the oil to keep it from dripping. Too young to remember if it worked or not. :D

How about inside the truck... Krown as well?

From what I read, the cab corners rot because the rear windows get condensation and drips down to the corners and rusts from the insides out? That true?

·
Registered
14 Posts
For those you on a budget You can combat rust with rust remover like a metal prep, some transmission fluid or you can heat up some Vaseline to a liquid tape up your drains pour the rust remover down into your welds. You can use a piece of brake line with the hose on the end to poor your liquids in the door without taking the panel off. Let the rust remover sit awhile. Follow it up with transmission fluid. A little goes a long way. If you don't like transmission fluid you can use mineral oil Heat the Vaseline up to liquid and pouring it over the welds

·
Premium Member
32,678 Posts
I would at least consider having Krown do it the first time
They drill holes in all the right places & then put plugs in the drilled holes

After that, you know where to squirt the do it yourself stuff & just put the plugs back in

1 - 9 of 9 Posts