DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have a 2003 Ram 2500 with 5.7 and was looking for performance tuner to buy. I mostly want to be able to recalibrate my speedo when I buy a little bigger tire, and firm up transmission shifts a bit, and mpg and power gains are a bonus... So my question is which tuner is safe and best bang for buck any insight on this would be appreciated thanks

·
Banned
290 Posts
I have a SuperChips micro tuner for my '03 1500 Hemi. It gave me about 25HP increase, I think, and allows me to change the tire size to correct speedo discrepancies. Diablo handheld tuners will do the same. I would stay away from Jet, personally. I know the '03 1500 Hemi has a TCM and ECM making it difficult to adjust the shift points however, both mentioned handheld tuners will firm up the shifts by reducing torque management. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
I have a Diablo Predator. It may do more than you need. I run a sidewinder cam and have it dyno tuned. If I'm drag racing I can tune for optimum nitrous/premium gas tune, winter I detune for 87 octane. If you don't know what your doing, however you can damage your motor, that's why I leave the tuning to professionals. Superchip, however is safe, but it is less useful.

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
I have a Diablo Predator. It may do more than you need. I run a sidewinder cam and have it dyno tuned. If I'm drag racing I can tune for optimum nitrous/premium gas tune, winter I detune for 87 octane. If you don't know what your doing, however you can damage your motor, that's why I leave the tuning to professionals. Superchip, however is safe, but it is less useful.

I have a SuperChips micro tuner for my '03 1500 Hemi. It gave me about 25HP increase, I think, and allows me to change the tire size to correct speedo discrepancies. Diablo handheld tuners will do the same. I would stay away from Jet, personally. I know the '03 1500 Hemi has a TCM and ECM making it difficult to adjust the shift points however, both mentioned handheld tuners will firm up the shifts by reducing torque management. Good luck!
You can screw around with some things with a Diablo, but it is severely limited on a 2003. Speedo, speed limiter, rev limiter and trans tuning cannot be altered on an 03 with DSP. Superchips will adjust all of that, but you cannot load custom tunes with it, nor trans tuning. Also to take advantage of the rev limit setting you have to manually shift your transmission. SC claims reduced torque management with their programmer, but you can't feel it. You can disable torque management with one wire on an 03 hemi, but you do so at your own risk. Anything newer than a 3815 is a waste unless you want the datalogging capability. A sonnax may help with firming up your shifts.

Unfortunately, the 03 hemi is the weirdo bastard child when it comes to tuning.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts