DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i have a noisy rear end when i step on the gas, so bad rack and pinion. there is a 3.55/9.25 4x2 rear end at the local salvage yard. its an '03 and i have an '05. so i guess i have two questions - can i swap a 4x2 rear end in place of a 4x4 rear axle assembly? and second, can i swap the '03 into the '05. i read online that spline counts can vary by year for fords for example, but it sounds like you generally can swap 4x2 rear differential assemblys into 4x4s. just wanted to run it past the forum and make sure i know of any other variables i need to be aware of. thanks

·
Registered
19 RAM 1500 5.7 Etorque. Falcon Wildpeak AT3W/ JMS PedalMax/weatherTech TechLiner/Gator Quad fold
992 Posts
hey guys, i have a noisy rear end when i step on the gas, so bad rack and pinion. there is a 3.55/9.25 4x2 rear end at the local salvage yard. its an '03 and i have an '05. so i guess i have two questions - can i swap a 4x2 rear end in place of a 4x4 rear axle assembly? and second, can i swap the '03 into the '05. i read online that spline counts can vary by year for fords for example, but it sounds like you generally can swap 4x2 rear differential assemblys into 4x4s. just wanted to run it past the forum and make sure i know of any other variables i need to be aware of. thanks
I was just looking under my truck. Seems to me that you'd need to remove the transfer case..?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Assuming the gear ratio matches the front differential I can’t imagine why there would be an issue. It would be a simple swap. No need to remove the transfer case, just the drive shaft. The front differential doesn’t care about the rear. So long as the drive shaft u joint aligns, the shocks, brakes, and rear stabilizer is good, you should be fine. Good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks Zzoogg. you're saying i should pull the driveshaft off the donor truck and take it with me? i did read somewhere that the 4x2's sit lower than the 4x4 differentials. but i also read that they are interchangeable and didn't see mention of driveshaft. i'll prob try without and if doesn't work i'll go back for it after hiding it in a pontiac aztek or chevy

·
Registered
69 Posts
Nope, sorry. The 4x2 drive shaft is probably too long due to the lack of the transfer case. I was referring to your drive shaft mating up to the differential yoke….is the size of the u joint the same. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
69 Posts
2wd trucks sit lower because the 4wd truck needs the extra height to accommodate the front differential and drive shaft. Has nothing to do with the size of the rear axle. However, you should measure every aspect of the doner because the 2wd truck may have lighter duty components. If it’s a v6 for example I’d look further

1 - 6 of 6 Posts