DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Happy Ram - No more GM
2017 Silverado 1500 QC 4x4.
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being that the PCM is locked on the 2015 - Present Rams, are we still able to read and clear codes?

What are you folks using for scanners?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I think it's only locked for tuners. I know my Innova 3030g works on my 2014 and it worked on a buddies 2017.

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
I wanted a scanner that could do everything but check the ABS Brake System & Airbag System check
I no longer have a neighbor that understood that system, so i had no reason to spend that extra money that those ABS scanners cost.

Mostly i wanted a scanner that could tell me why a Trouble Light came on & to help my neighbors pass the Emissions Test, so that they could re-register their vehicles.

If a vehicle has something wrong with the Smog System, that means that it can't pass what is called the OBD II Drive Cycle Mode, which is a test of at least 7 functions that affect the Emissions System check

Here in California, there is a law that does not allow an auto parts store to use their code readers to do anything that has to do with Smog Emissions.
The law was put in place because the State says that doing so would take away business from Licensed Smog shops
( in other words, someone spent a lot of money to get that law passed ) :(

·
Super Moderator
19 Ram 1500 Big Horn Sport 5.7 Hemi 4X4 QC
6,236 Posts
Harbor Freight has them pretty cheap, too. And they do what the BIG BOY scanners do.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Being that the PCM is locked on the 2015 - Present Rams, are we still able to read and clear codes?

What are you folks using for scanners?
They are not locked for reading and clearing DTCs including those you get for a check engine light. You used to be able to send commands down the ODB port to modify some of the module configuration and operation. FCA has started to lock down those functions. My Bosch Code Connect I bought in 2015 can read and rested MIL, ABS, and Airbag DTCs, it cost $10 more than those that didn't do ABS or Airbags. Its been used on several vehicles, including my 2016, without issue.

·
Super Moderator
34,702 Posts
As others mentioned, you can still use a code reader just fine. I have an Actron CP-9690, which is probably overkill for most people, but it does both OBD I and OBD II and live data logging. I have used the Actron CodeConnect before and its actually very useful

·
Registered
20 Posts
Looking hard for a scanner for my 2018 Ram 2500 6.4 Tradesman and have run into issues in that many read only to 2017.Someone reset my hrs idle 1800+,run 200 hrs&milage to 37K......It's crazy.
That's one of thing things I want to look into plus my Check Engine light.
I bought a Foxwell NT510E but had to return because seller had it for BMW ....
What are folks using for 2018 +

1 - 8 of 8 Posts