DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cleaning and treating my seats on my Longhorn Laramie when I noticed the driver seat is showing it’s age and wear and tear, which is not surprising as it is mostly driven by only me for all it’s life. I went to Mopar.com and find my particular seats are discontinued and no longer offered. I know they are made by Katzkin so I looked at their site but I cannot tell by their photo if they offer an exact replacement and I don’t want to replace all the seats because the others have almost no wear and tear. This was my business truck and when I retired I loved it so much I kept it. Other than an auto recycler where would a person find these seats or what is everyone using to replace discontinued seats? Tia

·
Premium Member
32,781 Posts
Why do you have to replace the seat ?

If the frame is working as it should, you don't need to replace it

If the cushion is breaking down, you can buy good replacements
If the heated seats don't what they should, that pad can be replaced

If it is just the material that is old ..., then find the auto upholstery shop that works on Classic automobiles & Hot Rods in your area.
Those owners are picky about the shops that work on their vehicles
Those shops can get the correct material & the seat won't have crooked seams, or loose material.

One of the best seat cushions for leather seats is
https://www.genosgarage.com/product/mop-68064271aa-mopar-seat-cushion/seat-cushions

This is what the upholstery shop would do, not counting the heating pad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5aTSWiNK04

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why do you have to replace the seat ?

If the frame is working as it should, you don't need to replace it

If the cushion is breaking down, you can buy good replacements
If the heated seats don't what they should, that pad can be replaced

If it is just the material that is old ..., then find the auto upholstery shop that works on Classic automobiles & Hot Rods in your area.
Those owners are picky about the shops that work on their vehicles
Those shops can get the correct material & the seat won't have crooked seams, or loose material.

One of the best seat cushions for leather seats is
https://www.genosgarage.com/product/mop-68064271aa-mopar-seat-cushion/seat-cushions

This is what the upholstery shop would do, not counting the heating pad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5aTSWiNK04
Thanks for the reply and idea. Everything on the seat works fine. I should have clarified that as it is only the leather that is going bad. The leather isn’t junk yet but it is getting pretty cracked and will most likely open up in the next year. I’m just researching early so I have a plan for when the leather breaks open. I’m regretting not treating the seats more often now because it looks like the leather is drying out from a lack of conditioner.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Don't have leather in mine but if it's like nearly every factory seat these days you are sitting on a thin layer of plastic bonded to the leather. Conditioning it just makes your jeans greasy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't have leather in mine but if it's like nearly every factory seat these days you are sitting on a thin layer of plastic bonded to the leather. Conditioning it just makes your jeans greasy.
I would normally agree with you but the leather seats are heavier and thicker than any other leather seat I’ve ever seen. The wife has a GMC Terrain and what you describe is pretty much what she has. Thin plastic bonded to leather and thin leather at that. Mine are way thicker leather. I’m guessing they are close to 3/16” thick but I am guessing as I can’t measure it without removing it. The conditioner I’ve used in the past took forever to get all worked in which is probably why I didn’t condition them more often. It was supposed to sit on the seats for a few hours and then buffed which I assume would reduce or eliminate the grease on your jeans. Lol!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts