DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Serious electrical issues with my 2014 ram starting at 150000 miles. I lose all power to the truck while driving and sometimes it will kick itself back on and I keep driving or it will shut down fully and I have to pull over sit a minute and restart it. I have replace the front module/ fuse box, checked all grounds and have had 3 garages look over it and no one can seem to find a solution. I love my truck and am not ready to trade and would love to find the culprit to the problem. Anyone out there that has any ideas?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have you checked the battery terminals over real good? What DTCs are set when this happens, also have the battery checked. did they physically take the grounds off and clean them?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Terminals and grounds are all clean and tight, and it is kicking codes for about everything it seems after it shuts down, the radio, transmission, the shift control, tire sensors, fuel sensors. We are gonna replace the bcm and see if that helps. It’s losing full bus connection. I will try to post a video I took last night when it happened to see if that helps juggle any ideas.

·
Premium Member
32,661 Posts
I would drive to a auto parts store like O'Reilly's , Autozone or Advanced & request that they hook up their scan tool to get any trouble codes & have them write them down.
Then go online to the

Has the fuel pump ever been replaced ?
Is the fuel pressure up where it should be while under throttle ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The fuel pump had not been replaced, it is kicking the fuel sensor code in which does need replaced due to fuel gauge dropping flat as soon as it hits half a tank. I asked the garage if that would be something that would black out and shut down everything In the truck and they said no. So I wasn’t sure about replacing it cause the sensor starting acting up 3 years ago and never gave a problem otherwise. Still something I should still consider tho I reckon.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Sounds like you defiantly need to stay focused on electrical. A PCM or maybe BCM. Might pull the alternator and have it bench checked. Make sure it is charging correctly and not over charging.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It sounds an aweful lot like what I just took my 2014 1500 in for. The dealer told me it was the SCCM (steering column control module). If the scanning tool you used can pull the stored history look for a computer system fault such as TCM, EGM, etc. Also if you have the electronic shifter it could be that. My shifter shorted out about 6 months ago and took out the whole computer system.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Serious electrical issues with my 2014 ram starting at 150000 miles. I lose all power to the truck while driving and sometimes it will kick itself back on and I keep driving or it will shut down fully and I have to pull over sit a minute and restart it. I have replace the front module/ fuse box, checked all grounds and have had 3 garages look over it and no one can seem to find a solution. I love my truck and am not ready to trade and would love to find the culprit to the problem. Anyone out there that has any ideas?
Hi MindyAnn,

If you are not able to determine a solution here and you decide to address this with your dealer, please know that our team is just a private message away and we are more than happy to support you through that process.

Mark
RamCares

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2015 3.6 and had a big issue all the lights on the dash would trip out etc. stating bus errors and shift errors all sorts of crazy blinking. After going to the dealer 3 to 4 times it turned out the dealer I bought it from put a gps tracking device on it, I didn't want that cuz they charged extra. It was plugged into the same connector where you plug in your scan tool almost like a female to female connector so that way u can still plug in a scanner. He asked me about that and they removed it and that was the issue never happened again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a Suburban that did something similar occasionally. Would just suddenly shut down all electrical systems. Turned out to be the battery, even though it seemed to be fully charged all the time, etc. I replaced it and never had the problem again. As I recall, I do think one of the auto parts stores was able to test and told me it was bad and I was pretty skeptical since it otherwise seemed okay, but replacement did the trick. So maybe get it tested just for good measure? Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2015 3.6 and had a big issue all the lights on the dash would trip out etc. stating bus errors and shift errors all sorts of crazy blinking. After going to the dealer 3 to 4 times it turned out the dealer I bought it from put a gps tracking device on it, I didn't want that cuz they charged extra. It was plugged into the same connector where you plug in your scan tool almost like a female to female connector so that way u can still plug in a scanner. He asked me about that and they removed it and that was the issue never happened again.
BTW they had to call RAM support they were the ones that advised to look 4 a GPS device, I guess it went haywire or shorted out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just a shot in the dark here. Check the wiring harness under the driver's side door on top of the frame rail. Seems, from the factory the zip tie they used to secure the harness to the frame was way too tight and over time the pinched wires actually frayed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You said, sometimes you have to wait for a min. to restart. Have you check to what is not working when it won't restart for that min. or so?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found the problem finally y’all. There is a module in between the rear body walls of the truck. Removed the back seat and the mounts. Well there was one little wire that was corroded. Replaced the wire and she has run like a champ ever since with no more issue. Thank you everyone who gave me advice. I will keep it all in mind just in case I run into other crazy issues. If anyone has similar issues I hope this could be a possibility of help.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I found the problem finally y’all. There is a module in between the rear body walls of the truck. Removed the back seat and the mounts. Well there was one little wire that was corroded. Replaced the wire and she has run like a champ ever since with no more issue. Thank you everyone who gave me advice. I will keep it all in mind just in case I run into other crazy issues. If anyone has similar issues I hope this could be a possibility of help.
So glad to hear this update, MindyAnn! If you ever in need of any support down the road, we're always here.

Mark
RamCares

1 - 15 of 15 Posts