DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have a serpentine belt squeak? Its driving me crazy! I replaced the belt but it is still there although it quietened it down!

I was thinking maybe it was a bearing on an idler pulley and that it would hopefully worsen (which then I could identify it) but it has stayed constant for 6 months now and I want to get rid of the awful squeaking!!!

Anyone else had this issue? I'm going to take a video of the squeak shortly to show you guys.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Do not use belt dressing! That is bad stuff it will quiet the belt temporarily but will ruin it in the long run. Also can ruin any other rubber that it gets on.

Sure is weird that it's still there with a new belt, it does sound like a pulley or bearing issue if the belt was replaced. Maybe the tensioner?

·
Registered
184 Posts
i had this problem on my 07 tundra and it was the tensioner pulley .... u could look into that also try this take a bar of soap and hold it against the belt and if that doesnt get ride of the squeak then its gotta be the tensioner....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same issue with my 2009. I brought it to the dealership last month for the outer tie rod recall and had them try to fix the belt squeak. They thought they isolated it to the water pump so they replaced line in, line out and the pump. It is still making noise on start up, especially if it is more humid. They also checked the belt and tensioner and they checked out fine.
Has anyone had a positive outcome from a specific modification?

Thanks

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried to make a video of the squeak but sure enough it got camera shy just as soon as I popped the hood!

It sounds like birds chirping. You can hear it at the beginning right before I pop the hood and then it only chirps once or twice with the hood open. The new belt has developed some wear lines on the backside of it though?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is3u1Wx_vuU

·
Registered
247 Posts
try putting a dime size dab of dialet grease on each side of the belt. it will clear it up. i did this on my durango never made noise ever again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts