Discussion Starter #1
1999 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.2 Magnum

Replaced the belt 4 times in the past month along with the following:

Idle pulley
Fan clutch
Belt tensioner
Power Steering pulley
AC compressor, clutch (6 months ago)

The belt still squeals! This is driving me crazy, the garage has no answer... As soon as you get the belt wet (just a couple of drops of water) the squeal stops for 20-30 seconds...

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Is it to tight or to loose? Is it the right belt?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its the right belt, how do I tell if its too tight or loose? I thought the auto tensioner does that?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Could be one size smaller belt or one size bigger...I know I ran in to this issue one time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yep....

I have the same problem, sounds like a bird is chirping in my engine compartment and its worse when its damp outside. I replaced my tensioner and belt and it went away for a day and sure enough the "birds" came back to the nest....Drives me F-In crazy......Im ready to replace every pulley etc. on the engine until I find it!!!! H E L P..........:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same problem on my 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup with 3.9.
I put gatorback belt on, idler, tentioner pulley, fan clutch, and even replace p/s pump with new pulley.

Come to find out it is glazed. Take wire brush too all the pulleys and do belt lightly. It works.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the same problem on my 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup with 3.9.
I put gatorback belt on, idler, tentioner pulley, fan clutch, and even replace p/s pump with new pulley.

Come to find out it is glazed. Take wire brush too all the pulleys and do belt lightly. It works.
So, the pulleys and the belt are glazed? And you say wire brushing them is the answer? I didn't feel any glaze on my pulleys when I removed them.

If its just some kind of glaze then it isn't harmful?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Just another thing here my 2010 was just having this same issue, the dealer under warranty replaced the belt 3 times, a tensioner once...the other tensioner the next time...then finally one guy found it! The water pump was squealing...new pump wallah! problem solved

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 00 5.9. I replaced the water pump and belt then it started doing it so I pulled the pump off and replaced it under warranty. I figured there is no way it could be that expensive belt, it was somewhere around $50 at the time. Sure enough it was the Gates belt, they are made from a very stiff/hard rubber. I switched to a Goodyear Gatorback and it solved the problem, the ribbed surface has a pliable softer rubber that is supposedly garanteed against squeeling. I will never buy anything but the Gatorback ever agian.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi guys,
I hope I can be of some help....I had a F*** doing the same thing. We replaced the belt with the least expensive available, cleaned all the pulleys with brake cleaner. Still sqeeked like crazy. We tried everything and eventually went out a bought the higher end belt (Most expensive) and it stopped.
Our expeirence was after dealing with coolant issues and after resolving those issues is when the squeel became louder. Coolant probably got on the belt system at some point and ruined the belt. adn cheap belts (I have been told) tend to squeel.....

Good luck guys
Robb

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just went throught the same exercise. Replaced Dayco cross-hatched belt Jan 10.

New Dayco ribbed belt lasted about two weeks before noise driving us crazy so I replaced water pump and tensioner puller and idler pulley and reinstalled the Jan 10 new Dayco ribbed belt. Same "frapping" aka f_igging noise.

Reinstalled original tensioner and idler pulleys same noise. I took belt back and got a new one under warranty same Dayco part number as they don't carry Gatorback belt.

So far new softer kinder gentler Dayco belt whisper quiet. Wish me luck hope it was belt and now I have a spare used water pump.

Repair shop I use only for my state inspection stickers told me today they stopped using Dayco belts and only use Goodyear Gator backs as they had some many customer complaints with Dayco belts. However, none of the parts store around here sell GY belts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My 5.2 Ram had a squeeky belt. Put a new Gates one on and the noise went away for a while. The next time it got wet the noise came back. A temporary cure I got from a Ford mechanic was to sprinkel talcom powder over the belt. The noise will go for the rest of the day but you will need to do it every new day. It can make a bit of a mess in the engibe compartment and I dont supose you want too much powder in the altenator. If the powder trick works it cant be the water pump surley. Maybe I should get one of those Good Year belts that has been sugested.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Also I've not herd one person mention a forgoton pully as an issue the alt pully. Mine was that new alt belt and tenchener pully later quiet as a mouse.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Were these squeals and squeaks upon start up and then goes away? Cause my 2010 just started making a squeak noise like a belt would if it is wet. It has rain the past
Couple of days and been foggy out but it shouldn't be squealing today but it did then goes away after I drive off? Anybody know what this could be, as if I thought the dodge engine tick was bad enough now this.

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
I'm sorry if I missed something I didn't read the whole thread.

Did you check the pullys? Tensioner and idler? The belt might be getting worn. Also if it's cooler out than it's been a belt can make noise until it warms up since it isn't as pliable.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Holy thread revival!

How many miles do you have on it? Belts can go hard over time depending on how much heat they're exposed to. When you pull the belt off to check pulleys, I'd go ahead and replace the belt. They're not that expensive. Then you can throw the old belt in a tool box or under a seat. It may squeal, but if you lose your belt out on the road, it can at least get you home.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Just to throw gas on the fire, I had a recurring belt squeek/squeel on my 01 Stratus. Replaced two ps belts, adjusted the serpentine a zillion times. Turned out the A/C compressor pulley bearing was going! That was the drag, and the squeal. The bearing itself didnt make a noise, just the belt-drag on the pulley. So, check the feel of the a/c pulley bearing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just to be sure...

I think i would touch test feal out each pulleys berrings. if they spin fast or make noise, or grind, then that would be the culprit. Alot of things could make it do that so im not going to tell something just because mine did it. Makes no sense.
I had a leak in my radiator once and when it would get low, i could hear the pump squeeking. When i filled it back up it would almost go away. But then it eventually went on out. IDK if that could be it but its worth a shot eh?
:box:

·
Registered
709 Posts
Don't forget pulley alignment.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts