DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning it was really cold and snowy, -3 F, I let the truck warm up for just a little bit (5 mins) because it was already plugged in.

Started driving down the road going about 40 mph, and the Service 4WD drive light came on. I continued to drive and the 4WD seemed to work fine. I stopped a little up the road, shut the truck off, and started it back up. Continued on my drive to work in 4WD the whole time (about 40 mile drive on the highway) and the light never came back on.

So, was it a computer glitch because the transfer case was really cold, or something else wrong? Does that light only mean there is something wrong, or does it indicate change oil as well. Curious why it never reappeared?

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
Difficult to say what it could be but a code should be stored in the DTCM. The light doesn't come on at service intervals. Let the dealer have a look at it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a buddy who purchased a 2011 slt about a 2 months ago. In that time and about 2000 miles he had his truck in 5 different time with issues relating to the service 4WD light coming on. After the fifth time he took it back and said enough and gave them the keys. They ended up taking his truck back and giving him another one. Never could come up with what was going wrong

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Do a search on service 4wd and you'll find that quite a few people have had this issue. I am currently waiting for a tranfer case shift motor that is on back order for mine. I hope this fixes it but a lot of people have had their final drive control module or wheel sensors replaced to fix it. I'd take it to the dealer now it may take them a while to track it down it seems

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
Do a search on service 4wd and you'll find that quite a few people have had this issue. I am currently waiting for a tranfer case shift motor that is on back order for mine. I hope this fixes it but a lot of people have had their final drive control module or wheel sensors replaced to fix it. I'd take it to the dealer now it may take them a while to track it down it seems
That's a very uncommon problem you have with yours.

·
Registered
203 Posts
the service light could be as simple as a wheel sensor that didn't respond for a short period to needing a transfer case. I would mention it to the service adviser on your next visit unless it happens again then I would just call them and ask if you should bring it in for a quick look.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had the very same problem the other day but my truck wouldn't go into 4wd even when the selector was in 4wd and the 4wd light was on. After stopping, putting the selector into two wheel drive, doing a few donuts, turning it off, and then back on...the serv 4wd light didn't come back on and my 4wd worked with no problems. I had a hunch that it was most likely a frozen wheel speed sensor...if the truck can't tell how fast it's going, it won't shift into 4wd. The serv 4wd light does still come on at start up but then disappears...I'm guessing its because the error code is probably still stored in the truck's memory. The truck is going in on Monday for the dealership to take a look at another issue so I'm going to mention it to them and see if they can see the error and can clear it and hopefully that will stop the serv 4wd light from coming on at start up. Like I said, it does go out a couple seconds later but its still a nuisance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What if 4x4 light flashed then red dot light came on and now hearing grinding noise and truck seems to be stuck in neautral. Won't go any where had to get towed

·
Registered
15,461 Posts
Not sure what it is, but grinding noises would seem to indicate a mechanical issue, possibly caused by an electrical issue. Did you check for codes?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Before you pay anybody to look at it, check that the cable to the 4wd transfer case is securely fastened. Over the years mine seemed to slip off and that was my issue and plugging it back in securely fixed it for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts