DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been out of town for a week or so and now that I am back my service airbag system light keeps going on and off randomly while driving. Anyone else have this happen?

·
Registered
678 Posts
I can't claim to know anything about this, let alone 4th gen trucks, but could it be a loose fuse/ wiring? I had this happen once in my '96, loose fuse that wasn't loose enough to actually cause issues, but kept causing error messages as it wriggled. New fuse, no errors.

Just throwing an idea that came to mind out there, sorry if I'm way out there.
Good luck!

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have been out of town for a week or so and now that I am back my service airbag system light keeps going on and off randomly while driving. Anyone else have this happen?
Been having this same exact issue since 2 or 3 days. It's annoying because the airbag defect light comes on with a chime, stays a bit, goes off, and then every time it comes on again it chimes. Wouldn't be too bad if it would just chime once and then just have the sensor light stay on until you shut down the truck. But it just keeps getting on intermittently, every 1 or 2 minutes...

Have an apppointment with the dealer on Wednesday, will see what they can find. In the meantime, will check if I have any loose fuses.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Thought I would post what my truck's problem was with the airbag system if it can be helpful to anyone.

The dealership service guys found the problem rapidly enough: it was a defective clock spring. Had no idea what a clock spring was so found this description from Wikipedia:

In vehicle steering systems a clockspring is a special rotary electrical connector which allows a vehicle's steering wheel to turn while still making an electrical connection between the steering wheel airbag and/or the vehicle's horn and other devices and the vehicle's electrical systems. The clockspring is located between the steering wheel and the steering column. Clocksprings generally consist of a flat multicore cable wound in a spiral shape similar to a clock spring, hence the name.

The service guys told me there was no chance the airbag could have deployed spontaneously because of that. To the contrary, it may not have deployed in an accident. Other steering wheel functions were not impacted: I could use cruise control and change radio stations and radio volume.

They replaced it for a brand new one. Of course, with only 5,100 km (3,200 miles) on the truck, it was under warranry and didn't cost me anything. It's the only issue I've had on this truck so far, still very happy with the truck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem. I did what others suggested. I check the fuse, the harnesses under the seat. The warning light would come on in the morning only when I started the truck. I remember someone in the forum talking about seatbelt. I look over to the passenger side and saw that the seat belt was not fully retracted. It was hung up on the seat, I pushed it off the seat. The light has not come on since. It has been over a month now.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I had the same problem. I did what others suggested. I check the fuse, the harnesses under the seat. The warning light would come on in the morning only when I started the truck. I remember someone in the forum talking about seatbelt. I look over to the passenger side and saw that the seat belt was not fully retracted. It was hung up on the seat, I pushed it off the seat. The light has not come on since. It has been over a month now.
That was just a coincidence. Whether the seatbelt is fully retracted or not has no bearing on the airbag. There is a switch in the female part of the seatbelt receptacle that will sense whether the seatbelt is buckled or not but that's it.
The position of the male portion is not sensed and does not affect anything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i had this same issue before, and now its come back again a year later, when i took it to the dealer, they said it was a loose connector under the drivers seat.
i just recently vaccumed out my truck, so going to open and close all the connectors under both seats. will let you know if that solved the issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts