DODGE RAM FORUM banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Same problem: '13 Ram 1500

"Service Trailer Brake System"
"Service Antilock Brake System"

Mine happened as soon as I put the truck in 4wd when is snowed this pass weekend. It stayed on while in 4wd (about 4 days) Its been on/off ever since. 50/50.

I got the same message last winter when it snowed as well. But this time the code decided to stick around. What I got from reading the forums:

-It could be the trailer brake harness. Corrosion or dirty connectors.
(I read somewhere that the trailer wires are connected to the abs. So you cant have one light without the other.)

-Some say its a speed sensor on one of the wheels.
(Im not too sure how to test for that or which wheel to test)

-I have also read it is very common on trucks with level kits and over sized tires. (35x12.5x20 in my case)
But given that its a common problem on lifted rams, I have yet to see a fix.

Any insight from anyone on how to start troubleshooting?

4wd is disabled when the lights come on, unless you got lucky like me and get it in 4x4 before the lights turn on.. then as long as you dont take it out of 4x4, it will stay in 4wd.
Wierd it might just fixed itself on my truck. Drove it all weekend and the messages are gone and brakes are working as normal. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Mine seems to do it when I hit a bump or turn the steering wheel. But not every time. How the hell does one troubleshoot that? Lol

·
Super Moderator
34,699 Posts
ABS can get triggered by wheel speed sensors. Maybe there's an issue with the wiring that obviates itself when you turn because it pulls the wire slightly

·
Registered
687 Posts
Yeah my thoughts exactly. So I checked the two front sensors with an ohm meter, not 100% sure what I’m looking for and google doesn’t seem to be helping either. Anyway the two sensors actually read different. Right was showing 6.1 megohm or 6100 ohms and it’s not changing when I spin the wheel. The left side showed .453 megohm and changes between that and infinite as I spin the wheel. I’m thinking right side sensor but still not completely sure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Big Red Owner

I just recently started having those two errors on my 2013 Sport 1500 so I did some research. I was skeptical about the posts that said the issue was likely due to fuses not being seeded correctly. After all, why would the problem show up at 101k miles. Long story short, I reseeded the fuses and the problem seems to have magically gone away...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Update...
Finally got around to it. Replaced both wheel/speed sensors. Took about maybe an hr to do. About $20/each at the local parts store. And no lights on the dash :) No reset, nothing needed. Just started it up and no lights.

There are plenty of threads on how to replace it as well as youtube videos.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wierd it might just fixed itself on my truck. Drove it all weekend and the messages are gone and brakes are working as normal. Fingers crossed.
Mine only did it when I was carrying a lot of weight in the back, or if it was snowing and I put it in 4wd. It would then go away on its own as well. Happened off and on for about a year. Just this last time I had about 20 bags of mulch, light came on, never went off. But easy fix! Im just glad I dont have to have this issue in the snow when I really need me 4wd

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 2500 . I took it in for a airbag recall and when I got the truck back the abs light is now on. The mechanic told the counter guy it needed a new abs pump. I told him that the pump can't go out with a computer upgrade and of he replaced the pump they would replace the abs computer. The manager told the counter guy order both and be done with it. I flipped out and told him that was the wrong thing to say and the main computer will be replaced if this does not work. I believe nobody knows what the recall flash messed up and ram did not test the fix. I am worried I am the test dummy stuck with a 70,000 paper weight that they should replace. Gonna have the abs pump and module replaced Dec 1st will update with results. Even if the results are good once the warranty runs out and it does it again then they will say it is my fault I didn't do something correctly. What do ya do.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hi guys,
resurrecting this old thread. I have been getting the "Service ABS and Trailer Brake "warning for a few days. I need to change the front brakes and thought it was somehow related.

Now if the lights dont come on as soon as I start the truck, when I use the brakes the ABS is kicking in like mad when I press the pedal, like its sliding on ice. The truck then goes into limp mode and wont get out of 2 or 3rd gear. I shut it off and got it to go up to 6th gear. Driving it a bit further, the warning lights finally came on and the gearing was back to normal.

So thinking its maybe the wheel speed sensors and hopefully not the ABS computer. Thoughts?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Update: Replaced the front brakes; pads and rotors. Front speed sensors looked OK.

Still have the Service ABS and Service Trailer Brake warning. Before the warning lights comes on, applying the brakes activates the ABS right before stopping, like its sliding. Once the warning light comes on, the ABS stops working.

Therefore not sure if its the ABS module, ABS pump, PCM, or wheel speed sensors, or the trailer brake unit. I dont think its the wheel speed sensors, as I am not getting those codes. My codes are:
U0140 - Lost Communication with the Body Control Module
U1110-00 - Occupant Restraint Controller - Lost vehicle Speed Message
U0415 - Invalid Data Received from ABS Control Module
C10c7-00 Electronic Trailer Brake Control output

Not sure where to start, but I suspect with the ABS module...

·
Registered
1 Posts
2012 Ram 3500
Ez Lynk exhaust and intake
6in SHITech lift

Problem:
Trailer Brake Disconnected
Service Trailer brake
Service 4wd
Cruise control not working all the time
Brake controller flash CF!
Remote start not working

Solution:
No codes showing on ezLynk. Plugged into snap on diagnoses device and brake switch going bad L1, L2. Replaced switch super easy right behind the brake pedal. 1/4 twist unlocks it slides out then unplug old and throw in the new. Put about 100miles on it so far and all the problem have gone away.

·
Registered
1 Posts
recently had the electric brake check issue, all checks came on ABS, electric brake system, and trailer brake check, truck would not shift out of park, cranked fine. 2014 ecodiesel with 89K miles on it. Took to dealer, diagnosed as a dead cell in battery (still cranked fine?), replaced battery now all clear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 ram ecodiesel and i have both of these messages now as well service trailer brake system and service ABS, i noticed 4WD doesnt work at cruise control doesnt work at all and my traction control is turned off and my steering wheel is slithly misaligned. My mechanic thinks its a wheel bearing going out and i am bringing it to the shop this week i called the local ram dealership and asked if it all could all be related to the bearings going out. And they said possibly. What is everyone else’s experience with this

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello Everyone. I had this issue just after buying my Ram used. I will try and make this as short as possible. I had the same issue at 62000 mi. Dealership troubleshot it down to either the ABS module or the Steering column control module in the Clockspring. Estimate $1731.00. I blew my stack after hearing that. I spent 17 years in the USAF trouble shooting fighter aircraft. We troubleshot down to the exact module that was the issue. We didn't have the luxury of just replacing parts at someone else's expense. I told them to shove it. Let me regress a little with what was going on with the vehicle when it acted up. I would get the brake system and trailer brake system warning then the anti skid light would come on, the wipers would start and I had no control over them. Backup camera guide bars disappeared, Cruise control inop.Several codes were in the system. etc. etc.

I took it to another dealer and they troubleshot it to the same two modules as the other dealership. But the technician strongly suggested replacing the Clock-spring/Steering column control module over the troubleshooting tree in their tech data. I went with that fix at a cost of $768.00 dollars. 3 weeks later all the same lights and issues came back on. Back to the dealership and was told that they were made aware of some bad Clock-spring/steering control modules so they ordered me a new and improved module Came back in for the install and it was put in. That was 2 months ago now and all is well. Specifically the Steering angle sensor in the SCCM (Steering Control Column Module) was bad. By replacing the Clock-spring/SCCM that solved the issue. I see this as a savings of nearly $1000.00 over what I was first quoted, so a win I guess.

I have to add that none of this was easy for me as I live almost 40 miles from any dealership. Between the troubleshooting trips and the installs of parts it took 6 trips back and forth over 8 months to finally get this truck working right.

First picture is the original findings:
Second is the original quote
Third is the what they did.

IMG_20200119_081050357.jpg IMG_20200119_080949653.jpg IMG_20200119_081050357.jpg IMG_20200119_082620283.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
I want to add to the above post regarding the first dealership that I visited.They first found that none of the recall items had ever been done. The dealership told me that because my vehicle was originally bought in Canada that no American dealerships were authorized to make the repairs on one of the recall issues; because of the different safety regulations between the two countries. That sounded like a bunch of BS to me. I even called FCA and they actually agreed with the dealership that one issue could not be fixed in America. They said that I would have to take the truck back to Canada and have a Canadian citizen take the truck in to a dealership to have it fixed. At this point I thought that I was in the Twilight Zone, between a Rock and a hard spot with no way out. I so wished that I hadn't gotten rid of my Tundra. Anyway when I got the truck over to the other dealer they told me it was a bunch of malarky and did all of the recalls. Anyone ever hear such a story? I won't name the dealership because of possible retribution but beware taking your vehicle to a certain Dodge dealer in Vancouver Wa.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This was very helpful - my ABS and Trailer Brake lights had been coming on - turns out rear drivers side speed sensor had thrown a code. Bought one shipped for $13.99 off Rockauto.com and just swapped - codes dropped immediately. I live up a steep snowy rd in Anchorage AK and I need my 4wd to just get home some days!

Mine happened as soon as I put the truck in 4wd when is snowed this pass weekend. It stayed on while in 4wd (about 4 days) Its been on/off ever since. 50/50.

I got the same message last winter when it snowed as well. But this time the code decided to stick around. What I got from reading the forums:

(I read somewhere that the trailer wires are connected to the abs. So you cant have one light without the other.)

-I have also read it is very common on trucks with level kits and over sized tires. (35x12.5x20 in my case)

4wd is disabled when the lights come on, unless you got lucky like me and get it in 4x4 before the lights turn on.. then as long as you dont take it out of 4x4, it will stay in 4wd.
ful

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2014 ram 2500, that had the same problem. What i found out was that the steering wheel alignment was out and my steering wheel had been turning over a few days. After aligning steering wheel and locking it down with lock tight. The code cleared itself after about 5 mins of driving around. So check your steering wheel alignment.

I have a 2014 ram ecodiesel and i have both of these messages now as well service trailer brake system and service ABS, i noticed 4WD doesnt work at cruise control doesnt work at all and my traction control is turned off and my steering wheel is slithly misaligned. My mechanic thinks its a wheel bearing going out and i am bringing it to the shop this week i called the local ram dealership and asked if it all could all be related to the bearings going out. And they said possibly. What is everyone else’s experience with this
Align steering wheel first!!!!!!!!

Align steering wheel first!!!!!!!!
Steering wheel alignment is very easy and can be done in the driveway. When it works itself loose. It throws the service electronic brake code. After alignment go drive it for 5 mins. Lock tight the alignment nuts. This will save you about 500-1500 from dealership for 10dollar lock tight and waiting 20 mins.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got these same exact messages after I installed and aftermarket amp and subwoofer via a Line Out Converter. I had disconnected the battery ran my wires hooked everything up, reconnected the battery. On the first start after reconnecting the battery I got " service electronic braking system" and "service trailer brake system" warnings, and also my front and rear park sense would not stay on. I disconnected the battery and let it sit for about 10 minutes, reconnected it and made sure everything was tight and they went away and everything is working normally since then. Only 900 miles on mine when it happened, I have about 1500 now.
Thanks I am going to try that!

·
Registered
3 Posts

21 - 40 of 47 Posts