DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined the forum and have a question for all you Ram truck owners. I have 7,500 on my year old 2015 Ram 1500 Big horn. A couple of weeks ago I got the Service Shifter on the dash but didn't think much about it. Well, after another week went by it was coming on between 15 to 20 times with bells going off within 4 miles of my house. I called the dealer and they couldn't get me in until a week later. I wasn't to happy about that cause now I didn't trust taking the truck to far so I told them that and said I wanted to drop it off and I did need a truck for a loaner which they obliged. It's been there over a week now. They replaced the shifter and it still came up with Service Shifter. I talked to the service person at the desk this morning and he said it's more complex and they haven't figured it out yet. I told him that I can't be the only person in the U.S.A. thats had this issue so have they checked with Chrysler. All he said is he keep me posted but I didn't get a call back yet. Anyone out there have this happen to their truck? How long can a dealer keep your NEW truck?

Thanks for listening

·
Super Moderator
34,697 Posts
Almost 56,000 miles without this issue. If the shifter didn't do it then perhaps its either the wiring harness or switch module (valve body) in the transmission

·
Registered
94 Posts
The dealer may keep your truck for as long as it takes or as long as you let them.

I feel your pain brother! The Dealer's Service Department had my truck on three separate occasions for a total of 34 days while the Service Department and I fought Chrysler over a transmission issue.

I look at it this way. If they obliged you with a loaner truck, then put the mileage on their vehicle while yours is being worked on. I know it's frustrating but just hang in there and it will get fixed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies!!
The dealer called me today and said they were going to replace the valve body this coming Thursday so we'll see how it goes. I've never had a vehicle that's been in for repair this long. Not to happy with the service.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What was the final solution for this problem. I had "Service Shifter" error on my 2016 1500 come up with the "Check Engine Light".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What was the final solution for this problem. I had "Service Shifter" error on my 2016 1500 come up with the "Check Engine Light".
After having the truck for month almost they replaced the valve body in the tranny. I have not had an issue since.

·
Registered
9 Posts
After having the truck for month almost they replaced the valve body in the tranny. I have not had an issue since.
Thanks for the update!

I'm sure mine will go through the same steps as yours. I hope "replace the shifter" will do it and not as complicated as your valve body replacement. Same story, they can't take the truck in to look at it for two weeks. They said to drive it as long as the CEL doesn't flash. But sure, what about shifting out of "Drive" without turning the engine off...

gk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the update!

I'm sure mine will go through the same steps as yours. I hope "replace the shifter" will do it and not as complicated as your valve body replacement. Same story, they can't take the truck in to look at it for two weeks. They said to drive it as long as the CEL doesn't flash. But sure, what about shifting out of "Drive" without turning the engine off...

gk
The first thing they did was to replace the shifter and that wasn't it and they left the new one in.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
People need to understand today's vehicles are not yesterdays vehicles. Today everything is controlled by computer modules, yesterdays vehicles had no computer modules in fact it was a big deal when electronic ignition came out.

I remember the first fuel injected Dodge Daytona the dealer I worked at got in, no one could start the damn thing because everyone was treating it like it had a carburetor and pumping the accelerator pedal and holding it part way down.

That shut off the fuel supply on those cars so it would not start.

Those were just the beginning of the computer age in cars.

Now everything is controlled by different computer modules and people expect the dealer to pull the car/trunk into the service bay hook up a scan tool and think the scan tool tells them what to replace.

Well it does not work that way, all the scan tool can do is direct them via the code to the system that is throwing the code, you still have to check each component in the system. It becomes even more difficult when it is a problem that is intermittent or only happens after a certain amount of time and of course all of us genius owners who think we know it all never provide the detailed information, we only go in and say it is broke fix it.

Alright I will step off the soap box.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
People need to understand today's vehicles are not yesterdays vehicles. Today everything is controlled by computer modules, yesterdays vehicles had no computer modules in fact it was a big deal when electronic ignition came out.

I remember the first fuel injected Dodge Daytona the dealer I worked at got in, no one could start the damn thing because everyone was treating it like it had a carburetor and pumping the accelerator pedal and holding it part way down.

That shut off the fuel supply on those cars so it would not start.

Those were just the beginning of the computer age in cars.

Now everything is controlled by different computer modules and people expect the dealer to pull the car/trunk into the service bay hook up a scan tool and think the scan tool tells them what to replace.

Well it does not work that way, all the scan tool can do is direct them via the code to the system that is throwing the code, you still have to check each component in the system. It becomes even more difficult when it is a problem that is intermittent or only happens after a certain amount of time and of course all of us genius owners who think we know it all never provide the detailed information, we only go in and say it is broke fix it.

Alright I will step off the soap box.

Speak for yourself on the above statement. When I took my truck in They knew exactly what I was saying and even pictures of the warning that took place every 5 minutes. Not intermittently! I don't care a damn about a computer module or whatever new technology it is, If I'm paying upwards of 40 grand they sure better know how to diagnose a problem or better yet a better quality control system. I've owned a lot of new vehicles in my years and never had so many recalls as the last 3 Dodge Rams and Jeeps. I bought Chargers and dusters in the 60s and 70s and not once did I take one in for a recall. Don't get me wrong, I really like my Ram
now that its fixed. Do they start better than when we had carburetors, of course they do. And people that couldn't get those new newfangled cars without carburetors to start just didn't pay attention to the salesman or didn't read. Don't tell everyone here they were stupid. You might not mind wasting your time at a dealership or not being able to drive the vehicle you paid mega thousands of for but I do. Your statement just hit the wrong button on me

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

Speak for yourself on the above statement. When I took my truck in They knew exactly what I was saying and even pictures of the warning that took place every 5 minutes. Not intermittently! I don't care a damn about a computer module or whatever new technology it is, If I'm paying upwards of 40 grand they sure better know how to diagnose a problem or better yet a better quality control system. I've owned a lot of new vehicles in my years and never had so many recalls as the last 3 Dodge Rams and Jeeps. I bought Chargers and dusters in the 60s and 70s and not once did I take one in for a recall. Don't get me wrong, I really like my Ram
now that its fixed. Do they start better than when we had carburetors, of course they do. And people that couldn't get those new newfangled cars without carburetors to start just didn't pay attention to the salesman or didn't read. Don't tell everyone here they were stupid. You might not mind wasting your time at a dealership or not being able to drive the vehicle you paid mega thousands of for but I do. Your statement just hit the wrong button on me
You still don't get it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The first thing they did was to replace the shifter and that wasn't it and they left the new one in.
Brought the truck in today at 2050 miles on the odometer. It was giving me "service shifter" errors every other day. It shifts forward gears fine but when you have that error, to shift into Park or Reverse, it requires you shut the engine off and wait for the dash display to go completely off. Not great for trying to make a tight u-turn.

The service writer had never seen that error before, which makes me believe that it isn't a common failure. They still have the truck. Just like you, it seems to be more complicated than "replacing the shifter". I'll update when I find out...

·
Registered
9 Posts
The service writer had never seen that error before said:
Oh yeah, I took pictures of the "service shifter error" and it happened again on the way to the dealer so the CEL was on. Didn't have to worry about explaining it or them saying they couldn't reproduce it.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Todays mechanics are parts changers, not troubleshooters.

"I have never seen that before", "first time seeing that", "thats new"... Thisngs my service rep says when I ask for an oil change and the oil change reminder is on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Got my truck back today after seven days in the shop. Electronic Shifter Module was replaced P/N 68171964AH. Found it on the web for $90. Looks like revision H, so many changes since its use in 2013.

They listed the error codes found: U1465-00, U1466-00, U1267-00, P1DF3-00, P0705-00. Hmmm, my OBDII reader only had two codes. Need to find a more Mopar specific reader if I can.

What took a week? Don't know. Does it take that long for a dealer to get a part if they don't have it? Either it's a uncommon part to get or it's flying off the shelves and in short supply... No labor time listed but it can't be that long to replace.

Keep my fingers crossed that that was the real problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bought my 1500 on President's Day... 6 days later I threw the same code for "service shifter.... but it did not come up with my code reader. Service Shifter only showed up a couple of times on the dash, but CEL never turned off.
Took it in on Sunday night and dropped it off for the dealer to look at. They had it finished by 10am the next morning (got lucky!)

Anyways, what they did and said was... Coolant Bypass Valve was stuck. They replaced and cleared codes and it has been good since...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Anyways, what they did and said was... Coolant Bypass Valve was stuck. They replaced and cleared codes and it has been good since...
Gosh, What's a Coolant Bypass Valve have to do with "Service Shifter"? Regardless, I hope you don't experience that failure again! That must of been a shock on a truck so new...

Mine's been good for a month, so it looks like I'm fixed with the part change too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same Issue

I have had the same thing happen. I had my cruise control set on 70mph on the highway when I suddenly had no gas. I was able to coast to the side of the hwy. The D light was flashing and a message about have the shifter serviced, was on. I've taken into the dealership twice. First time they installed some computer updates. But it did it again when I was 10 minutes down the road after picking it up.

Today they told me they could find nothing wrong and my keys must be too heavy. Seriously? I have 2 extra keys besides that fob. So again, seriously?
Just because I'm a woman doesn't mean I'm an idiot. I paid a LOT of money for this truck and if it continues to mess up I'll continue to take it back for service. I understand that they are having a hard time figuring out what is wrong. They still have an obligation to stand behind their product. Especially a product that costs as much as a small house. So don't soap box me about how hard their job is.

I will say that my dealership does get me in within the same week and never keeps it over a day. I just don't want to be driving down the hwy and it suddenly stops running. What if it doesn't start? What if I've forgotten my phone? What if some weirdo comes up while I'm stranded? It's scary for us women to be stranded.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts