DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Dodge ram 1500 Laramie with the 8 gear transmission. I was pulling up to the gas pumps at a Costco and was fourth in line so I placed the vehicle in park so that I would not risk rolling forward into somebody. The shifter service warning came up on the center of my display and now I cannot shift it out of park. does anybody have any suggestions I've got a friend coming with a code reader because I have seen people say that that may clear it otherwise I have to have the vehicle towed. And to make life a little better of course it's a Sunday.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Check the code then disconnect the battery for a few minutes to reset pcm. It may fix the issue. Seen it work on similar issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the code then disconnect the battery for a few minutes to reset pcm. It may fix the issue. Seen it work on similar issues.
So I pulled the battery leads and let it sit and now I have a P1DF3 code and I can't start up the truck and it's now giving me an engine light a trailer brake light and a bunch of other stuff and the worst part is is it's locked in park. So I looked up how to take it out of park manually and the directions that are online or for the fourth generation and this is a fifth generation and what I'm looking at does not look like what's on the video. The little tab that it talks about moving so that you don't break it is not there.

·
Registered
295 Posts
There is a plastic trim door under neath the parking brake release, pull door off and pull on handle under door.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a plastic trim door under neath the parking brake release, pull door off and pull on handle under door.
I did that and I didn't damage anything but the only video they've got for it is for the fourth generation and if you watch that one there's a little slide that you're supposed to use your key on that's not there for the fifth generation one.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Screenshot_20210110-203050.jpg
Not sure if this will help but instructions from 19 manual
I did that and I didn't damage anything but the only video they've got for it is for the fourth generation and if you watch that one there's a little slide that you're supposed to use your key on that's not there for the fifth generation one.
Not sure if this will help but page from 2019 manual

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked in there and there was no tab to slide I know the tab you're talking about because it's very easily seen in the video that's posted that is for a 14 to 18 Dodge it's like they removed that because all that you had to do was you pulled the lever and it went out of park and then once it was pulled out if you pulled it so it clicked and then put it back in it was back in park. I hate to say it but the 19 RAM manual is not accurate for the truck I have and I've noticed that a couple of times

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
THAT is exactly what I saw and did but that is not what is shown in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just went out to my 2019 Ram to verify operation of the parking release, and yep, it's just like in the video.
My version of the owner's manual is incorrect as well.

Steve

·
Registered
19 RAM 1500 5.7 Etorque. Falcon Wildpeak AT3W/ JMS PedalMax/weatherTech TechLiner/Gator Quad fold
158 Posts
I'm sure this doesn't help but might be worth mentioning to your service department...last forum I was on a guy had a similar issue in his limited...he said it was two things...the Ebrake wouldn't disengage and the vehicle wouldn't shift out of park due to having his seatbelt off and or door open. Something about a safety feature that malfunctioned my Bighorn doesn't have both safety features so no experience in my end.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Try resetting the computers again, when the trucks off see if you can turn the ignition on and get it to shift out of park? Not too smart with new stuff.... daily driver is a 82 ram.

ayden

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well when this happened I was sitting waiting to go up to the gas pumps at Costco my seat belt was on my door was closed so it wasn't a safety override like that but I do appreciate the input.
Try resetting the computers again, when the trucks off see if you can turn the ignition on and get it to shift out of park? Not too smart with new stuff.... daily driver is a 82 ram.

ayden
Now at dealer, they are replacing shifter, min 2 days to get part in.

·
Registered
19 RAM 1500 5.7 Etorque. Falcon Wildpeak AT3W/ JMS PedalMax/weatherTech TechLiner/Gator Quad fold
158 Posts
Well when this happened I was sitting waiting to go up to the gas pumps at Costco my seat belt was on my door was closed so it wasn't a safety override like that but I do appreciate the input.
Ah ok, right on. That was going to be my next guess...I remember a few ppl having issues with the wires getting "messed up" within the shifter but didnt remember what their symptoms were.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a similar problem on my few months old 2017. It went into PARK on its own while driving and would not shift out of park. "Service Shifter" indicated. Luckily the transmission was smart enough not to lock up. I had to pull over and turn the truck off and sit. Eventually, it would go back to normal and operate. This happened 3-4 times before I took pictures of the error and sent it to the dealer. They replaced the shifter assembly and it has been good since. My opinion of Ram wasn't too favorable at that time, I imagine you feel the same way as I did, especially with the screw up in the manual for your park release.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts