DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got back from a camping trip with my truck and when I dropped the trailer off and was heading home, my truck started beeping and one message after another popped up.

Service ABS
Service electronic brake system
Service air bags
Service stability control
Check engine light

I called my stealership and they told me I have to pay 140$ for an engine diagnostics to see if the issues are covered by my warranty or not. I tried unhooking the battery to clear the codes but they came right back.

Anyone else see or hear of this problem before, or know what I can do? If I absolutely have to, I will pay to get it fixed but am hoping there is a simple fix.

Thanks

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've never had to pay for diagnostics while my vehicles were under warranty. Is there another dealership you can contact?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Things may be different in Canada, but regardless you should never have to pay a Diagnostics charge to see if an error condition is covered by the Manufacturer Warranty. There should be a phone number for Chrysler Canada in your Owner's Manual. Try them. Also use a different dealer. Whatever caused the messages will be a warranty issue unless you installed a tuner such as a Bullydog or Trinity. I have a Bullydog tuner in mine and I got all of those messages when the tune didn't download correctly. Bullydog had me disconnect my battery cable and touch them together for several minutes to clear the condition. If you don't have a tuner then I would let the dealership handle it.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
It shouldn't cost you a thing. Your truck is less than 2 years old it should be covered under warranty. Look for another dealer, this one is trying to get $140 out of you.

·
Registered
288 Posts
What they probably meant, was if the problem is not a warranty/defect caused problem, there will be an hour diag charge. If it is warranty, you will not pay anything.

This is a big area of confusion/source of conflict when it comes to diagnosis. Someone brings their vehicle in because something is wrong. Everybody assumes it's warranty, and will be no charge. Tech diagnoses it, and find's out it's not a warranty concern. Customer is then on the hook for paying diagnosis, and the repair.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I am wondering, while I wait for another appointment, if it could be a bad ground. I'm wondering because the lights only seem to come on when I am driving on rough/bumpy, and a lot when I am turning.
ie if I pull into work (left turn, followed by an immediate right) I touch the brakes then i feel the ABS skip then ding ding ding
or if I am driving straight then hit a bump ding ding ding
Any one able to suggest where I can look for the grounds to see if any need cleaning or fixing? thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
it is not every time I turn either, it seems like when I am turning sharply and feathering the brakes.
The lights clear after about 30 seconds and it can go an hour without going off or other times, when it is cool and damp, then it can go off non stop.
Again the lights are:

Service ABS
Service electronic brake system
Service trailer brake system
Service air bags
Service stability control

·
Registered
244 Posts
Difficult to tell you where or what is wrong with it from a computer. But, since you mentioned after hauling a trailer around. May I suggest that you first look at the trailer electrical connector. Look for something that may be shorting out the system. Maybe a broken pin? Electrical problems are always a pain from start to finish.

But, as suggested, let the dealer find it, if you can't. That $140 diagnostics is for non warranty related items.

·
Registered
10 Posts
No matter how you put it its under warranty and you wount have to pay for it.
Only time they can refuse todo under warranty is if truck was involved in big accidents or flood, or tunned. Thats in my opinion anyway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I checked the wiring to the trailer hitch, and it is all clean. I tried having a buddy inside to watch the dash, while I layed underneath and pulled, and wiggled the wiring bundles under there to no avail.

The more I drive it the more I notice about it:
- like the display (behind steering wheel, not centre console) blinks now
- almost always triggers when i turn right (turn sharp, not gentle rights)
- when I am braking and turning the ABS kicks in for a split second then all the lights come on, then go out after 30 seconds or so
- last night (heavy rain) the electronic stability control was kicking in from the stop position to go (felt like I was on ice, and truck wouldn't move, then lights came on and stayed on, vs going out after 30 seconds)

Do you think when the airbag light is on, the air bags are disabled? Worries me as my wife is pregnant, and drives the truck here and there. . .

Thanks

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
you need to go to the dealer, the possibilities of what could be wrong are endless. to ease your mind, ask your dealer what wouldn't be covered under your bumper to bumper warranty.

·
Registered
244 Posts
As Huntergreen suggested. Take it to the dealer. Especially since self diagnosis is not working for you. It could be something with the computer.

·
Registered
244 Posts
As Huntergreen suggested. Take it to the dealer. Especially since self diagnosis is not working for you. It could be something with the computer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I finally got the truck into the dealer. Turns out my front passenger shock ate my wheel speed sensor wires and they were touching on bumps and what not. Cost me $175, and they wanted another 400 and some for the new sensor and 2 hours labor. I tried to fight it but they said it wasn't covered under warranty as I had a leveling kit installed and they are blaming it for it coming out of its fastener and getting chewed up. So I bought the part and did it myself in under 20 minutes. After switching the part, truck is now good to go.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Congratulations. Although it did cost you some money. Glad it all worked out though. Now you are safe again, and not going nuts over what the cause is.

·
Registered
778 Posts
No matter how you put it its under warranty and you wount have to pay for it.
Only time they can refuse to do under warranty is if truck was involved in big accidents or flood, or tunned. Thats in my opinion anyway.
That's not entirely true. If there are any unauthorized modifications to a system on the truck that may have contributed to a failure, they can refuse to honor the factory warranty.

·
Super Moderator
34,745 Posts
Yeah, since the problem was related to an aftermarket part then I don't think it is unreasonable for the warranty to be denied. Magnuson-Moss wouldn't apply.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having this same problem. It started with a tire pressure warning first that moved from the front left to the rear left sensor. After that, all of the same warnings came up for me. I have an appointment with the dealership, but I'm hoping to gain some insight before the appointment. I don't have a lot of faith in service departments.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts