DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
When I'm driving at about 70 mph i have a "SHIMMY" in the truck. Had the tires checked and rebalanced. they checked the suspension and so on. A buddy of mine is experiencing the same issue with his truck..
Any Ideas??
Thanx,
Elgrecco.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I see your truck is a '10, so I'm guessing you've been through a previous winter with it. Sometimes cold tires give a symptom that can be somewhat similar to a shimmy. Are you sure you're not having a cold tire feedback instead of a shimmy? Also some tires as they age can get cold feedback until they warm up a bit. Do you get this feedback all the time, even after quite a bit of highway driving? Did this just start up this winter?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Mines been this way since day one, except mine is more of a vibration than shimmy as described. Dealers is claiming the 20's are notorious for problems....specifically the Goodyear tire. I'm up to 3k miles at this point, and still trying to figure this one out. Other than buying new tires to prove their theory (and mine), I have a brand new truck with a vibration. :smiledown:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a similar issue too. My passenger seat, if empty, shakes side to side around 70-75. I have changed my tires and still have the issue.

·
Registered
35,470 Posts
When I picked up my truck and drove it on the highway I noticed that same shimmy. The passenger seat shook like crazy as well and I thought that they may have forgot some bolts at the factory....

I have taken it in to the dealer and they advised that everything was fine and I was also informed that the 20's cause this issue....

Is there any fix??? I did a ton of research before I purchased this truck and now I am fiding that is has all these issues and only 1900 kms on it...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought my 2012 Ram Sport 4X4. New to the forum, so Hi! I came here looking for answers to why my brand new truck was shaking straight out of the dealer lot. After a few trips back to the dealer, the service manager decided to swap out like wheels and tires with anothere truck. BAM problem fixed! I don't know if it was the tires or wheels but all is good. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
Long story but true

i had my tires rotated many times
over a period of tme i started noticing a shimmy, on one 360 mile trip, i noticed that my arms were getting tired.
I went to the dealership & told them to check it out, they did, kept my truck for about 6 hours. They told me that they rebalanced the wheels & everything was good to go, i drove on the city streets to get to the highway, & guess what? no change & i turned the Ram around & went right back to them, they again checked it out & found nothing.
Then i asked if anything had been done just before i took that trip, they had rotated the tires.
I drove to Discount Tire & had them UNrotate & balance the tires, shimmy was gone. I drove it across country, 7,600 miles, but in the back of my mind i thought about the balance.
When i returned home i went in for regular service & a tire rotation, shimmy came back.
I cleared the TRIP METER when i dropped it off, when they called me to say the Ram was ready & there was no shimmy, i first checked the trip meter & saw that they had only driven it 7 miles, not enough to get to the highway & run it at 70mph for at least 2 miles & return back to the dealership. I again put it on the highway & there was the shimmy again.
I was pissed & asked them if they had a Hunter Road Force Balance machine, they said they did, (a machine is only as good as the operator), I told them to strip every weight & start from scratch & put someone on the Hunter machine that knew what he was doing, not the custodian or the lube jockey. Guess what, all new weights which they charged me dearly for, they never even cleaned the old weight glue off & you could plainly see where the old weights had been. I had no further shimmy right up to when i changed wheels & tires.
Next time i will take my rotations to a tire shop that has the Hunter Road Force Balance Machine, the dealership may put the guy that washes the vehicles on their balance machine next time.

By the way, the Service Writer tried to tell me that i must have rubbed some weights off when i hit a curb, there are No weights anywhere to get rubbed off, there are glued on to the inside of the wheel

·
Registered
23 Posts
i have this problem as well. i never had a pickup truck til 3 months ago. and really i just live with it. all i read is goin back and fwd to the dealer, discount tires, etc. and all those trips cost time and money. i want the shimmy to go away dont get me wrong.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
No shimmy at highway speeds after 4K on my 2012 4x4 as of yet. I will say from past experience, most of my wheel shimmy came from poor quality wheels with excessive runout and improper wheel alignment. Unfortunately, our chrome clads are made in China and quality control could be the culprit. Other than that, if you go with aftermarket wheels, make sure they are hubcentric. Also, I can't recall if it was common in 2009-2010 but faulty tie rod ends were causing steering issues with early 4th Gens. Oh and one more point to add, these OE equipped Goodyear Wrangler HP's..............suck. Poor excuse for a truck tire.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an '09 with 32000 miles and also have a shimy at high speeds. I thought this was because of the OE tires and this February, I changed the OE to Cooper Zeon LTZ's. At first, the truck ran great but on a recent trip, the shimmy began again. I bought the tires at a local Discount Tires and asked them for a rotation and a rebalance. This time, there was less vibration, but still noticeable. I'm will check if the rotors are warped or if I need a wheel alignment.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I experienced this with aftermarket wheels/tires. Ended up having a bad wheel and a bad tire (KMC and Nitto)....they just don't make quality stuff anymore.

They've been balanced 3 times, I've watched them do it. I think it's just the way it is...which sucks and is damn right almost unacceptable for a truck that's going to run $30 - 50K+. Bad tie rods, shimmys, rear ends that fall out, leaking struts....this is what Dodge has come too?

I'm a huge Dodge fan, and I know other manufactures have their issues too, but it seems to me that you should be able to design/engineer a 40 thousand dollar truck without a shimmy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts