DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to change the shocks on my 2005 Power Wagon...they are the original ones!!

I tried searching but got little results. I sense that they are the same as a regular 2500 series but I would like confirmation please?

I would like the truck to have a smoother ride so do I need to stick with Bilsteins? How about the Rancho 5000 series?

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I know the newer PWs at least have special shocks made by Bilstein specifically for the Power Wagon, not sure about older ones. Have you tried calling Bilstein and Rancho?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Didn't call but went to Bilstein's website...they have a listing for the 05 PW and it's the same shock has the 2500. I hate it when I forget to do the simplest things, lol. Thanks again Thunderhorse for the reminder!!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So since I'm retired and my son is still in university, repair budget is limited. Bilstein shocks are my first choice, however I don't have the bucks for them right now. A few a my friends suggested Monroe Reflex shocks...anyone with an opinion on those?

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Man, I'd save up for the Bilsteins personally. Sell a dog or a kid if you have too.....

jk :)

-Mike

They definitely aren't that expensive

·
Registered
218 Posts
Check classified ads on forums or other sites. You may find new, or near new take offs. For example, on my previous truck I installed a Carli suspension when my truck had about 10,000 miles on it. I tried selling the factory spring and shock, although I wasn't successful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2012 wagon here. I went with Thuren Fox 2.0 and with more performance built into them. They ride rougher than stock on the freeway.

After about 50k miles, two of them started leaking and I thought I'd try to Thuren Overland, (which are pretty cheap,) to have on hand while the Fox's get rebuilt. Turns out these Overlands ride great on the freeway (better than stock) and the also work off road at slower speeds. Very happy with them.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I need to change the shocks on my 2005 Power Wagon...they are the original ones!!

I tried searching but got little results. I sense that they are the same as a regular 2500 series but I would like confirmation please?

I would like the truck to have a smoother ride so do I need to stick with Bilsteins? How about the Rancho 5000 series?
Bilsteins have a lifetime warranty...

Mc

1 - 12 of 12 Posts