DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealership is saying a short in my wiper motor took out the tipm. Took them 5 days to come to this conclusion. My question is, is that possible? 102,000 on the odo, ext warranty ended @ 100K, $1200 fix. Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Personally I would say no, a shorted motor wouldn't take out the TIPM.

The wipers should be on a relay so all the TIPM would do is turn on the voltage for the relay, the motor would be on the other side of the circuit not touching the TIPM voltage.
It could be possible for the relay to completely short out and take out the TIPM and that shorted relay take out both, but unlikely.

Older relays work with a magnetic field (low voltage/amps) that pulls the contacts together for higher voltage/amps. Solid state relays (work similar to a transistor) would just fail or they could "half wave", not totally work or be half on. In my work working with both I can't remember ever having a controller burn out from a motor down the line from the relay. I have seen a relay take out a controller though.

Update: Was trying to find a schematic for the TIPM but came across some information that said the TIPM is a combined controller and power distribution board so it is possible that a bad motor could damage the board if they are intergrated. Will keep looking if I can find out for sure.

·
Premium Member
15,440 Posts
When These fancy controllers work they work well and save a ton of wiring, which is why they are in all modern vehicles. However this comes at a cost to the consumer when something goes wrong and no warranty is available. Good luck to you, I'd press them to at least partially cover this.

·
Registered
347 Posts
A reputable dealer would do this under warranty. (Stupid website kept cutting me off! Sry about multiple posts!)
OK now, fess up. It's obvious your keyboard is suffering from "stutter" syndrome.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts