DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it shorty headers or longtube, pros and cons of each. opinions. experiences lets hear it all. I can't decide which.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I went with JBA shorties on my Laramie.
I chose them because they are less expensive than long tubes and they work with the factory Y pipe. I also didnt want to remove or modify any factory emissions equipment.

The long tube headers are capable of higher power levels and also have multiple primary tube sizes. Generally 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 vs 1 5/8 on the shorties.
I guess a major concern with header choice would come down to your long-term modification and power level you want from your truck.
My truck is going to stay mostly stock and the shorties were a good bang for the buck mod that would free up some good power and yet not get too involved for my power level and future plans for the truck.
Any way you decide to go, its a HUGE improvement over the factory iron Log Style manifolds.
Hope this helps!
--Glenn

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Glenn pretty much hit the nail on the head.

If you live in an area that doesnt require emissions testing long tubes are easier to get away with then in places that do require them. It cn be a big ticket for tampering with smog equipment as well.

LTs tend to shine up top as well in a "racing" scenario. They will also usually make your truck sound deeper and louder.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Looks like I'll be going with shorties. I really don't want to deal with the potential hassle of longtubes right now. Good thing is I can always change it later.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another question.....I'm looking at the JBA shorties and theres quite a price difference between the ceramic and stainless steel. besides looks is there any noticeable difference?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Moose,
On my JBAs I chose the Ceramic Titanium coated headers.
Though they are a couple hundred $ more then the bare stainless steel, I understand them to stay a bit cooler then the bare stainless offerings as well as staying nicer looking in rough environments.
Performance wise there probably isnt much difference to note, but i have had the bare stainless JBAs on other vehicles I have owned in the past, and while they never corroded in a bad way, they do discolor over time and with heat-cycling.
More for aesthetic reasons than anything else is why i chose the coated JBAs this time around.
As you mentioned, if you decide shorties are not for you in the future you can pull them off and go the LT route. All headers hold their value quite well on the FS section of the forums as they are always desirable.
Good luck and keep us posted.
--Glenn

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Look up jet hot ceramic coatings. I'be seen a lot of times where it's cheaper to buy uncoated headers and have them coated yourself. Jet hot comes in a few different colors and is used by top their racers around the world.

The main difference between coated and non coated is that the coated one keep more heat inside the pipes rather than radiating out keeping exhaust flow up and under hood temps down, both of which yield slight increases in performance

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I think I decided to go with the JBA shorties silver ceramic coated. found a decent price on autoanything bout 100 bucks cheaper than anywhere else online $588

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Well I think I decided to go with the JBA shorties silver ceramic coated. found a decent price on autoanything bout 100 bucks cheaper than anywhere else online $588
talk to [email protected] on this forum, he can probably make the price a little sweeter for being a ramforumz member. Good lucK!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll do that. I haven't ordered them yet but there already is a 10% discount applied also I don't think I can pm yet my post count isn't quite high enough

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
if you have the options, always do lt's over shorty's, I live in an emission testing state and i have to swap my headers out every 2 years to carb legal shorty's for smog testing. To me, the performance benefit outweighs the 2 hour time it takes to swap them in and out...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sup, guys... any have the link of the headers in autoanything? i got a reg.cab 2011 5.7, the headers are listed for fit on 08-10 ram hemi, im from chile so i dont wanna mess up with the buy

Zutal

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
if you have the options, always do lt's over shorty's, I live in an emission testing state and i have to swap my headers out every 2 years to carb legal shorty's for smog testing. To me, the performance benefit outweighs the 2 hour time it takes to swap them in and out...
Chef, next time your emissions roll around shoot me a PM. I know some people up north that could help ya

1 - 14 of 14 Posts