DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a stop and rear ended into the back of a semi. Impact was pretty hard. I was wearing a hat and glasses and the hit threw those onto the dash at impact. 2 hard hits one from the rear and then another once I was thrown into the back of the semi. Suffering from a hurt neck, back and knee. Also have some whiplash. That being said, the airbags did not deploy which I thought was very strange.

It’s been over a week and I still have had no call from the adjuster of the at fault party. Many phone calls, emails etc. I have a truck sitting in my driveway that is unuseable.

this has frame damage to all 4 corners, the bed is tweaked, tailgate damaged. Exhaust, Both bumpers front and rear and all electronics/sensors on them damaged, Genders and hood are out of alignment, passenger door rubs when trying to open, it hit pretty deep into the cavity of the engine bay so at the very least will need new lines, radiator, radiator support, air box, ac lines, condenser, fan etc. don’t know if it got all the way into the engine or not.

so I feel as though the hit was hard enough to deploy the bag, yet they didn’t. Didnt know if there was someone I could call to verify? Also don’t know if they will total this vehicle or not. It’s a 2019 ram rebel with 35k

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I don't know how much of an impact it takes to set off the air bags, but I was rear ended just like you in a Jeep Cherokee (hit in the rear by a semi and pushed into the semi in front of me.) and my air bags deployed. Then again I rear ended a pickup truck in my current truck, '17 Ram Sport Crew cab and my bags did not deploy. I probably hit him doing between 20 to 30 MPH. As for it being totaled I am not really sure, they can work miracles today and trucks are so expensive it takes a lot to total them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Insurance company has been notified. They have done nothing. Should I be surprised?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definitely not enough to total a 1-2yr old $50k truck, curious if airbag logic allows deployment when you’re idle in start/stop mode on these fancy, fuel-efficient, European front-end Fiats.

Would be a recall if not. Hope everyone recovers, well besides your resale.
Vehicle blue book retail is only 30k at the moment. Covid has hit resale hard. Still may not be enough. But if that have an 80% threshold or something on it. I think it’s going to be close.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Insurance company has been notified. They have done nothing. Should I be surprised?
Actually I am surprised. Around here, small town america, they are usually pretty cooperative as the agents want you back. But IAC, best of luck with a downer situation.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Looks as though may have some frame damage, but unsure from photos. But with the buckle I saw in what is supposed to be a straight rocker, if they dont total it soon as its fixed its out of my yard. I just dont think it will drive right. Call the insurance company, then call again. Make them get on the stick. They will probably give you some BS about Covid etc, but they are all working remote anyways.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I hope you recover quickly.

I would assume that the frame damage makes the repair pretty expensive, and thus would push this over into being totalled. Take out what you want now, before it gets towed to the yard.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was at a stop and rear ended into the back of a semi. Impact was pretty hard. I was wearing a hat and glasses and the hit threw those onto the dash at impact. 2 hard hits one from the rear and then another once I was thrown into the back of the semi. Suffering from a hurt neck, back and knee. Also have some whiplash. That being said, the airbags did not deploy which I thought was very strange.

It’s been over a week and I still have had no call from the adjuster of the at fault party. Many phone calls, emails etc. I have a truck sitting in my driveway that is unuseable.

this has frame damage to all 4 corners, the bed is tweaked, tailgate damaged. Exhaust, Both bumpers front and rear and all electronics/sensors on them damaged, Genders and hood are out of alignment, passenger door rubs when trying to open, it hit pretty deep into the cavity of the engine bay so at the very least will need new lines, radiator, radiator support, air box, ac lines, condenser, fan etc. don’t know if it got all the way into the engine or not.

so I feel as though the hit was hard enough to deploy the bag, yet they didn’t. Didnt know if there was someone I could call to verify? Also don’t know if they will total this vehicle or not. It’s a 2019 ram rebel with 35k
View attachment 133114 View attachment 133115 View attachment 133116 View attachment 133117 View attachment 133118 View attachment 133119 View attachment 133121 View attachment 133122 View attachment 133123

·
Registered
25 Posts
First thing you did wrong is contacting the other peoples insurance co. You have insurance and pay them to do the dirty work.

Your company will send an adjust to estimate the damage, not the other company but they might in order to claim your companies adjuster is to high.

I was hit broadside by a small time crooks running a stop sign, I was in a 3 month old Ford Escape Titanium fully loaded, nothing left out with a couple thousand miles on it. Hit and run but the cops know who he is and did nothing.

My insurance sent a fairly new adjuster who said it's repairable, told her I will refuse it as it is totaled and brand new.

Call your insurance and let them handle it but looks to be a total loss. Demand the other company replace it with and here is how you win a new vehicle.

Exact color, model, same exact tires and same miles on them, everything exactly as yours is now OR a brand new one and YOU pick it out, don't let them.

I've been there and know it works so stick to your store of brand new or exactly same as the one they totaled.

·
Registered
7 Posts
To OP - CCuddy: If by the time you read my message and you still haven't heard from the insurance company of the person who hit you, I highly recommend that you call that insurance company's claims department to make sure that a claim was filed. Hopefully you received the insurance company's name and the policy holder's name and policy number. You will need those to file a claim with that insurance company. If you have the name of the insurance company but don't have a claims number to call, you can easily look it up thru GOOGLE. You should also contact your own insurance agent and report this accident to your own insurance company. If you got hurt, your policy may have some coverage to help cover your medical bills. If after the investigation, the other party is found at fault, your insurance company can go after that other party for reimbursement for anything they pay you.

I hope you heal well soon and wish you the best moving forward.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I own a collision center in the Dallas area and a Ram Power Wagon. Your vehicle should be deemed a total loss. Frame has to be replaced. Hydro - Formed can not be repaired. Based on what I see, from limited pics, your frame is buckled. Under Texas Law, a frame can not legally be replaced due to our vehicle theft laws and VIN numbers.

Some manufacturers allow for sectioning bumper mount extensions, but I do not believe on this vehicle. I would have to research OEM repair guide. I did not catch your state, so my advice is limited. You don not want airbags going off of they do not have to. They can cause massive injury on stationary impacts. The airbag controller factors in a bunch of data to trigger it. If your vehicle was wadded up like a ball, then yes, it may be concerning to not have deployed, but in this case, you are better off.
I would hire an attorney and go do all of it. Injury, suffering, property. From Day 1, you log everything. Every call, delay, inconvenience. You assign a monetary value to that. Every disruption, delay, ache, pain, property cost, replacement search, etc, etc.You want to be made “whole” you want what you had prior to the loss and anything that interferes with that is what they owe and then some. I despise Insurance companies. They are a necessary evil. Good people work there, but they are warped and lied to by the industry. Yes, attorney’s have abused and driven up the cost, but only because the game is rigged. Not in our favor.
Your policy is a contract and has more weighted benefit to you, where as the other policy is tortious and your a 3rd party in the claim. So filing on yours can be beneficial. In TX we have the Appraisal Clause and that has to be filed on your policy, but aids in getting vehicle totaled. FYI, the insurance company called your good neighbor is not and they illegally removed appraisal clause in TX. That is a battle right now.
So much B.S. and crap. Too much to type and explain. But I would push for total loss and replace, see Docs and demand compensation. Airbags are a non-event and not worth pursuing.
Good luck 😎

·
Registered
690 Posts
Wheel speed sensors and some other things let the SRS module know if it needs to activate. Previous fellow is right about bags going off sitting still

·
Registered
14 Posts
You are just looking at the damage and not the bigger picture. Vehicles are designed to protect people and sacrifice themselves. They all have crush zones that intentionally collapse and slow you the vehicle and your body down. The truck looks like it did, exactly what it was supposed to do and you never hit the G Force threshold to deploy the bags. It's not damage activated, it's G Force activated. I

Think about a Moose. 60 MPH, Moose runs out, you clip his body above the bumper, 600 lbs of Moose at 60 MPH probably comes out to 2000 lbs of impact... sheers off the front end, hood, engine compartment causes him to roll upward and he rips through A pillars and the windshield and kills anyone in the front seat, but the G Force threshold never got met until the truck slammed into the ditch because nobody was alive to hold the brake peddle.

Uncle was an EMT... he had some pretty disturbing stories.

·
Registered
9 Posts

View attachment 133114 View attachment 133115 View attachment 133116 View attachment 133117 View attachment 133118 View attachment 133119 View attachment 133121 View attachment 133122 View attachment 133123

I don’t know for sure, but I believe a lot of air bags are not activated below a set speed, such as 20- e30 MPH.
SORRY FOR YOUR EXPERIENCE.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Depending on your specific state's laws you may be entitled to diminished value from the insurance company. I live in Texas and used "Diminished Value of Texas" they were able to get me an additional (after 11,000 in repairs) 4,500 on my 2019 Audi Q7.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would be worried about a delayed airbag deployment at any moment.
Like when you release the spoon ("lever" for all you drill sergeants out there), count to two thousand, throw the grenade, duck, wait, and....nothing.... Don't go over there and touch it.
That's how I view airbags that don't deploy on an impact.

Joking aside, isn't there some kind of fire department protocol about extricating casualties from car wrecks where the airbag didn't go off? I believe there's a bunch of precautions they have to do before they can start treating the injured. Not like when my daddy was a fireman in the other century and they just started peeling everything away anymore...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts