DODGE RAM FORUM banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2017 2500 CTD Laramie CC SB
56 Posts
I was rear ended in my 2017 2500 cc CTD earlier this year while stop at a red light by a Buick Encore. I Needed a new bumper and bought on from Partify.com $700 complete with all bracket and plastic trim including plate lights, painted. Fit perfectly, I just transferred the trailer plug and park sensors and bam, just like new. I didn’t make a claim as here in Michigan we have “no fault” insurance which really means “your fault”. Your insurance pays for your vehicle and if you choose “broad form” collision option you don’t pay a deductible if your not at fault. No Fault sucks, leaves us good drivers pay more to compensate for the poor drivers and the Detroit drivers who don’t have insurance. My $00.02

Just FYI this is the third time I’ve been rear ended at a light since 2010, damn cellphones!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was moving maybe 15 mph on the shoulder with lawnmower
trailer as I saw a car in oncoming lane slowly come into my lane on straight away with passed out driver going 70 mph that eventually hit my 09 Ram 5.7 on the shoulder of the road on the driver's side and all 4 airbags deployed thankfully and no one was hurt other than the dodge ram emblem on steering wheel breaking my sternum when airbag jumped out of it. The passenger was not hurt. What a place for this hard plastic piece I thought. My foot was also trapped under break petal but not hurt. The vehicle does direct impact energy away from the passenger cab with crease points. I've read the new 20 Ram has put a modified steel piece between engine and legs but don't have a source. Regardless the driver of the crown Vic died in air flight. I've bought them since just for the safety issue. So, I know at 15 mph they do go off. I know that if you key is in the off position and you're parked, they will not work. Found this online: Frontal airbags are generally designed to deploy in "moderate to severe" frontal or near-frontal crashes, which are defined as crashes that are equivalent to hitting a solid, fixed barrier at 8 to 14 mph or higher. (This would be equivalent to striking a parked car of similar size at about 16 to 28 mph or higher.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
A lot of stories you guys are sharing. Some, much worse then mine. Glad that most ended up ok!

2 weeks later, my truck still sits in my driveway. I’ve made a claim with my own insurance now as I was tired of waiting for esis. Esis (the at fault party) is claiming delay because the guy that hit me is now claiming that I hit the car in front of me first. Mind you, this was not what he told the police, not what the guy in front of me told police, not what he told me and the guy in front of me and not what is in the police report.

Nonetheless, I filed with Geico, my insurance company and still have not had anyone contact me about getting the truck looked at.

I own a construction company and my truck was more then just a point a-b vehicle. It has special toolboxes inside, vehicle graphics, detachable ladder rack etc that I need to do my job. My business has been extremely inconvenienced by this accident that a rental vehicle simply can not make up for. I have guys running all over town for me now and cutting into their paychecks as well. So I eventually bit the bullet and just went and picked up another truck I owned 10 hours away for a location I have. Major pain in my rear but at least now, I have a vehicle to work out of again.

In the meantime, I will fight the insurance for everything now and might file suit against the at fault party. It was an employee of a company. Him changing his story has made things much, much more difficult then it should have been. I do work with insurances all the time in the property loss side as I’m in insurance restoration. So I’m well aware of insurance stall tactics, Mispractices and Deceit around every corner.

I will keep the forum updated as I know more. I appreciate everyone’s advice and knowledge.

·
Registered
7 Posts
CCUDDY, you should get a copy of the police report for your own records. That report should have statements from each driver, as well as the statement from the police office stating what he observed. With the other driver changing his story, it will greatly slow down the claims process. You will have to document - and provide evidence - that will be logical and hard to dispute who was at fault. Both insurance company's claims adjusters will have to make contact with all parties and witnesses involved to gather statements. If you were in the middle of a 3 car chain reaction accident, the front driver's testimony will be crucial (front meaning he only got rear ended), because if he says he only felt one impact, that will support your story that you were hit from the rear and pushed into the front auto. If the front driver's statement say he/she felt two impacts, it may support the story of the guy that hit you.

I wonder if your truck's computer system can act like an airplanes "Black Box" that gets studied after an airplane accident: telling a story of what the plane was doing prior to the accident and leading right up to the crash. Maybe some mechanics who are members here can advice if your truck's computer may be scanned for evidence of what the sensors may have felt - and why the air bags failed to deploy. ---- That little fact makes me think it supports your side of the story. If you would have hit the card in front you first, I suspect the air bags would have then deployed.

Last thoughts: You can also contact your state's Department of Insurance and you can file a complaint. Keep in mind that GEICO has an obligation to defend you against false claims and Esis has an obligation defend their insured in the same manor; however, if the facts clearly show their insured is at fault, for the public good, Esis also has a moral obligation to settle the claim fairly. If they act in an unfairly way, you can file claim against them to the Dept of Ins for acting in "Bad Faith". And if you have to lawyer up, be prepared that they will be entitled to at least 33 & 3rd % of what ever you receive in insurance payments.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks for the reply. It is getting towed to a local Geico proffered center (caliber collision) today to get evaluated. Finally after two weeks.

I do have the police report. The report states that I had stopped short and was rearended from behind causing me to collide with the vehicle in front of me. they cited the driver behind me. Me and the other driver were not cited.

Im not sure on the black box part, but it’s possible. Something for me to look into for sure.

At this point I already know I’m losing a ton even if they do total the truck, esis admits fault and my gap insurance pays the remaining balance owed on the vehicle.

vehicle enhancements, like the 3k in stereo I put in it, side steps, a custom decked tool box, tint, camera, additional payments etc, all go the the value of the truck and is just more the bank hrs for the payoff of the truck. Which means is less the gap insurance has to cover. I loose everything else as it technically went to the “value of the truck”. I don’t get the value of thetruck payed to the bank and get a seperate truck for the receipts of accessories, add ons and additional payments that were made 🤦‍♂️.

So at this point, I know I’m loosing a ton and that doesn’t even start to account for time lost not working as in loss in earned income potential, pain and suffering etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Be sure to document your lost wages due to the truck being down. That may be paid under the "Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM)" coverage by GEICO and then GEICO may subrogate against the other party. Or the other party may pay it as part of the settlement. But be sure to make a log of all the time lost due your truck being down because of the accident.

Did you add any extra coverage with GEICO for the stereo that had been installed? Do you still have the paid receipts for the purchase and install? Whenever you add special equipment (steps, tool boxes, flat beds, etc.) you should add the extra coverage to your policy to cover these items. If you didn't, and maybe if they aren't damaged, you can remove them to put onto another truck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was rear ended in my 2017 2500 cc CTD earlier this year while stop at a red light by a Buick Encore. I Needed a new bumper and bought on from Partify.com $700 complete with all bracket and plastic trim including plate lights, painted. Fit perfectly, I just transferred the trailer plug and park sensors and bam, just like new. I didn’t make a claim as here in Michigan we have “no fault” insurance which really means “your fault”. Your insurance pays for your vehicle and if you choose “broad form” collision option you don’t pay a deductible if your not at fault. No Fault sucks, leaves us good drivers pay more to compensate for the poor drivers and the Detroit drivers who don’t have insurance. My $00.02

Just FYI this is the third time I’ve been rear ended at a light since 2010, damn cellphones!
I agree w your $.02 ! And why this crap is still our way of insurance I dont understand. I guess the poor drivers' vote outweighs those who do pay for ins. 🤨

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Update.

truck is totaled. 3 weeks later. It took them all of 5 minutes to deem it a total loss 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Putting all the other costs to you through this ordeal aside, I’m glad for you that they totaled it. I would not have wanted that truck after they “fixed it”

21 - 29 of 29 Posts