DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 ram truck - big horn package and have 48k on it. I have about 1500 miles to go to decided. I am past the factory warranty but have the opportunity to buy a 60k- 5 year for $3000 from a dealer. Reputable warranty. I don't know whether its better to gamble on not needing it. I'm not looking for an absolute answer. I want to know what the history of ram trucks is. Are there major problems that are associated with the ram truck?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Did you get the truck new? What kind of mileage do you put on in a year? If the warranty is only good till the truck hits 60k, that only gives you 12k for $3000 which sounds real expensive and not worth it. You might put the $3k into a high interest investment and withdraw when needed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
crazyhorse

Thanks… we put on about 2k per month. This would be an additional 60k so would last about 30 months or $100/month. I just don't know the history of problems with the dodge ram. I heard that the front end - 4 wheel drives have an issue after 40k… don't know if that's valid or not. We just replaced the seats (reupholstered) because the dodge ram apparently has a history of this problem. I don't know if my question makes sense.

Dan

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I would only buy the manufactures extended warranty. No third party warranties. Did that once and it was a pain to get anything paid for.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Considering the mileage you already have and expect to put on, I would not even consider an extended warranty, at least at the cost you were quoted. As namretsud suggested, you would be better putting the 3K in an interest bearing account and let that be your warranty.

·
Premium Member
32,781 Posts
A lot of 3rd party warranties sold through a dealership are ok, as long as you only use that particular dealership when you need warranty work done

If you are in Jersey, NY, Mass, or RI & it needs work, being as you bought the warranty from a particular dealership in Connecticut, you likely could get stuck for the full repair price.
In other words, find out the area that the Warranty covers & just what it covers, like Engine, Transmission, & Rear End, etc.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Heck no!! The only thing you will gain is having a lighter wallet!

When I bought my '02 Dakota in 2004, the previous owner purchased a factory transferrable warranty and I thought it was the greatest thing and ponied up the $3,000 for extended bumper to bumper.

Needless to say, I lost at least $1,500 in that deal and honestly that Dakota was always at the dealership every 4-6 months.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Older thread I know but I will largely agree with what has been said already. There may be a few decent ones but the vast majority of third party warranty companies are out to screw you in ways you can't even find on the internet.

Also agree that that kind of money would be better off sitting somewhere in case you need it rather than being paid to someone in case you need it. If they were going to finance the cost of it for you, put the amount that it would have increased your payment in an account somewhere. Chances are you will end up using it to take a vacation, not work on your truck.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Late to the game I know.....most 3rd party warranties sold through dealers are scams as I am quite familiar with. Buy directly through Chrysler (not dealership) and you can buy the bumper to bumper cheaper and usually no problems when needed

·
Registered
193 Posts
What is best source for buying direct from Chrysler and will there difference in prices? Wouldn't the dealer sell the Chrysler "direct" policy?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
What is best source for buying direct from Chrysler and will there difference in prices? Wouldn't the dealer sell the Chrysler "direct" policy?
If you go the the Ram Owners website (off the Chrysler website) you can compare the warranties that Chrysler sells (different levels of coverage) If you haven't registered it might be a good idea to do so you can see a lot of info related to you Ram and service issues. I found that buying through their toll free number was much cheaper and when I said I would think about for a week they offered to take $150 off if I called back within a week. They also agreed to charge my credit card over 12 months interest free. The dealer will sell the Mopar direct warranty, but they don't make as much as they do as the non Mopar warranty (mostly scams). They still mark up the Mopar warranty by a significant amount. Another point to keep in mind that you can buy the Mopar warranty after you own your vehicle for a while. I'm not sure how soon you must buy it, but I bought mine 11 months after owning it. One last note, make sure you are on the Dodge/Chrysler website to compare warranties. If you google Chrysler warranties and Mopar warranties, some of these sites sell non factory extended warranties, but call themselves "official warranties". They are not and some will not be honored by Dodge dealerships. You must pay up front and get reimbursed-maybe reimbursed

·
Registered
193 Posts
Very informative. Thanks. I agree from past experience and one has to make sure you are on the correct website as many are made to look like the Chrysler one. They are always negotiable as well. Just not sure if worth it to me as I generally trade vehicles about every 4 years and put on about 12,000 mi a year. If the warranty is transferable I wonder what if anything a dealer would credit your trade-in? In the meantime I am covered with the standard 3 year warranty for 36,000. I know the power train is longer.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Be sure to check out http://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/ as they sell the exact same warranty as noted in earlier posts but at a discount. I purchased two from Ziegler, know many who also purchased from them, and they are genuine Chrysler warranties that save you money. And yes, I purchased one for my 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Limited as I plan on keeping the truck, and know with the factory air ride system and all the fancy electronics that I'll most likely end up using it.

Check them out versus the Chrysler site and I think you'll see a significant savings...and both show the exact same plan numbers so you know you're comparing apples to apples.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks for the information, sounds like good advice. I have received many offers from third party over the past two years and then yesterday received an offer from Chrysler to extended my warranty. Though I would check here first.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts