DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 09 Ram 5.7 with K&N CAI and a magna flow exhaust, and im currently running 91 octane with the 91 performance mod.

Im thinking about switching to 89 octane and getting a custom tune

anybody have an advice on whether or not i should do this and where i could get a good tune from?

·
Registered
70 Posts
From what i've read and not personlly experienced is that if you make changes like cam,heads,nos,super charger, turbo,tubes..etc. you would need a custom. But cai,muffler swap...not needed. Just what i've read.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
You would gain a little but with your mods the canned tunes are pretty good.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
i live just the other side of montreal,.. and their is a certified diablo tuner hear,... he charge 250$ to custom tune it on your truck, he does that on the road, it takes about 4 hours, he says i would get a other 25rwhp

i will be doing this in may this year

you can also go on dyno for the tune but he charge a 150$ a hours time 4.... that 600.00

·
Registered
116 Posts
Unless you have some major performance mods to the engine a custom tune isn't needed and wont do much for you. I agree with Timmy, just run the 87 or 91 per tune

·
Registered
128 Posts
A superchips Cortex tuner on my Diesel gave ma a 3 MPG increase from 22mpg to 25 on the highway without load. I currently run between 21 and 22 mpg pulling 2500 lb trailer and about the same in local driving. What it may do for the gas engine, I can not say.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'd say a custom tune, only cause the tunes that come on the diablos are just a mass tune, and when u get a custom tune it is made for your truck an your truck only, not every motor runs the same so there for you will benifit from getting a custom tune. I've had 2 vechicals that had tuners, 1st was a 08 SRT8 cherokee, had a intake, and header back exhaust. i used the 91 tune at the track an ran a 13.0 1/4. got a custom tune from diablotoona on the SRT forums and was running a 12.7 1/4 so 3/10 of a second was well worth my money espically since i beat every mustang an camaro that would roll up to me. the 2nd was my 08 evo X had cobb access port came with a bunch of tunes on it like a 91oct with cai and exhaust, the tuner had a built in dyno, i had a full turbo back exhaust and a full intercooler and intake it ran a 290hp on the tuners dyno, got it on an actually dyno it was at 310awhp . then i got the custom tune an it went from 310awhp to 354awhp. so i say custom tune all the way but thats just my .02

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
ive contact my cmr dealer that will be doing the custom tune on my truck in may,

i told him that i was septic about the gains

he said that he has a performance reader like the diablo trinnity one, and that we will do testing before and after,... for the same 250$ price and that he garantes the gain, antway in may i will let you all know

he says that we could do the dyno runs, but he will charge me 150$ a hours for it,... so no we will go with the performance reader

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
so i have up to then to get my y pipe and throttle body :)

i was also tinking headders, but their expensive,..

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I have a 2010 Challenger and had a custom dyno tune done. I have a CAI and Corsa catback exhaust on it. I didn't pick up any peak horsepower or torque, but there were rpms I did pick up some power. It mainly just flattened the curves out some. It only cost me about $100 and I got three dyno pulls. It took about an hour to have it done. The guy pretty much new how to tune my car based on the mods, and his first tune was the best.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts