DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, was doing a car wash last week and noticed a small nail at the place marked red (not on the tire pattern), I took out the nail and it went in about 5mm. the tire holds pressure so I don't think it's punctured. Should I plug the tire or should I just leave it as is?
If I plug the tire, I'd puncture it first, right?
Tire is BFG ko2 14 ply if this helps.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Hi, was doing a car wash last week and noticed a small nail at the place marked red (not on the tire pattern), I took out the nail and it went in about 5mm. the tire holds pressure so I don't think it's punctured. Should I plug the tire or should I just leave it as is?
If I plug the tire, I'd puncture it first, right?
Tire is BFG ko2 14 ply if this helps.
Thanks in advance.
Spray some soapy water on it, if there is no leak, good to go.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
If no leak leave it alone. Per tire industry standards plug is not a "fix" Only a "plug patch" I just happen to be teaching this section a week or so back and reviewed the recommended industry repair. Now I wont sit here and tell you I have not plugged a tire and ran several thousand miles on that same plug either. But a shop will not repair it that way. They will dismount, repair, rebalance tire. So might as well figure a $20 bill to fix a puncture. Silly in my thought. I ride a motorcycle and carry a kit with me and have rode one with plugs.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Plug installation usually make a bigger hole in the tire and will play nasty with wheel balance. It is a short term fix but a proper job is a patch from the inside at a tire shop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts