DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently my passenger side puddle lamp mounted under the side mirror has burned out/quit working.
Anyone have any idea how to access these lights for replacement?
Owners manual doesn't even mention them...

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
I am guessing here
Rotate your mirror glass all the way out
you should see the clip(s) that holds the mirror glass in
once removed, you should be able to figure it out

·
Registered
8 Posts
My Driver side is a bright white color and my passenger side is a not as bright blueish. is that normal?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Apparently my passenger side puddle lamp mounted under the side mirror has burned out/quit working.
Anyone have any idea how to access these lights for replacement?
Owners manual doesn't even mention them...

I've got the same issue from all the searching most people say you can't service them they need replaced, you can get it done under the 3/36k warranty.

"Just want to let everyone know that the 4th gen puddle lights are not properly sealed from the factory and will become water logged and corrode. Both left and right on my truck are corroded already.

I just picked up another puddle light from a 2011 and you can visibly see the two halves are not properly sealed and it had some water in the unit.

YOU CANNOT BUY JUST THE PUDDLE LIGHTS FROM DODGE
(You must buy the entire mirror assembly)

**save yourself time and money and reseal yours with some silicone!**"

Hope this helps

·
Registered
109 Posts
Will a thinner sealer work, like a lacquer seal or enamel seal? Seems silicone will be a bit much but I guess if one is careful...

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
On my '09, i have not seen any water in my puddle lamps
it now has 66,000 miles on it
where i live it doesn't rain a lot
but i wash it often at the car wash

·
Registered
109 Posts
Since I do not know, can puddle lights and in mirror signals be "flashed" by the dealer to function if they are an after install but OEM? I am thinking of replacing my reg mirrors with newer flipup tow mirrors.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Think when mine go bad I will just smoke them extremely dark.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
i beleive someone on this site did replace one of them but he was saying that the replacement bulb are not blueish their white,.. so unless you buy the hole assembly you might end up with one side white they other blueish

·
Registered
35,470 Posts
Let us know how you make out and please keep us updated.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
My bad for bring up a 2 year old thread!

But I have to replace my driver led puddle lamp. in the Haynes manual it states to take the black housing off around the glass and the any wiring.I tried yesterday and was only to get the housing off and nothing else. I already messed up the mirror bc it wont go left on its own. So I'm not trying to screw it up more. If anyone has more detail on how to take the mirror out that would be awesome. Once again sorry for bringing up an old ass post.

·
Registered
3 Posts
you can buy the lights alone, you do not have to buy the whole mirror. I am having this issue with my passenger side mirror as well. Both turn signal and puddle lamps are out. DO NOT buy them from the dealership they are WAY over priced. You can get quality ones from eBay and they are just fine.
Alos, FYI, any forum members that need parts such as mirrors, tailgates, headlight assemblies, etc., message me. I own a body shop and can get these items for much cheaper than the dealership will sell them to you for. For instance; the dealership wanted $600 for my driver side mirror, I got one from my supplier for $275.00. All forum members will also receive a discount for any paint services performed at my shop. www.2wheelzcustoms.com. We do simple paint jobs and touch ups as well as the custom work you will see on my site. We've replaced rusted out rocker panels, rusted out fenders/wheel wells, bumpers, grills, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am new to the group and posted this same question yesterday. My 2012 Laramie had water in the drivers side puddle lamp, since there were no screws I assumed it popped off, not the case unfortunately. I find it ridiculous that to replace a damn light bulb you not only have to buy a $115 part but it seems pretty difficult to change as well.

Here is the reply that I got and as soon as my part arrives (Amazon for $85 delivered) I will be attempting the do this on my own.

r own risk!
On this site, member Brad wrote this

This can be done, but is not for the faint of heart. If you attempt this, you are doing so at you
- Start by operating the mirror to the fully down position.
- Grasp the top edge of the mirror, and pull it further then the adjuster did...this will release the top clips.
- Look down inside to see the lower hinge style clips...separate them and remove the mirror glass.
- Disconnect the heated mirror wires (if applicable)

- Locate and remove the 3 screws that hold on the mirror cover.
- Remove cover

- Locate latch tab for LED lighting unit and release
- Gently pry the LED unit from the housing.
- This might take some persistence, and the weather seal sometimes hangs on to the unit and resists it's removal.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
On this site, member Brad wrote this

This can be done, but is not for the faint of heart. If you attempt this, you are doing so at your own risk!

- Start by operating the mirror to the fully down position.
- Grasp the top edge of the mirror, and pull it further then the adjuster did...this will release the top clips.
- Look down inside to see the lower hinge style clips...separate them and remove the mirror glass.
- Disconnect the heated mirror wires (if applicable)

- Locate and remove the 3 screws that hold on the mirror cover.
- Remove cover

- Locate latch tab for LED lighting unit and release
- Gently pry the LED unit from the housing.
- This might take some persistence, and the weather seal sometimes hangs on to the unit and resists it's removal.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
Rotate the mirror downwards
Take the finger & thumb of both hands & grab the top of the mirror & pull it towards your body, it will undo the top 2 clips
Then look behind the mirror & you will see that the bottom 2 clips release when you simply lift the mirror up & towards you. You will also see 2 metal fingers, note where they are positioned before you remove the lower clips.
( I have wondered why those fingers are even there, i now believe that those fingers rest against the motor housing, minimizing vibration, giving you better viewing )

$58 dollar mirror from dealership, notice what the 4 clips look like

again look at the clips & notice the 2 metal finger like things

I believe that the 3 screws mention in a post earlier, can be seen in this pix
2 on the right, 1 at the top of the left side

IF those screws have to come out to remove the motor
you will be looking for the 2 wire clips that hold the plastic puddle light cover in place, i did not look for those clips when i replaced my mirror glass

I have not looked at any other kind of mirror, so you are on your own

·
Registered
1 Posts
Puddle Light replacement

I have a 2015 Ram 1500. Some knucklehead hit my driver side mirror and cracked the lens for the puddle light. Now the moisture has gotten to the LED and burned it out. I would have to replace the LED and the plastic cover. Everything else on the mirror is fine. It is a power mirror. Am I looking at replacing the entire mirror or can I change the module and lens?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts