DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting a 6" inch lift on, i am looking for advice on lowering the factory side steps. anyone done this?

E

·
0 Posts
I looked at my factory steps to lower them and without building some new, longer brackets, there was no way to simply insert a block and get longer bolts.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I have the stock side steps and it is not that bad with a 6" lift. I am sure brackets would allow you to lower the side steps. I hate that about the stock ones, they are basically tucked under the body. they aren't much of a step if you ask me haha.

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Have to be careful about making longer brackets. The body area where they are bolted in is not that strong. Making them lower would add mechanical flex into the equation and could rip out the body panel.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys, i will have to come up with something. the gf is requesting i lower them a little bit after i put the lift on cuz she has trouble getting in. i may have to look at creating some type of bracket that wont put to much flex into them.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have the stock side steps and it is not that bad with a 6" lift. I am sure brackets would allow you to lower the side steps. I hate that about the stock ones, they are basically tucked under the body. they aren't much of a step if you ask me haha.

I agree. I have the 6 inch lift as well and the step bars are perfect IMO.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i guess i will have to see how high they sit after the lift is installed. i dont care to move them but at least i can show the gf that i am thinking about it lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
theres a company who makes automatic single steps , they come down once you open the door and they retract once you close it , they are far from cheap i belive around $800 for 2 single steps or something like that but if you really need steps and you dont like the look of running boards ( i dont personally ) they are always an option.

getting in and out without steps in a 6inch lift isnt the worst thing in the world , i do it all the time but i can imagine why you might want them lol

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup :).Did you already buy the 6" lift?

Oh yes!!! I bought last friday and it will be at my house tomorrow afternoon. Now I just have to find tires and get everything installed. I just got my borla exhaust put on yesterday, i will try and get some pics and video this weekend put up.

·
Banned
1,748 Posts
Oh yes!!! I bought last friday and it will be at my house tomorrow afternoon. Now I just have to find tires and get everything installed. I just got my borla exhaust put on yesterday, i will try and get some pics and video this weekend put up.

Sweet!! Can't wait to see it after it is done.:smileup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts