DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was installing new side steps on my 2019 Rebel and must have over torqued the nut and snapped the mounting bolt. Anyone have this happen. Is it an easy replacement for a body shop to put a new bolt on so I can mount these steps. Thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Or if you have metric, use 10.9 or higher. The number will be on the head of the bolt. 10.9 is similar to grade 8, and 12.9 exceeds grade 8.

Steve

·
Registered
42 Posts
Was all of the paint overspray removed from the bolt? This can cause cross thread of nuts and snapping of bolts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Big River, Some of the nuts went on easy and others were tougher to put on. Figured the paint was causing that. It must have cross threaded it. Since these are factory studs do you think it can be changed out. Not much room to get another bolt in there if it is drilled out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The directions tell you to chase the threads and apply anti seize type of compound before installing nuts....I just did mine and all went well after I read the directions.

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
Any descent garage can drill into the center of the broken bolt & then use an Extractor tool to remove the broken bolt.
If they can't do it easily, they can always use a Heli Coil & it will work almost as good as new

·
Registered
19 Posts
anyone know what size the studs are so I know what die to use to chase them clean????

Just did mine,
the three sets of 3 from the factory (bottom 2 have over spray) seem to be inserted from the rocker panel and look like they are studs.
unless tack welded back on....it would be a bitch

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was installing new side steps on my 2019 Rebel and must have over torqued the nut and snapped the mounting bolt. Anyone have this happen. Is it an easy replacement for a body shop to put a new bolt on so I can mount these steps. Thanks.
I know this post is from a long time ago but I just did the same thing and was hoping to get some ideas from you on how you rectify the situation. Are the studs replaceable, are they double sided threads that are threaded in where I would be able to use a broken bolt extraction tool or
Is there a nut on other side . Any info would be great thank you .

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Looks like its a stud thats welded on the back side. Easy out won't do anything. I used a wire wheel and cleaned all of mine up. Call a dealer and see what they say.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I know this post is from a long time ago but I just did the same thing and was hoping to get some ideas from you on how you rectify the situation. Are the studs replaceable, are they double sided threads that are threaded in where I would be able to use a broken bolt extraction tool or
Is there a nut on other side . Any info would be great thank you .
If you can't get it out then it's probably welded in place. As a previous poster said, just drill it out starting with center punching the stud and use progressively larger drills to get it out. Get a nutsert/rivnut of the correct size and install it. You can then use a bolt. You don't need a special tool for the nutserts if you don't have one. Just need a bolt and nut the correct size for the nutsert and a couple of washers. Put the nut on the bolt as close to the bolt head as possible, grease up the threads and two washer and screw it into the nutsert. Put the assembly in the hole and expand the nutsert with a pair of wrenches.

·
Registered
7 Posts

same thing happened to me today, looking for advice

·
Registered
3 Posts
I didn’t get it out I started with a small drill bit and drill thru old stud and kept stepping it up till I was at about the right size then I threaded that hole I made and screwed in in with lock washers no nut on other side too tight to get fingers up there will prolly back out and add lock tight at some point.
Do you have a nut on the other side? And was it hard to get the old one out ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I didn’t get it out I started with a small drill bit and drill thru old stud and kept stepping it up till I was at about the right size then I threaded that hole I made and screwed in in with lock washers no nut on other side too tight to get fingers up there will prolly back out and add lock tight at some point.
that’s what I’m gonna do, I’m gonna put locktight and then spray all the bolts with undercoat, I’ll send you a pic when I’m done

·
Registered
612 Posts
That'll work I guess LOL. But I feel sorry for any future owner of that truck who wants to remove that bracket for any reason.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts