DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have the Mopar chrome cab length steps on my Big Horn Crew Cab (see pic). The dealer put them on while they located a pair of Mopar wheel to wheels, which are only available in stainless steel for the 2013, at least at the moment. They were included in the purchase hence the commitment to mopar.

The dilemma is whether to keep the chrome or go with the stainless steel W2W, which will definitely hold up better through the northeast winters.

The dealer now has the W2W's in and will let me compare the two before they swap out the chrome - got an appointment tomorrow morning.

Personally, I think the chrome looks a little bit sharper but I'm worried about their longevity. Anyone have any compelling reasons not to make the swap?

Attachments

·
Registered
969 Posts
I personally like the look of the "chrome" just a tad more than the "stainless steel" steps. But, I had the "stainless steel" steps factory installed on my Big Horn. I am happy I went with the "stainless steel" steps. They match the chrome clad wheels and the door handles really well. And, they should hold up much better long term. I live in Nebraska, so we get a decent amount of snow every year. Along with the snow comes the salt on the roads. The "stainless steel" was the best choice for me. FYI, mine are cab length.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I would also give a thumbs up to the Stainless. Especially since they are W2W

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just put the stainless steel w2w on my truck about a week ago. Dealerships only order them with the chromed aluminum unless you order something different yourself. All aluminum boards/steps will scratch and dent much easier than the stainless. Plus you don't have to worry about the chrome coating coming off. The stainless steps even weigh noticeably more, and don't flex quite as easily as the aluminum. It was personally a no brainier for me to get them SS, plus the W2W gives you quick access to the back of your bed without climbing up on the tire. Good luck with your decision...it took me about a month to decide between these and the 5 or 6" Raptors. Stuck with OEM so the plastic pads on the steps matched the plastic tread on the top side of the rear bumper.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I kept the chrome ones off my 2010 and my 2013 has the w2w stainless ones one it. I can't make up my mind either. The stainless ones would win hands down if they had polished them better. I guess you could get them polished better.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I kept the chrome ones off my 2010 and my 2013 has the w2w stainless ones one it. I can't make up my mind either. The stainless ones would win hands down if they had polished them better. I guess you could get them polished better.
Does the SS w2w have any coating on the exposed metal? Could it be polished to a brighter shine or would doing so remove a protective coating (stepping surface exceeded)?

·
Registered
972 Posts
On my 2013 I went with the Stainless W2W.

MODS LIST! WeatherTech Floor Mats (F&R), WeatherTech Mud Flaps (F&R), WeatherTech Window Rain Guards (F&R), AVS Bugflector II, Dee Zee Heavyweight Truck Bed Mat, LRV Protecta Tailgate Mat, IPCW LED Tailgate Light Bar, LedGlow SMD Blue Interior Light Kit (F&R), Dee Zee Tailgate Assist, SS Exhaust Tip, Cabin Air Filter.

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you're worried about the chrome not lasting, don't be afraid to throw a nice coat of wax on them...

Also -- I have a Laramie and was afraid that the stainless wouldn't match the chrome on the truck, but it blends in fine..

These are 4" Oval Westin Platinum's.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got my running boards swapped out a couple weeks ago. Was hesitant about giving back the chrome cab length for the stainless steel W2W. It's now been two weeks with the W2W and I'm happy. They have a bit less shine than the chrome (duh!) but still have a good appearance. Plus, they aren't as loud as the chrome tubular steps were when driving in the rain or through puddles. Plus, they are lower maintenance - they hide dirt better and will surely resist the salt on my roads in the winter. One thing to note, on the crew cab the W2W are barely longer than the cab length - maybe 8 inches. Added some weathertec rain guards too - they are awesome and have a great low profile.

Attachments

·
Registered
969 Posts
Very nice, orangefan79! I think you did the right thing by switching over to the stainless steel side steps. They look great on your truck. I can't believe how sturdy my stainless steel side steps feel. It feels like I could jump up and down on them all day long. Also, I really like the finished look of the molded plastic that covers the bracket areas. :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Crow, thanks. I agree the W2W feel much sturdier. The RAM end caps are a nice touch too.

Next project is putting some lights under the bed rails - a lot of options to go with.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I was on the fence with my running boards. I have the chrome ones I took of my 2010. I decided to keep the wtw stainless because the step into the bed is really handy and they are really rigid.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts