DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a receive hitch and the Hitch is seized inside the tube?
I didn't know what to think as the pin was nearly impossible to remove but finally got it out with a hammer and socket extension, the center of the pin was corroded really bad. I tried using penetrant oils, wd40 and more to loosen it, and beat on the ball with a small sledge and it seems like it moved 1/32" but that's about it after wearing my ass out on it for an hour, its almost like its welded in but its not, just rusted really bad from being left in all the time I guess. How can I get this damn thing out of the receiver hitch?

·
Registered
790 Posts
I really don't want to do a lot of cutting but if all and all, Ill use the Sawzall and cut it out.
Cutting it off is not the only option! Alot of hammering as shown in some of the other videos.. Just another last ditch effort look at the link in my first post several methods

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Soak it. soak it, soak it then soak it some more with PB blaster (from the front, back and around the pin hole). Then hammer it, hammer it, hammer it then hammer it some more. I think I even hooked mine up to a telephone pole trying to pull it out. I eventually got it out mainly using the hammer but it was not easy.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Careful when hammering on it. A steel hammer can mushroom the part and it will be in there even tighter. Got a dead-blow hammer? I like mine.
Yes, lots of penetrating oil and patience as you let it work in.
Whack it from both sides, just to get some motion going to break the corrosion bond.

·
Premium Member
32,663 Posts
I don't know if you have a Gun Shop in your town, but if you do, try a product called KROIL
It is even better than PB BLaster & more expensive
I only use on really tough jobs & i don't let anyone else borrow it

For me, if the KROIL does not do the job, it is time to use heat

My Brother in Law just told me that he welded a hook onto the Ball Mount & then used a Frame Machine to break one loose from the hitch receiver

I would think that you would not need a Frame Machine if you had a healthy tree to wrap a chain around

·
Registered
377 Posts
That's what happen when you leave them in when not using them.
Kinda surprised that this is the first time I've seen a thread RE: this issue!
Just the other day was calling attention to my wife about the exact same issue. Guy had a pretty nice truck (RAM ? year), clean, waxed, nice wheels, lifted a bit, you get the picture. Hanging out of the receiver was a three ball hitch, totally rusted. Looked pretty much like it was rarely if ever used. To be sure, way too high for most trailers. I can see leaving the hitch in the receiver if used regularly but if not, pull it out and put a cover over the opening. Looks better and you don't have to worry so much about the rust issue. Just sayin'.
Flex

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I soaked mine with PB blast then put a chain on it around a tree. I didn't gun it or anything, but just took out the slack and gave some good even pressure then a few taps / gooses on the throttle. Mine came out easy that way. Just be careful if you do it this way and don't be too aggressive

1 - 11 of 11 Posts