DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, Pulling the trigger and starting a genuine build thread. :smileup:

I got Silver back in January, ran into trouble and sought help here.
With the help of the Z and all it's knowledge, Silver's running great now.

Here's some stock photos of him.

Okay, so they're not all 'initial stock', I didn't get him with the dented bumper.
Guy in a Dakota in front of me got cut off by a BMW, I smashed into his hitch.
Honestly, I'm glad he had the hitch, it limited the damage to my truck...

I'll post some of the Plasti-dipping process pictures here when I get a chance, but this is the 'build' thread of Silver's plasti-dip.

:D Current mods:
-Plasti-dip, all over
-Thrush Turbo muffler w/ Walker tail pipe
-new front bumper

Definitely more to come! :LOL:

I'll be back!

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
You need to address the rust issues before you do more. In Maine, they will flunk you for an inspection sticker unless that is fixed. My dad's 06 Sierra flunked with a perfect body, but some rust in the frame around spare tire holder. Friggin salt.:smiledown:

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need to address the rust issues before you do more. In Maine, they will flunk you for an inspection sticker unless that is fixed. My dad's 06 Sierra flunked with a perfect body, but some rust in the frame around spare tire holder. Friggin salt.:smiledown:
We don't have any inspection... at all around here. I've got it lined up when I get the funds to replace the cab corners, but it's gonna be awhile--need a new job. I've got them coated with Rust Stop from Rustoleum right now and that's all that it's gonna get for now. The only other way that I'd be able to do it is if I filled the holes with expanding foam and went from there... I'd really prefer to do it right, so it'll wait.
I do have to agree though, the salt sucks!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quick 2am update because I'm excited. Got the brackets replaced yesterday and the new bumper re-installed!

More pictures to come, especially after Silver has a bath.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I'm at it again with stickers. This one has been a long time coming, and joins my "thrush" muffler sticker. I've wanted this one for a very long time. :D

More pictures once I get home of the whole truck (yes, I do put the PRO in procrastinate.)

·
Registered
17,496 Posts
Voonderbar! Finally, a build thread for Silver. You've only been talking about doing it for the last 9 years... OK, a couple of weeks. Doesn't matter how long, because it's up now and Silver is looking awesome! Keep up the great work, Kelsey!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Just a quick update, I would have gone up and edited the bumper post, but I waited too long :LOL:

Anyway, here's a simple progression of the bumper replacement, and the final product is seen above.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looking good Kelsey, I like the sticker. :D
Hey thanks Brandon! :)
I loved that one way too much not to get it. I don't want to put too many stickers on though, at the risk of making it look tacky. :p

Voonderbar! Finally, a build thread for Silver. You've only been talking about doing it for the last 9 years... OK, a couple of weeks. Doesn't matter how long, because it's up now and Silver is looking awesome! Keep up the great work, Kelsey!
Thanks Roger! :D
Yeah, I procrastinate too much, I'm sorry! :LOL:
More to come, though probably won't be too active for the next week or so. We'll see!

Should be fun!

·
Registered
204 Posts
New bumper looks good. Truck is starting to make a turn for the better. Its neat how a little bit here and there can make a vehicle look good as new. Keep it up.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks a ton Dustin, I agree! :)

I think this is the most recent picture I have downloaded to the computer, right after a fresh coat of wax. :D

Reactions: RansRAM

·
Registered
161 Posts
:smileup: It is looking good, I love Bright Silver on the 2002-2005 3rd gens. :D

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Truck looks great, I'll be following this thread. :rep:
Hey thanks for the rep points! :)

Looks really good Kelsey.:smiley_thumbs_up:
Thanks man :D

:smileup: It is looking good, I love Bright Silver on the 2002-2005 3rd gens. :D
The color is definitely growing on me! Right at first I thought I wanted to fix up the rust and repaint a different color-- thoughts of Detonator yellow or Go ManGo danced through-- but I really like the Silver now-- may see about two-toning him down the road when I get the $$$ big bucks to do rust repair and paint. Already found the needed pieces at Rock Auto and the shipping isn't bad...
My autobody guy laughed at me when I asked for a price on repair (that sort of ticked me off), so I may look for someone else.
Then again, the same thing happened when my mom got a hold of the White '06 hemi. :LOL: Guess I just like Rams!

·
Registered
161 Posts
While you are waiting to afford to buy the parts, make friends with someone who works at a body shop. By the time you get the parts you could be good friends and they will do the work for you for a case a beer and a BBQ steak. Best place to get to know people like this are the small Mom and Pop shops. I did this a few years ago with two brothers that ran a custom suspension shop. When I got the parts to bag my 91 Toyota, I BBQ some steaks and bought the beer and they bagged my truck for free on a Sunday. I like free but it was also really fun too. Just a thought?

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Hey thanks for the rep points! :)

Thanks man :D

The color is definitely growing on me! Right at first I thought I wanted to fix up the rust and repaint a different color-- thoughts of Detonator yellow or Go ManGo danced through-- but I really like the Silver now-- may see about two-toning him down the road when I get the $$$ big bucks to do rust repair and paint. Already found the needed pieces at Rock Auto and the shipping isn't bad...
My autobody guy laughed at me when I asked for a price on repair (that sort of ticked me off), so I may look for someone else.
Then again, the same thing happened when my mom got a hold of the White '06 hemi. :LOL: Guess I just like Rams!
I am with you on the silver. Was not my first colour choice, but when my dad said I could buy the company truck that sat in the lot all day and towed tent trailers or he was getting rid of it, I suddenly liked silver :LOL:
While you are waiting to afford to buy the parts, make friends with someone who works at a body shop. By the time you get the parts you could be good friends and they will do the work for you for a case a beer and a BBQ steak. Best place to get to know people like this are the small Mom and Pop shops. I did this a few years ago with two brothers that ran a custom suspension shop. When I got the parts to bag my 91 Toyota, I BBQ some steaks and bought the beer and they bagged my truck for free on a Sunday. I like free but it was also really fun too. Just a thought?
Genius plan :smileup:

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great idea, if only I didn't live in the middle of nowhere. The closest town has two mechanics (no dealers, either) One mechanic charges through the nose and usually lucks out with insurance claim type work, while the other is motivated only when he needs to pay the bills, some of the time (the one that I work part time for). The body shops? also two. One has been there forever, and does a lot of good work, but is too much of a 'business' guy to loosen up enough for that. The other one... he screwed up my moms Concorde's paint so badly I wouldn't even dream of letting him near silver (Paint was smooth, but hood was a different shade of color. Glue was used instead of new parts, and the headlights were screwy). In short? I have some major research ahead of me! :doh:

I am with you on the silver. Was not my first colour choice, but when my dad said I could buy the company truck that sat in the lot all day and towed tent trailers or he was getting rid of it, I suddenly liked silver :LOL:
I can see where that would happen! :57: Silver is a cool color-- pretty versatile!

Meanwhile, not much has happened with silver. (Unless you count the oil change that is scheduled...) Put the tailgate back on to do some hauling, and now that it's back on there, the rust and... lack of plastidip is really getting to me.

That's proooobably on hold though, as I've managed to injure myself and have a limited range of movement and a "no heavy lifting" lift limit for awhile. (Combine that with a new, hyper 8 month old puppy that weighs 40 lbs and you have an interesting time) :smiledown: Though... If I can figure out how to work on the tailgate, it will most certainly happen! Yee haw!

We'll see! Keep ya posted!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Nice job on fixing up the truck! One thing I did when I lived in Maine with a very rusted Bronco II was to stray the rusted body work with a primer to rust spray paint I found at the auto store. I then pushed and all the rusty edges inward and cover my panel holes with aluminum ducting tape. We didn't have Plasti Dip then, but did have under coating that sprayed on and harden, so I did that to all my lower panels and fender holes. The texture hid the tape lines very well and most people never knew my repair was so easy. Something to look into for those panel holes you have.

·
Registered
17,496 Posts
...as I've managed to injure myself and have a limited range of movement and a "no heavy lifting" lift limit for awhile. (Combine that with a new, hyper 8 month old puppy that weighs 40 lbs and you have an interesting time) :smiledown: Though... If I can figure out how to work on the tailgate, it will most certainly happen! Yee haw!

We'll see! Keep ya posted!
What? Do we have to start calling you gimp now? Wha'd you do?

1 - 20 of 153 Posts