DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently got some Mother's Clay-- just had to try it out.
So Here's silver after he was washed, clayed and polished, waiting for his wax :)
(Need to find a more 'substantial' polish, I think...)

Since this point he's been washed and spray-waxed...
ha, probably three or four times. I may be addicted to cleaning my truck(s)...
Could be addicted to worse things though, right? :LOL:

Unfortunately, Silver came to me with some rust issues. Hoping to have a friend of mine do some work to stop the spread of the horrible sh!t.

(Yeah, my poor baby has a rather large wound on his bumper. BMW cut off the Dakota in front of me, and his brakes grabbed faster than mine. Luckily (depending on your view point...) he had a hitch, no damage to his truck. Body shop quoted just the replacement at almost $1200, and that was 'without looking at the truck closely', so I guess I just became my own body shop guy, once I find a suitable replacement bumper...)

AND HEY!!
Anyone know a suitable fix for headlight haze, or should I just save up and replace them like I want too?

GO DODGE!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Very nice job, the paint looks like it in good shape. I love silver they just make the prettiest trucks:smileup:

As for bumpers and lights if you just want replacements rock auto would probably be some of the cheapest around, when i bought a second set of headlights i think they were only $40 a piece

·
Registered
883 Posts
Check with your local auto wreckers, you might get lucky.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very nice job, the paint looks like it in good shape. I love silver they just make the prettiest trucks:smileup:

As for bumpers and lights if you just want replacements rock auto would probably be some of the cheapest around, when i bought a second set of headlights i think they were only $40 a piece
Kamanhart, Thank you. Silver and white have to be some of my favorite paint colors now that I've had one. Though I have to say...
One in Detonator yellow could be fun too, just to shake things up... :)
Hey thanks for the info! Will have to check them out..

Check with your local auto wreckers, you might get lucky.
Thanks rcmpvet! I need to look in to doing that. Also need to do a little more research on removal of parts, because I know that the closest, and one of the largest yards we have around is 'pick your own parts'. Either way, thanks! :)

Here's to many more Dodge miles! :smileup:

·
Banned
5,858 Posts
Silver is looking good, Kelsey! You mentioned that you might "need a more substantial polish". Depending on the paint's condition, you may have to start with either a compound or a more aggressive type of polish, then work your way down to a finishing polish.

In the meantime, try that "light" polish on your headlight lenses. You may be pleasantly surprised. I have some Poorboy's World professional polish (a finishing polish) that worked wonders on my wife's SUV that had cloudy lenses.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Silver is looking good, Kelsey! You mentioned that you might "need a more substantial polish". Depending on the paint's condition, you may have to start with either a compound or a more aggressive type of polish, then work your way down to a finishing polish.

In the meantime, try that "light" polish on your headlight lenses. You may be pleasantly surprised. I have some Poorboy's World professional polish (a finishing polish) that worked wonders on my wife's SUV that had cloudy lenses.
Hey PaulMys! Thank you very much. :)
Silver's paint really isn't that bad. It's worst feature is the rusting. Wish I would have gotten a close-up on before he got clayed. It's like a completely different truck now! :wow:
Armor-all Ultra Shine liquid polish sort of felt like a... thick windex for paint, if you will. While it made the paint look nice and wax ready, it didn't take care of all the lighter micro-scratches.
It was super easy to use and sealed the paint... great beading that turned spectacular after waxing. It passed the test, but I'm not sure that this particular polish will do anything on the headlights. Then again, I grabbed it for $3.99 at my local discount store, Bailey's, so it's definitely at least worth a try!

SORRY you weren't asking for a product review. :shy:

Thanks for the suggestion and compliment, PaulMys! :)

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
the best headlight polish ive found (without doing a full headlight resto with sanding buffing and clear) is a product called Glass Science Headlight clear by Unelko. it is dead cheap and works amazing with hand application.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the best headlight polish ive found (without doing a full headlight resto with sanding buffing and clear) is a product called Glass Science Headlight clear by Unelko. it is dead cheap and works amazing with hand application.
Hey Primo! thanks for the info, I'll definitely be checking that stuff out :)

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
anytime!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Nice job and you have some stuff to tinker with (always a bonus in my book)

Most already mentioned head light stuff. Both mentioned work great. That way you can wait and replace headlight with the upgrade you want vrs the one you need. Which for me there is a huge delta in price for that.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice job and you have some stuff to tinker with (always a bonus in my book)

Most already mentioned head light stuff. Both mentioned work great. That way you can wait and replace headlight with the upgrade you want vrs the one you need. Which for me there is a huge delta in price for that.
spnich1x, Thanks!
I have to agree with you there-- always room for change and improvement! :smileup:
You have a really good point about the headlights, I'd love to do some aftermarket ones, except :wow: a lot of them are real pricey!

Then again there's always little steps before taking the leap. Restore current headlights, plasti-dip instead of custom paint...

There's almost too many options. ... nah. I think it's safe to say we all (or mostly all) like having all those options!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts