DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really a mod I suppose but a question anyways. Last year took the wifes Durango in for some work. A week or so later I got a card from Sirius and a free 3 month trial. So I signed up and liked it. I dont drive her car much, so I thought why not get one of those small portable jobs. I can use it in my truck (2012 Ram 2500 does have Sirius on it) and on my motorcycle and transfer around. Anyone using it over the FM? I do have an aux in jack but the FM route would be way easier if sound is OK.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Be careful with those magnetic antennas they include, if they are put on the paint in a place you deem is out of the way and you don't ever move it to clean under it, they will cause that area under the magnet to rust and that can happen in a years time.

Sirius is expensive once your trial period ends, you can call them and say cancel it and they will offer you a good deal to keep it going but you will end up having to do that every year when it expires, they also have you on an automatic renewal so if you forget you all of the sudden get a larger amount charged to whatever card you gave them, now you have to get on the phone and threaten to cancel the service and again they will offer you a better deal, it is a never ending cycle with them.

I had two life time subscriptions but Sirus put restrictions on the life time subscriptions so you would lose the subscription after a certain number of transfers (5) for I think it was a $50 dollars transfer fee for the portable radios and in car radios they would not allow you to transfer to your new car. There is a lawsuit now over this and I was notified by mail, they are trying to get the court to force Sirus to honor the life time subscription and you would be able to transfer it without losing it for a fee of $75 dollars unlimited number of transfers you just have to pay the $75 dollar transfer fee each time you transfer it to a new car.

Sirus after they took over XM stopped offering the lifetime subscriptions.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup aware of the cancel, cry get reduced and resubscribe finagle. As for antenna i had 2 thoughts. Get an extender for the truck antenna lead if its the same or just put in dash. On the bike I'm thinking a metal bracket by windshield.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've been doing the song and dance with Sirius XM since 06, so I am a sucker for punishment I for a long time I have just done the streaming on my computer and on my phone app to my truck radio using an FM transmitter plugged into the cigarette lighter

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Yup aware of the cancel, cry get reduced and resubscribe finagle. As for antenna i had 2 thoughts. Get an extender for the truck antenna lead if its the same or just put in dash. On the bike I'm thinking a metal bracket by windshield.
You can use a piece of 3M clear bra tape to put on the paint where the antenna will be placed, that would protect the paint. Putting the antenna inside the windshield normally will not work well, every time I tried that it would not get good reception with the exception of my 2005 Ram 3500 dually for some reason that windshield did not interfere with the external antenna when it was placed on the dash.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have tried the stream deal from my phone on the bike. It works, but I cant get it to connect to the blue tooth on the bike system. So I have to connect phone via head phones. Not ideal.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Years ago I had the portable unit. First I tried just the FM transmitter and that wasn’t very good with the signal on the FM side. I finally bought the kit where you plugged in an antenna. Then it was good.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think my truck uses the same connection as the unit does. If its bad reception I may try an extension for it.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have it all connected up and it works fine off the "portable" antenna. I also just tuned to FM station and unit plays over OEM radio. Works great as far as I'm concerned. The air vent mount is not ideal, so I ordered a suction cup job which will also be useful on my motorcycle. But swapping this antenna back and forth may be the big PIA.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts