DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently received a notice to renew my Sirius radio subscription. Their Select option is about $175 per year, looks like a "discount" to $159 if you pay for the year up front (a month free).:Wow1:

Still, from a simple Google search, it looks like others are getting Sirius Select for about $100 / year. Either they are pulling our legs, or there are better options out there than just accepting the Sirius standard offer.

It sounds like people indicate they are quitting, or else let it expire, before a better offer is made available from Sirius. True?

Read the "Grumpy with Sirius" thread...some people have gone through misery to either keep or get Sirius. :wow:

If anyone has bright ideas, would be interested in hearing them.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I got sent 5 "Final Notice" papers from them. The last said $86/year. Been about a month since receiving it which makes me think that is as low it is offered.

Previously, I read somewhere most were getting it at $77/year but I don't think that included royalty fees and taxes.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'll let you know if they get down to free. Used it once, and only because I wanted to listen to a football game while inside Palo Duro Canyon. Other than that, completely useless to me.

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
I received my renewal notice a couple of weeks ago and was going to renew closer to my expiration (April 9th) when low and behold last Friday night I get a call from Sirius. Instead of doing the renewal online and paying 165.00 for the year I got it for 89.00. Only problem is that now it's set for an auto renewal on my credit card so next year it will be at the going rate.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
Every week i get a Sirius Special price in the email & my subscription has not expired
I have the Sirius 3 year plan

There is also a Sirius lifetime plan

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good info, and thx for the replies. I will be patient, and probably wait for at least one or two Final Notices. May even try HemiJack/Excoastie's "sweet deal" phone number and see what happens.

Worst case, I don't renew, and honestly, I would not miss it that much. Nice to have, but not a necessity at all. The truck will probably still run. :)

It is disappointing, however, that the Sirius business model appears to screw as many people as possible. The young lady I talked to yesterday was very predatory in her eagerness to sell me as expensive of a subscription as possible. Not worth getting upset over, but I typically walk away from companies that follow that philosophy. Both of us have a choice in the transaction.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Still on my trial but I will pay for it when it's time. I love football and at hunt camp it is great to listen to the game. I only get 3 tv channels on my little tv.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Got offered $25/6 months. Ill just cancel again and wait for the next great offer. I do miss the travel link though...

·
Registered
236 Posts
I am coming up on the end of my trial year with sirrus/xm at the end of May and wondering what to do about renewal. Using any search engine, just look up 'sirrus/xm complaints' and you will find complaints made by thousands of listeners. For example one web site mentions that there are some 3200 complaints filed with the BBB. The complaints that scare me the most are the ones that say if they have your credit card number, it is virtually impossible to cancel service. Next, some have posted that a copy of your check is kept on file and renewal payments can be withdrawn electronically from your bank using that information. And finally, some have complained that by choosing to cancel and not paying from their written invoices resulted in bad credit reports sent to credit reporting agencies, thus lowering their fico score.

Here is an interesting recent blog I found on the internet made by a sirrusXM employee:

"SiriusXMEmployee on February 4, 2012 at 11:09 am
On behalf of SiriusXM, I’d like to apologize for the mistakes that happen in regards to the billing. It is true that ALL of our services do automatically renew unless you call in to cancel, and the excuse given for that is so that you, the subscribers, never go through any interruptions in service that you did not authorize. However, when I was going through training, the REAL reason described is so that we get all the money up front so that -we- never get screwed over. I disagree with this practice and voice my opinion about it on a daily basis at my call center.
I actually work in the cancellations department, so I listen to the disgruntled comments of subscribers all day and try to make up for things that have happened by offering you promotions that are meant to make things better. Everything from a year at half off to five months for twenty-five dollars. However, in an attempt to make it so that the company would earn more money, they’ve actually been removing certain promtotions from the repertoire of the retention agents. NO longer will 5for25 be available, or 2 mos free service. The BEST deal available now is the year at half off, which isn’t even truly a year at half off. Our regular subscription fee is 159.39, with ‘applicable taxes and fees’, whereas the year at half off reduces that 159.39 down to an even 86.
To be completely honest with you, ladies and gentlemen, I’m hunting for another job because I don’t think I can stand behind SiriusXM for too much longer. At one point, I enjoyed my job, being able to save all the customers who called me lots and lots of money. However, as they placed tighter and tighter handcuffs onto the wrists of our agents in an attempt to make the company more money, I can’t help but feel like THIS is exactly what causes the depression that America is falling into.
If you have stocks in SiriusXM, sell them. If you have our services, cancel them. It is in your best interest to remove yourself from this cycle so that you can break free and save yourself more money in the long run. SiriusXM is NOT worth the trouble.
Especially if you’re a Howard Stern fan. He’s actually sueing our comapny for not fulilling our end of his contract."

Another website http://www.customerservicescoreboard.com/XM+Radio
had so many complaints that it says it can only post the most recent 750 negative comments. It also includes graphical charts showing score values in each type of complaint.

Although I love listening to satellite music in my truck, I only drive my Ram about 4000 miles per year and am trying to weigh up in my mind if it's worth the cost to renew. Anyway, these internet posted complaints have convinced me that one should never renew using their credit card or by check. At least with a money order payment, the company does not have access to my financial information and cannot automatically take my money should I decide to not renew down the road or trade vehicles. Still there is that troubling issue mentioned above that the company may send thru a non-payment complaint to credit agencies if I wish to cancel servcie and stop honoring their paper invoices.

I think this is all a bit scary to me.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I got the $77/year (plus tax and US royalty fee) if you call them and tell them you want that deal, they should give it to you, if not hang up and call later to get someone else.......its not advertised but they'll give it to you and then call back in a year to renew at that price.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I like my Sirius radio, I listen to it all the time. I like being able to listen to mood specific tunes when I feel like it. Thanks for the renewal info guys! Much appreciated :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I waited till it expired then got 6 months for $27.44. The catch is that it will renew automatically at the higher rate, so a couple of days before it is set to renew I have to call to cancel and again renew for the lower price for 6 months and do it over again. Bottom line I have to watch my dates and call twice a year to get the low rate.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I do the exact same thing as DTG. I just let it expire and then they give it to me for 25 bucks for 6 mths. I call and cancel a couple days before it supposed to go into the non special discount mode and they give it to me again.

I've never paid over 50 bucks for a year of service in 2 yrs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well I'm not sure if anyone is aware of this... if you call Sirius BEFORE you free 1 year is up, they will buy it back from you. Even if you only have 1 day left on the free trial, they'll give you the full year price $180 or so back as a credit. That's what I just did now I've got a credit on my account. I'll get over 6 months free. I have 2 radios on my account otherwise it would get me a year free.

Here's what my account says now:

3/22/12 Event for Account Adjustment -183.52 0.00 0.00 -183.52

Make sure you call before the 1 year trial is over! It's worth it!

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Mine got canceled with no notice i called up and bitched at them got 6 months free and then after that its 72 a year for 3 years just call and haggle with them theres all kinds od plans. If all you want is music theres a plan for like 5.99 a month

1 - 20 of 48 Posts