DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I have a 2017 2500 and for some reason my Sirius cuts out at random times even in the wide open. I have done a refresh on it several times and still have a problem with it. Could it be a bad receiver? Any help would be great.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I wish I knew the answer to this. My 17 1500 does the same thing. I've had Sirius in 5 F150s, 2 mustangs and a Hyundai previously and have never had the problem.

What's worse is there is one particular intersection in my town that it completely loses signal at. My 2 banks are on opposite corners of that intersection, along with Lowes and Home Depot, Walmart, and a big shopping center I frequent. With as much time as I spend over there, it gets quite frustrating. And the light is one of the longest red lights in town. It has never done that on any previous vehicle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I don't get it my wife had a 2015 explorer and had no problems and her now Subaru has no problem. But my truck sucks I can go up and down the 5 frw in Orange County to work and home and it cuts in and out all the time. It's driving me nuts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
2017 1500 here too. Mine has cut out alot more than mine and my wifes previous GM, Acura and Nissan vehicles. It has been happening more frequently during last 2 weeks than it has in the past. Wondering if we have another issue here.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My 2017 cut out constantly, so much so that I stopped listening to the free trail completely and when that ended I never bothered to renew. I listen to regular radio or music on my phone.

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
Recently i have noticed several new locations where my 2016 Ram Sirius signal cuts out

It has cut out since day 1 about a mile from my place, while passing the ELKS Club
it is a 4 lane road, but it cuts out while driving in the 2 lanes closest to the Elks building, not on the opposite side of the road.

Then one day it started cutting out on Main Street, at the Court House & Civic Center, again it is a 4 lane road, all 4 lanes are affected.

More recently, a major intersection in another part of town, everything was dug up, more poles were put up, there are at least 4 CCTV cameras & 4 of those Traffic Light 'Emergency Vehicle Preemption' devices,

The only time that the Sirius radio cut out before that, was i drove under a bridge or tunnel & once in a while in dense forest or on the back side of a mountain, like driving on some parts of Interstate 81 in Pennsylvania

·
Registered
29 Posts
I personally think it's a satellite issue. I have a subscription for my 2016 1500 and it generally works fine. But on some days it cuts in and out for a few seconds or a particular favorite channel is dead altogether for a couple of minutes.
I thought it was my truck's receiver until I downloaded the app to my phone and last weekend I was sitting out by the pool listening to a favorite channel when the same problem plagued my phone.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I personally think it's a satellite issue. I have a subscription for my 2016 1500 and it generally works fine. But on some days it cuts in and out for a few seconds or a particular favorite channel is dead altogether for a couple of minutes.
I thought it was my truck's receiver until I downloaded the app to my phone and last weekend I was sitting out by the pool listening to a favorite channel when the same problem plagued my phone.

I'm not convinced its a satellite problem. I've never experienced it in any of the 6 or 7 vehicles I've owned with Sirius until this Ram. It has been happening since the day I bought it. Other people in this thread are having the same issues with their 2017 rams as well, and their other vehicles do not experience it. Yes, on rare occasion the signal will cut out on any vehicle, but I cant go anywhere in my truck without it cutting out at least once. Be it a 10 minute drive or a 10 hour drive, it happens every time I am in my truck, and it also happens at one particular intersection in town where I have never had a problem with my other vehicles. Something has to be screwy with the receiver or antennas on the 17s.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Brother in law is a total broadcast geek. Has a production company, upper management at a large cable company etc etc. When it comes to stuff like this, he tends to know his stuff.

According to his vast geekery... there was originally Sirius Satellite Radio and XM Satellite Radio. They merged years back and we got Sirius XM Radio. They work slightly differently but are basically the same concept, so, the transition and merger was easy. Now, the satellites were put into orbit a couple decades ago and they had a lifespan. When time came for satellite updates etc, they could see it was a dying media and scrapped upgrade plans. The satellites up there now, are beyond their lifespan. They still work, but they are on borrowed time. That's why signal loss has increased and connection issues.

He mentioned our state is in a good latitude, so we don't have many problems, but other places do. That's held true in my experience. My truck only loses signal when I am under a roof and my work car (Kia) is the same way. He said they're like cable TV... they know it's dying but offer promotionals to keep it going and hopefully steer you into other services they offer like the app that is sustainable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
sirus tells us it is cell phone tower interference. I verified this , noting the "loss of signal" when near certain towers, not all, but some.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2017 1500 and my Sirius XM cuts out at various locations along the highway. It's worse on my way home. When the Ram was at the dealer for its first oil change, I complained about this issue. I was told that Chrysler/Fiat says this is "acceptable." Acceptable my butt! I bet the CEO of Fiat would not accept this if it as happening to him. Frosts me that I am paying for a service I am not getting 100%. BTW...wife's Genesis Sirius XM has never cut out; I think this is a Ram issue.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts