DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I purchased a 2015 RAM Sport Crew Cab. Great truck, but one major problem. After the truck warms up, driving to work, about a 15-20 minute drive, I notice a strong smell or fume coming from the vent when I'm idle. So every red-light, this strong smell comes into the cabin. When I start driving again, the smell clears up or when I put on air recirculation.

The first time I took it in to the dealer, they said the issue was not reproducible, therefore it can't be fixed. The second time I took it in, I made sure I drove the truck around for awhile, and finally the service guy said, "yes there is something". However, he thinks its some sort of new vehicle burn-off. The same smell seems to be coming from the engine, when its idle, but I can't see any leaks. I haven't crawled under the truck just yet. I feel New vehicle burn is just an excuse.

I fear this is going to be an ongoing problem and now this Ram has become a health and safety problem. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I know the Diesel trucks were experiencing a similar issue in the past. Any other Hemi owners having an issue?

I am going to be installing the air cabin filter, but I shouldn't have to resort to this and there is no guarantee its going to work.

Any help would be much appreciated and thank-you in advance!!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Mine still smells new I have no other smells at all (My weathertech mats smell like plastic)
Wonder if you have an exhaust leak under the hood or a turbo leak?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The smell only really comes in when the truck comes to operating temperatures, then coming to a full stop. I will look for the leak again, I couldn't spot anything unusual though. But if it was an exhaust leak, I think it would appear immediately in the cabin, whether or cold or not I would think.

At one point I had my truck started for 5-7 minutes before jumping in. Only after the engine warmed up 15 minute drive did I notice the smell. Its odd, its extremely difficult to find the issue.

I might just crawl under the truck when its warm next time to see if I find anything unusual. Its extremely frustrating!!

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
The cabin air filter won't help with the smell.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank-you for giving me a glimmer of hope BlackandTan!!

I did a bit of experimenting today to see if this smell happens at all temperature ranges.

I blasted the heat to 30c/86f and ensure the the A/C option on the screen was turned off. No smell! But at the same temperature setting but with the A/C option on, the smell was there.

However, I did some further experiments when I turn on/off the AC, the smell goes away. Or perhaps I just burnt my sense of smell altogether.

I continued to experiment, but it seems thus far its only there with the AC option on. But then when I turn on the air recirculation, the smell wasn't there either. Oh well I will have to continue to test.

Hopefully at some point I find the answer and I can repost it here, in case someone else has the same problem.

That said, I still enjoy driving the truck despite the problems. I'm itching to take it out for some 4x4 fun, but ended up getting my winters on before I can do that. Meh maybe we will have some good snow to get through this season.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As a continuation of this story, the dealer stepped up and opened a tech case with Ram. They got authorization to replace my reservoir, complete flush of all the coolant, new piping, etc... etc... However, once they started to pull everything apart they noticed bubbling paint on my thermostat. They went ahead and replaced everything anyways, but the paint was likely the problem, which was all cleaned up.

Drove the truck home, no more problems, fingers crossed!! This is likely a very rare problem. But its documented here in case someone comes across the same problem.

Now on to the next issue different forum. Need memory seats!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts