DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, our "new to us" truck has smoked headlights. We really don't like them as they cut down on the amount of light from the headlights.

Unfortunately they are not just a film that I can peel off.

Is there a way to salvage the headlights, or am I stuck buying new ones? I'm pretty sure that anything that will remove the smoke coating will also damage the lenses.

New headlights aren't cheap and shipping to Canada is insane. EBAY Link

Anyone interested in a set of smoked headlights? :Hey:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
are they sprayed with Nitehade? If so, go to Walmart and buy a can of "Goof Off". It should be a yellow can. This removed the niteshade tint. It's like 6 bucks. Just put some on a rag, wipe it on and wipe it off. Unless they're actual just smoked headlight housings then you're stuck with having to swap them out.

·
Registered
640 Posts
So, our "new to us" truck has smoked headlights. We really don't like them as they cut down on the amount of light from the headlights.

Unfortunately they are not just a film that I can peel off.

Is there a way to salvage the headlights, or am I stuck buying new ones? I'm pretty sure that anything that will remove the smoke coating will also damage the lenses.

New headlights aren't cheap and shipping to Canada is insane. EBAY Link

Anyone interested in a set of smoked headlights? :Hey:
Hopefully, you have sold yours. Just a thought but are the ones on Ebay brighter than the ones you have. Aftermarket stuff can be chancy unless you can find someone that has them.

You might want to call around to the local wrecking yards. Car-part shows the headlights for your truck vary widely in price but quite a few in the $100/ea range. That's US pricing in the Midwest as a data point.

Good luck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ill buy them from you, PM me some pics of said headlamps please.
I'd sell them to you, but shipping would be too much. Canada Post really sux for shipping. Not sure about other couriers though.

Once I have them replaced I'll box them up properly and find out just what shipping would be, but I'm guessing around $70.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
are they sprayed with Nitehade? If so, go to Walmart and buy a can of "Goof Off". It should be a yellow can. This removed the niteshade tint. It's like 6 bucks. Just put some on a rag, wipe it on and wipe it off. Unless they're actual just smoked headlight housings then you're stuck with having to swap them out.
Hrm... Won't the Goof Off damage the lenses themselves?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Couple questions:

Does it say MOPAR on the lens? IF it's an OEM part I'd try to salvage them.

Start with 600grit wet sand until you've gotten rid of the smoke
work up to 1000grit wetsand
2000 grit wetsand
rinse clean,
wipe with alcohol

Spray a clear coat laqquer over it, good as new.

Where in Alberta are you located? If you're in grand prairie area I can work something out for ya.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts