DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone! About 5 months ago I started the wonderful job of replacing my head gaskets. I figured i have done it in a 91 Acura Legend I could do it in my 96 1500. I got it done and felt very confident. It didnt start right up, took a few tries but it got running. But ever since then it has been smoking out of the exhaust. I know it is oil because of the blue gray smoke coming out and the smell of it. Furthermore, it only smokes upon starting for the first time of the day. At 6 in the morning I start it to warm it up and it smokes. I run errands through the day and nothing. After work I walk out to the truck, start it nothing. Next morning, I start it and it smokes. Has anyone else had these problems? Did I do something wrong? Another thing! When I put the keys in to turn it on, the oil light comes on, 3 seconds after starting, the light goes off and the oil pressure guage shoots from no pressure to normal pressure. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Are you using oil or coolant ? Did you replace the gasket on the bottom of the intake manifold while you had the intake off ? These gaskets are common to failure .

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
Did you replace the valve seals when you did the head gaskets? The oil pressure gauge and light are operating normally.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you using oil or coolant ? Did you replace the gasket on the bottom of the intake manifold while you had the intake off ? These gaskets are common to failure .
I did do that! Cleaned it up and everything! I was reading another post of it going out again, is that common?

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
It can be done with the heads still on the vehicle. You'll need a compressor or air tank and a hose you can thread into the plug hole to supply air and hold the vavles in place while the spring, retainer and locks are off. I also recommend positioning the piston at TDC for the cylinder you're working on to prevent the valves from falling into the cylinder in the even it should drop. You'll also need a valve spring compressor. You can get one at most parts stores.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh.....I have been needing to add oil. about a pint a month...I have been losin coolant but I know what that one is from, my radiator has a crack on the right side where it is crimped on

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
The oil loss makes sense if you have a valve seal problem since you said you already replaced the belly pan gasket on the intake.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts