DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my wife decided to surprise me by renting a 2017 Hartland Pioneer 270BH for a camping trip. The specs for this thing are:

• GVWR -7632
  • Hitch Weight -632
  • UVW - 5795
  • CCC - 1837
  • Exterior Length - 31'6"
  • Exterior Height - 11'
  • Exterior Width - 96"
  • Fresh Water - 55 gal
  • Gray Water - 42 gal
  • Black Water - 42 gal
  • Awning Size - 20'
My concern is that I have no real experience towing with this air suspension and wonder if I am pushing envelope with my 2017 Rebel. I do not have upgraded anything on the suspension. Would appreciate thoughts...oh btw, she kept this as a surprise to the point that we lose most of the money if we cancel... I love that woman, but we now have an agreement that there will be no further "surprises" involving my truck towing or hauling anything (even a Barbie Doll bed for the girl next door).

VIC

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
You'll need a weight distributing hitch with sway control. The specs are very close to what I tow with my Bighorn. I added airlift 1000 airbags to help with the weight, but your air suspension combined with the wdh should handle the trailer fine, just watch how you load the trailer and what you carry in the truck / bed. Pay attention to your max payload.

It sounds like you're looking for truck specific info, so I won't get into anything beyond what you asked.

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,245 Posts
Good advice there from 14Hemi. Hopefully the rental place will also rent (and setup) a WDH for ya. Other than that, enjoy the trip! Look forward to hearing all about it. :smileup:

·
Registered
180 Posts
When hitching up you'll want to use the following procedure for properly adjusting the weight distributing hitch with the factory air:

1. Place the suspension in "Tire Jack" mode. You don't want the suspension trying to compensate for the hitch weight until after you have adjusted the bars. Measure the front wheel well height after engaging tire jack mode.
2. Set the ball height about 1-1.5" below the height of the coupler on the trailer when it's level. This is contrary to most weight distributing hitch installation instructions but it will ensure that the air suspension does not raise it back up to a slightly nose-high position when re-engaged. You want the trailer to be level to slightly nose-down.
3. Drop the tongue on the hitch and measure the front wheel well height again. When adjusting the bars try to get the front wheel well height back to 50% or less of the unloaded height.
4. Once the bars are adjusted disable "Tire Jack" mode and let the suspension then auto-level the rear. This won't redistribute any weight but it will eliminate any remaining sag and ensure the headlights are not shining too high.

When unhitching put the suspension in tire jack mode again to prevent the suspension from trying to auto-level while you are removing the weight.

Once properly adjusted I think you'll find the factory air makes for a great towing experience. I've put about 20K towing miles on my '14 w/factory air and it's been a really good towing platform. Good luck and enjoy the trip!

Reactions: Thunderhorse

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses guys, think I am prepared. TTavasc, thanks for the detailed instructions on the WDH.

VIC

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Trip Success

So, the truck performed like a champ with the trailer, although feel like it is at the far end of the limitations and wouldn't necessarily want to regularly pull this trailer with my current truck. The transmission temp never got above 194 and the suspension leveled out perfectly. Overall very pleased.

VIC

Attachments

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,245 Posts
Glad to hear you had a great time. Thanks for posting up a pic, she looks nice and level there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts