DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've got a '14 Ram with the 5.7. Out of the three years I've had her, only two were spent daily driving. 9 months in the middle east let her sit with my wife having to use her as a daily driver for a few months while her car was down, then just weekly start ups and laps around the block or quick runs to the store to keep her alive. So, I'm at... just shy of 50K miles? Maybe closer to 45,000.... anyways. What is it? What should I listen for? I tend to overthink these things, and if I hear a fly smacking the side of the window I find myself asking 'is this the tick? the annoyance I've been reading so much about?!"

So, my question fellow enthusiasts, what is the HEMI tick? What's the sound to listen for?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
28 Posts
In mid-November I am taking my 2012 to the dealer I bought from new, and ask them to diagnose the ticking sound on startup, under the power train warranty. I hope they find the cause. If they tell its "normal" like so many others have been told, then to believe them, I would also have to believe that the first 70,000 miles of the trucks life it was running "abnormally", because it did not tick at all! I know it only lasts for 30 seconds, but it is annoying and obviously should not be there. And to answer your question, if you had the "Hemi tick" you would definitely know it!

Tom
Black 2012 Quad Cab Express 4x4 5.7 L, leveled

·
Premium Member
32,787 Posts
montgomery1321
any time that the truck has been sitting over night
I stand by the passenger side front wheel & start the truck up, i park my truck so that the passenger side is close to my garage door, so the amount of sound my be different than yours
it will sound similar to tapping your keys lightly on window glass
It will only make the sound for a short time & you won't hear it again until the truck has been shut off for a extended periods

I changed to a synthetic motor oil & that lessened the amount of time that i heard the noise
When my HEMI powered truck was built at the factory, they used Mobile conventional 5W-20
I only switched to Mobile One synthetic 5W-20 & i trust WIX as an premium oil filter

If i lived in a colder climate, such as yours, i would be using a premium motor oil that reads 0W-20 if they sell it up there.
0 is the temperature, W stands for Winter, the 20 is the viscosity weight of the oil at 100 degrees F

for a clearer explanation
http://www.kewengineering.co.uk/Auto_oils/oil_viscosity_explained.htm

·
Registered
165 Posts
Every once in awhile I go searching the web for answers to the Hemi tick question. I have yet to find a definitive answer. Is it the fuel injectors, piston slap, MDS, valve noise or a precursor to the dreaded lifter/cam meltdown. Is it only happening to 2011 to 14 5.7's? Has it been resolved. My 2016 is whisper quiet so far even after sitting for days (a week) and I'm really hoping it will stay that way. If it should start to become noisy I would really like to know what's going on or better yet how to prevent it. There has to be an explanation....other than "they all do it". Has Chrysler got the answer and ain't talkin?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Actually in the w does stand for winter or viscosity when cold, so 0 W 20 would be SAE 0 weight when cold and SAE 20 when hot.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ahh the infamous Hemi thick witch started back in 2003 when the Hemi Ram first came out. I had a 03 Hemi for 13 years with 140000 miles and the motor ran great with no problems and it had the thick. To me it was just internal valve train noise from the engine design.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I call the Hemi "tick" the noise at start up after it has sat for 6+ hours. When I went from cheap oil to quality oil on my'08 it went away. I don't mean synthetic either. I went from store brand to Castrol and it disappeared.

Luke

·
Registered
988 Posts
My 2015 does it occaisonally and I'm running 5W20 Pennzoil Platinum with the Mopar SRT filter. Of course its a lot less frequent with this combination than it was with the factory oil. Its pretty mild compared to the older GM LS engines that would make similar noises for what seemed like an eternity after a cold startup.

·
Registered
755 Posts
My 2015 does it occaisonally and I'm running 5W20 Pennzoil Platinum with the Mopar SRT filter. Of course its a lot less frequent with this combination than it was with the factory oil. Its pretty mild compared to the older GM LS engines that would make similar noises for what seemed like an eternity after a cold startup.
FWIW, unless you're just a Pennzoil guy you might want to try Castrol. When I went from Pennzoil Platinum to Castrol it really helped lock it down. Just a thought.

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about with the LS series. My bro-in-law's car does that.

Luke

·
Registered
28 Posts
My "Hemi tick" started at 70,000 miles, never a sound before. Took it to a RAM dealer, they said try motor flush, and full synthetic, which I did for $125 in the Express Oil Change line, one hour later, walk with service guy out to truck, which had been sitting for 5 minutes..... tick tick tick for 30 seconds. Service guy shrugs and goes back in the building. Took it home, shut it off, waited 3 minutes, started it up..... tick tick tick for 30 seconds. So it sure doesn't have to be cold to do it, at least not with my 2012.

Tom

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A lot of good information here, and I appreciate it. I don't hear anything abnormal, and this whole week I've been working nights with my truck parked right outside the door, and its been -1 to 5 above the past week at night and I haven't heard anything loud or obnoxious sounding like a ticking, maybe more of a subtle whine for 10-15 seconds then its quite. I guess I'll keep an ear out through the winter, and GTYankee, thanks for the oil suggestion. She's creeping up on her due date and I'm going to start doing it on my own. Dealership where I bought her in WA charged $38 for oil & tire rotation. Here in AK it's ~$105 for just the oil. Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Every once in awhile I go searching the web for answers to the Hemi tick question. I have yet to find a definitive answer. Is it the fuel injectors, piston slap, MDS, valve noise or a precursor to the dreaded lifter/cam meltdown. Is it only happening to 2011 to 14 5.7's? Has it been resolved. My 2016 is whisper quiet so far even after sitting for days (a week) and I'm really hoping it will stay that way. If it should start to become noisy I would really like to know what's going on or better yet how to prevent it. There has to be an explanation....other than "they all do it". Has Chrysler got the answer and ain't talkin?
I'm just curious where that information came from? There are endless threads in the 2016 sub forum regarding the hemi tick, and my 2016 does it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm just curious where that information came from? There are endless threads in the 2016 sub forum regarding the hemi tick, and my 2016 does it.

Just my casual observation....after reading the 2011 cam failure "sticky" in this forum. I'm just wondering if Hemi tick is the precursor to lifter/cam failure.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Just my casual observation....after reading the 2011 cam failure "sticky" in this forum. I'm just wondering if Hemi tick is the precursor to lifter/cam failure.
IDK where you got the '11 to '14 range from; that thread has 1 '09, 4 '10s, and 9 2011s that have had that failure. AFAIK there haven't been any 2012s or newer with the cam lobe rounding.

I am pretty sure the tick has nothing to do with it, there are plenty of 200,000+ mile Hemis that have always ticked and not had the issue

·
Registered
165 Posts
IDK where you got the '11 to '14 range from; that thread has 1 '09, 4 '10s, and 9 2011s that have had that failure. AFAIK there haven't been any 2012s or newer with the cam lobe rounding.

I am pretty sure the tick has nothing to do with it, there are plenty of 200,000+ mile Hemis that have always ticked and not had the issue
I stand corrected.....must of had a brain fart or something....it happens at my age LOL!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Guys, I have a 2014 model in black. I am wanted my to change out the stock black grill and grill inserts with all chrome with chrome inserts. Anyone up for a trade? Please post.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So, I've got a '14 Ram with the 5.7. Out of the three years I've had her, only two were spent daily driving. 9 months in the middle east let her sit with my wife having to use her as a daily driver for a few months while her car was down, then just weekly start ups and laps around the block or quick runs to the store to keep her alive. So, I'm at... just shy of 50K miles? Maybe closer to 45,000.... anyways. What is it? What should I listen for? I tend to overthink these things, and if I hear a fly smacking the side of the window I find myself asking 'is this the tick? the annoyance I've been reading so much about?!"

So, my question fellow enthusiasts, what is the HEMI tick? What's the sound to listen for?

Thanks everyone!
Its actually a design flaw in the engine block the oil reservoirs on the block dont adequately move oil around like it should. They didn't fix it until 2018. Anyway the tick is because of bad lifters and if driven like that long enough you'll get problems with your cam shaft. It's either that or exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone,
I just bought a 2017 dodge ram with a 5.7l hemi and it ticks as well. Originally just when I started it but now upon acceleration. I just had the oil changed yesterday and still notice it. Any ideas guys? I'm new to the Mopar family.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks everyone!
There’s no confusion when it begins to tick. It’s loud and annoying as hell. My 2016 just started. Taking it into the shop but pessimistic I’ll get a good answer. Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's the camshaft and lifters. The lifters do not get enough oil because of the MDS. Had the issue last year. Cost $5k. However, I did bump up the power.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts