DODGE RAM FORUM banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
So, I've got a '14 Ram with the 5.7. Out of the three years I've had her, only two were spent daily driving. 9 months in the middle east let her sit with my wife having to use her as a daily driver for a few months while her car was down, then just weekly start ups and laps around the block or quick runs to the store to keep her alive. So, I'm at... just shy of 50K miles? Maybe closer to 45,000.... anyways. What is it? What should I listen for? I tend to overthink these things, and if I hear a fly smacking the side of the window I find myself asking 'is this the tick? the annoyance I've been reading so much about?!"

So, my question fellow enthusiasts, what is the HEMI tick? What's the sound to listen for?

Thanks everyone!
Household hardware Bicycle part Material property Automotive tire Tool
Household hardware Bicycle part Material property Automotive tire Tool
This just happened in my 2013 5.7 Ram.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In mid-November I am taking my 2012 to the dealer I bought from new, and ask them to diagnose the ticking sound on startup, under the power train warranty. I hope they find the cause. If they tell its "normal" like so many others have been told, then to believe them, I would also have to believe that the first 70,000 miles of the trucks life it was running "abnormally", because it did not tick at all! I know it only lasts for 30 seconds, but it is annoying and obviously should not be there. And to answer your question, if you had the "Hemi tick" you would definitely know it!

Tom
Black 2012 Quad Cab Express 4x4 5.7 L, leveled
I've had Dodge Ram 1500s for 14 hrs now and twice had a tick when cold.. Caused by snapped manifold bolts in the block.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts