DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im blacking out my 2012 Ram Express Hemi and when I look for a black aftermarket part, 99% of the time it is black carbon fiber. I hate the look of it. It actually makes me want to throw up. Now if I was driving a custom track car, I might not mind the look of it because it would be functional first, ya know, weight savings. The only carbon fiber products that make sense are body panels for weight so why do the aftermarketers have to make everything under the sun with a fake carbon fiber sticker on it? My guess is the 19-30 year old teenagers (not a typo) that are still stuck in high school and have the need to fit it. Just my rant.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Its good to let it out every once in awhile. My thoughts on it are there is always a time and a place for it. I think carbon fiber looks awesome in some applications and terrible in others. I would never want to put carbon fiber on the outside of my ram but I think the carbon fiber dash kits look pretty cool for the inside.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Sorry I'm so old school it just makes me think rice burner.. If I had a Chally I would conside using some. An d yes things like intake tubes or such.. But I just dont like the look of it unfinished anyway. Funnycar bodies and such are carbo fiber but they are painted. I saw some cars at the LX nationals with Carbonfiber body panels in the raw and it just does not look right IMO.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
I think it looks ok in small suttle ways/ I have my shifter ring wrapped in a carbon fiber sticker to keep the flare outta my eyes. I would have painted it but then it's painted underneath it and it's already black on top of the shifter, it transitions it if u ask me. But too much is a bad thing!

·
Registered
718 Posts
I love carbon. All types. I'm a boat, airplane, and an R/C airplane guy and composits are excellent in all applications. Now with that said. I do not like vinyl carbon wraps. They just do not look wright in my opinion. Anyone who has ever worked with glass or carbon fiber knows the true beauty of the material.
So I'm sitting I'm my neighbors TC and he asks me if I like the carbon fiber dash panel. At first glance it looked good. But after feeling the 3d texture, I was like wow. It's nice. I didn't have the heart to tell him I thought is stunk. It should be smooth like glass. Should be able to be waxed, and buffed. The finnish should be flawless.

JUST MY 2 CENTS.

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
The only way I've seen carbon fiber look good is when it's hydro dipped or is the real thing. I just ordered a intake that's carbon fiber, simply because it only comes in CF and it's light enough that it doesn't need support in the engine bay. I picked up about 1 yard of cf vinyl just to see what the hype was about and I wasn't a fan of the look.

·
Registered
95 Posts
To each his own...

I like the carbon fibre. I just ordered the dash kit for my ram. Admittedly though, that's as far as I am going to go with it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
So Im blacking out my 2012 Ram Express Hemi and when I look for a black aftermarket part, 99% of the time it is black carbon fiber. I hate the look of it. It actually makes me want to throw up. Now if I was driving a custom track car, I might not mind the look of it because it would be functional first, ya know, weight savings. The only carbon fiber products that make sense are body panels for weight so why do the aftermarketers have to make everything under the sun with a fake carbon fiber sticker on it? My guess is the 19-30 year old teenagers (not a typo) that are still stuck in high school and have the need to fit it. Just my rant.
So it makes you want to throw up if it's NOT functional??? Wow that carbon fiber is some powerful stuff.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I thik caddyram nailed it. Props to him:LOL: :LOL::LOL::SHOCKED::LOL:

·
Registered
198 Posts
I guess I should say the FAKE carbon fiber is some really powerful stuff. If that's the case imagine what the real stuff could do.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i have to say that i think carbon fiber of any kind on the exterior of a truck, looks absolutely absurd. however i cant stand the fake wood trim in my truck, it just looks tacky and i could paint it but i would rather have some sort of detail. so im actually thinking of doing a carbon fiber wrap, nothing to ridiculous, but just enough to get rid of that wood fake wood crap.

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
It's good if it's used appropriately. I don't like the hood on the civic done in CF, just lookes weird and like it's calling for attention. I do however like the ZR1 with PAINTED CF body panels, and CF body skirts that look nice as a trim/accent. Depending on what it is, it is ok. I'd agree though, just about 99% of anything CF on a truck in general is sort of stupid, unless maybe trim like I saw in a pic above, or maybe if you did a ton of CF (painted) for weight savings for a track vehicle or something...

·
Registered
310 Posts
Real CF is a great way to reduce weight. It is like 1/5 the weight of steel parts and as strong, if not stronger. I would love to have a CF hood for my RAM, just saying. Draw back is price,lol:SHOCKED:

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
I'd do CF (painted) panels on my ram (or FG for that matter) if I could do a lot, like hood, fenders, doors, and tail gate. At least with all that you'd drop some REAL weight, not 5-10 lbs on one panel alone that in the grand scheme does basically nothing. Just like everything else it's the combination that makes it worth while. Then again, I think all those CF parts would cost a FORTUNE lol.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts