DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, here's the deal. Pulled into a parking lot yesterday to send a text and when I went to put the truck in park there was a big clunk and the column shifter basically froze up,stuck in reverse. Didn't know what to do at the moment so I went ahead and shut the truck off. After fiddling with it for a while I was eventually able to get the column shifter back into neutral so I could start the truck again but all it would do was go from reverse to neutral and the shifter seemed very loose in the column. It had a full range of motion, meaning it would go all the way up and down but only drop into reverse or neutral. Called my dealer and he immediately sent a loaner truck and had mine towed to the shop. He seemed to think it was the linkage and should be an easy fix. I really have no idea what it could be. Any thoughts? I'll of course keep you posted as to what they find. Btw, it's a 2012 4x4 with just over 3000 miles on it. Kinda sux that such a new truck would leave me stranded but I'm willing to give Dodge the benifit of the doubt...for now.

·
Registered
35,470 Posts
Yeah from the sounds of it, it may be your linkage...A buddy of mine had the same thing happen when he pulled into work the other day... The truck was towed to the dealer and it was in fact his linkage.... Like you said, you can put it in reverse and neutral however that was it....Keep us updated on how things work out...

Ed

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
I really like the way your dealer handled that! :smileup:
It is unfortunate when our trucks break, but it will happen eventually. Sometimes it's as simple as a windshield wiper, and sometimes it's a blown transmission. That is the beauty of warranty! Yes, your inconvenienced, but it could be much worse.

In your case, the dealer is showing customer service extraordinaire! That kind of service is more important than the truck IMO.

I agree with the others that speculate the shift linkage. Hope you get your truck back soon, and never have to deal with an issue in the future, but if one arises, I think you have a great dealer to help you out. :smileup:

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Got to agree with brad12kx. That is awesome that they came out a loaner truck! Hope its a quick fix, which it sounds like it will be. Wow.....still cant believe they came out with a loaner truck. Are you a VIP there or something? Thats just fantastic.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Damn good dealer ya have there. I had tranny trouble with my 2010 and I had to fend for myself for a rental and mail in to get reimbursed. Sounds like the linkage tho, easy fix.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I see your from little rock. I know you cant be talking about Fletcher dodge b/c they have treated me badly with every problem I have had. I mean there sales department is good but there service department sucks. lol Let us know what happens

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually I am talking about Fletcher. Sorry if you've had a bad experience but I've bought a couple vehicles from them now and as far as I'm concerned I'll never buy anywhere else. They have been great for me. Gonna call them in a bit to see what the status of my truck is. I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got an update on my truck. They said they found a rock wedged against the linkage cable and that it eventually made it break. They had to order the part so I won't get it back today but that's ok. I'm just glad it wasn't something serious. Its crazy how a rock could get in there considering I've never even had it off the pavement yet. Crazy things happen sometimes.

·
Registered
94 Posts
hey redram 5.7 and hemiblack, I am in bryant. Good to know there are a lot of us from arkansas on here. I bought my ram from steve landers chrysler dodge jeep eagle on university, so far have had a great experiance with them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Glad it was nothing serious with your truck, hope they get your part quick and get you back in your truck soon, i would hate to be without mine.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Good to hear your truck is ok. Hey ramfan im from the cabot way, ya its good to know there are a few arkansas poeple on here, but anyway the only problem with fletcher dodge is the service dept. have givin me alot of trouble but this is my 2nd truck I bought from them and the sales was good to me. I mean they worked with me and have giving me some good deals. I may have to give landers a try one day!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts