DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here I am, a new Ram owner...visions of horsepower making goodies and teenagers in Mustangs left sitting still at intersections are fully abound in my head. Then today comes around, the day I must take a trip to the local Mississippi Department of Revenue office. They're just tags, right? Can't be more than a couple hundred bucks, right? WRONG. Those jack wagons took me for $520!!!!!!! AND THE ROADS AREN'T EVEN IN GOOD SHAPE HERE!!!!

Anyway. Sorry for the rant. I do have a legitimate, albeit newb, question. After the run of the mill intake mods, I want to look in to one of those fancy Diablo tuners. I'm assuming these little ole devices HAVE to stay plugged in to keep the tune. Correct?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Nope! Just plug it in follow the directions to install the tune and then Ta Da! All done. you can remove it and not have to worry about it. The tune stays on the computer of the truck so you are good to go.

By the way I love the name you've got. Led Zeppelin rocks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AHA!!!!! Thanks for the info sir!! I'm A LOT more receptive to these little devices now. :)

And I appreciate it! Not many folks get it!!

·
Premium Member
32,744 Posts
Just be glad that you don't have a California Ram
$520 is peanuts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah...if I had to pay anymore, I'd just opt for a Pinto or something!!!

·
Registered
324 Posts
I paid $320 for my 1996 Ram!!! and that's not including smog, the weight cert. Worse yet, that's every year!

·
Registered
442 Posts
wow is this a one time fee or annual? up here in NB canada, i pay 175 annually. and i complain, couldnt imagine if it was 500 per year

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
An Illinois Ram would cost you $101. In fact all cars cost $101 a year in Illinois. The ONLY good thing about this state.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I paid $320 for my 1996 Ram!!! and that's not including smog, the weight cert. Worse yet, that's every year!
$320 for a '96?! I knew GTYankee said a Cali Ram was expensive but good grief...that's just robbery!!!

wow is this a one time fee or annual? up here in NB canada, i pay 175 annually. and i complain, couldnt imagine if it was 500 per year
An Illinois Ram would cost you $101. In fact all cars cost $101 a year in Illinois. The ONLY good thing about this state.
When I was living in the Tennessee, out in the country where I grew up, tags usually ran around the $100-$200 mark. I used to complain too...then I moved to Mississippi. Lol. I WISH I paid now what I paid then. And yes scmedic...that's ANNUAL. Well...it drops a little each year. They base how much you pay on the vehicle's worth. So as the vehicle depreciates, the tags get a little cheaper. That's why SOOOO many people drive clunkers. Lol!!!

Mine is $720 and thats on a three year old vehicle (it goes down a little every year)!!
It sounds like Cali does things somewhat like MS. Do they base how much you pay on the dollar value of your vehicle?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I don't feel so bad now being in PA. 81.00 annual Registration Fee.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
It sounds like Cali does things somewhat like MS. Do they base how much you pay on the dollar value of your vehicle?

I am not sure how they do their math, but it drops over the first 5-8 years until it settles somewhere in the $150-200 range.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yeah, CA bases the tax rate on the purchase price of the vehicle, I wrote $120 on mine, the actual reg. fee was $120, but they charge me $200 for a weight penalty (ON A 1500).

On my old GMC 2500 (a 1993), they charged my $275 for registration, a flat fee of $200 for weight, $10 to get a weight certificate, $40 for commercial fees, $200 additional weight penalty for being 280lbs over the weight the registration said.

WELCOME TO CALIFORNISTAN, home of the biggest F-U to regular people (unless you're on state aid, then your good)...

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Michigan bases the licensing fee from the MSRP of the vehicle, each year my RAM will cost $256.00 plus $10 for the State Park Passport (optional but well worth it). The licensing fee decreases 10% for the first three years and then the fee becomes static.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Holy hell. I'd have to take my shoes off and start counting on my toes to do all that calculating.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I went from a 2000 Ram 1500 at $38 (The lowest here I think other then collector plates.) for yearly tabs to $520 a year for my 2013 Ram. They have some weird new math here. They use base value. However, I have never been able to determine how they come up with the number.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I went from a 2000 Ram 1500 at $38 (The lowest here I think other then collector plates.) for yearly tabs to $520 a year for my 2013 Ram. They have some weird new math here. They use base value. However, I have never been able to determine how they come up with the number.
Its called a hat filled with little pieces of paper....:LOL:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts