DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wanted to throw this out there,

But I got mine in and this thread will help people "searching" for answers to the Sonnax piece!

I have had mine in for two days now, along with

BlackRamHemi...bad @$$ black reg cab (please chime in) :)

and we both are very happy with the shifting results. I cannot speak for the few that have bad things to say about these pieces....but I can't confirm their claims either, because....

My truck shifts WAY better with the Sonnax in! I found tons of happy owners on the D T forum, so I went for it, and will never look back! :)

Edit: Here is the install.......passenger side of the transmission at the back corner of the fluid pan...single connector behind the y-pipe / heat guard plate! The Sonnax just clips between the transmission and the stock wire...only one way to do it!

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Cool! Are you going to the track tonight to see how it effects times? Any other changes since the last track visit?

The more talk about this sonnax the more I want to buy it....I saw BRH was pleased with his as well...where'd you order yours from?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Good Idea to start its own Thread Timmy :smileup:
it was kind of a thread hijack on the broken transmission thread

It's about the fastest easiest performance mod you can add for $50
although its little more than a resistor housed in a stock connector, it does the job.

I'm not sure it will show up on a timeslip as a huge benefit,
but just the increased firmness of the shifts makes it great for daily driving.

The biggest benefit for those that race, or just drive hard, is extending the life of your transmission because it increases the holding power of the internal clutch packs.

Less clutch slip = less chance of burning the frictions off the clutch plates = less change of a burnt up transmission.

45RFE - 545RFE - 68RFE Line Pressure Booster
#45LPB / #68LPB. This family of transmissions uses a full range line pressure sensor mounted on the outside of the transmission for "closed loop" line pressure control. Due to this system, traditional methods of raising line pressure by changing the PR spring or valves have no effect. This Line Pressure Booster alters the pressure signal sent to the computer causing the computer to raise line pressure. The 68RFE has a 10-15 PSI increase and the 45RFE and 545RFE has a 15-30 PSI increase. Higher line pressure increases clutch holding power and torque capacity. Changes in shift feel will be noticed mostly under aggressive driving or loaded conditions. This part is ideal for heavy duty and modified vehicles and even stock transmissions when a little extra pressure is desired. No other modifications are required. The Line Pressure Booster installs between the pressure sensor and vehicle harness using OEM style sealed connectors. Simply unplug the vehicle harness and reconnect with one of these parts. Cost $49.00

Increased line pressure
Increased clutch clamping force and torque capacity
Installs on outside of transmission
Easy plug and play installation

You can pick one up at several places on line

http://www.transmissionsone.com/45rfe_performance_parts_from_pat.htm

their ebay add here:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/45RFE-545RFE...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53e6d19674

$39.95 here:

http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/45RFE_545RFE_Electric_Line_Pressure_Boost_p/400-044957lb2.htm

couple install pic's

Mine:

Here's the passenger side view looking toward the Y pipe on a stock Ram

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
^ Every time I'm about to order it something pops up haha! Did not realize it could screw with it....I could set the TM to stock, but I don't know which would be better as the SC increases line pressure...I will ask them how much they increase it...

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I had a Superchips Cortex , :smiledown:
only ran it for about a month and couldn't sell it fast enough!

I've found a winning combo for a great launch, solid shifts and very little to no noticeable factory torque management....
Edge Torque Converter + Diablo Tune + Sonnax

MGH tells me there's a work around to use a TransGo shift kit on a 4G 545RFE now too.
That will be my next mod (it's only $69) !

BTW, the Sonnax is not required if you want to get a custom Diablo tune done
....you're CMR can program the same line pressures for you and save you the $50

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
^ Every time I'm about to order it something pops up haha! Did not realize it could screw with it....I could set the TM to stock, but I don't know which would be better as the SC increases line pressure...I will ask them how much they increase it...
Let me know what you find out. I'd like to get one for myself too, thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have been monitoring line pressure since I installed my last trans 2 weeks ago. I have a CMR tune and when I had the dealer quick learn my trans, the pressure increase was only 5psi higher on the gauge than what the computer was reading without the Sonnax. Normal operating pressure in forward gears is 35 - 165psi. At full throttle, without the Sonnax, the max that I read was 175. With the Sonnax the max at full throttle is 225psi. I have also increased the pressure on the bypass spring in the pump to make the pump build more pressure. With the added pressure, the shifts are firm and quick, but not harsh.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
For the guys who are worried about combining the Sonnax with the superchips, according to superchips they do not touch the line pressure on the tuning for 3rd gen ram's. So putting the Sonnax on in conjunction with with the superchips tuning should not pose a problem. I have been running a superchips/Sonnax combo for almost a year now with no issues. I would think this would also hold true for 4th gens but that is something I am not 100% certain of.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Thanks ORT, I'm going to ask them next week to double check, I will post what they tell me......I was under the impression that they did increase line pressure...

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Thanks ORT, I'm going to ask them next week to double check, I will post what they tell me......I was under the impression that they did increase line pressure...
Here's a quote I found about it. This is from the guy who led the beta testing group for the advanced trans options.

They do it another way. They do not touch pressures. They've tested elevated pressure for the 1-2 shift, with their TCM tuning. They came to the conclusion that for a day to day driver it's just too hard. For the performance folks that might not make much sense, but most "average" daily drivers wouldn't like that type of shift. Superchips upgraded the program during the trans options beta to accommodate users who purchased their products and complained the shifts were already too hard.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
I got one last week and installed it as well...can't say I feel anything different but my shifts were firm to begin with...I just wanted the peace of mine knowin the pressure is up as I accelerate harder...

·
Registered
318 Posts
I been thinking of buying one but wondered if it was something as simple as that "power wire" thats floating around or if there was something more to it.... a lot of people have said they haven't noticed the difference with or without it

·
Registered
820 Posts
Will this help take that spongy feeling you get under hard acceleration?My truck feels like it pulls hard then lets up a bit then pulls harder again. if this would help that then im buying one.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had a Superchips Cortex , :smiledown:
only ran it for about a month and couldn't sell it fast enough!

I've found a winning combo for a great launch, solid shifts and very little to no noticeable factory torque management....
Edge Torque Converter + Diablo Tune + Sonnax

MGH tells me there's a work around to use a TransGo shift kit on a 4G 545RFE now too.
That will be my next mod (it's only $69) !

BTW, the Sonnax is not required if you want to get a custom Diablo tune done
....you're CMR can program the same line pressures for you and save you the $50

Okay, so if I get a custom tune for my truck by HEMIFEVER (because there is no one out here that does this) I can ask for them to do this upgrade in my tune. So I don't have to buy it and plug it in correct?

Also I saw the TransGo shift kit on this same website. But for $139.00:doh:.. Canada for you eh?? :LOL:

Is this something I can put in myself or a shop with relative ease? I couldn't get any install information or kit contents.. :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Yup, its fully adjustable using CMR software.

There are two different TransGo kits,
the simple one just replaces a bunch of springs on the Valve body by dropping the trans pan and removing the VB.

I found a post with some install details for a 3G Ram on DT but can't post a link here
http://www.d o d g e t a l k.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153865
cut and paste this link then remove the spaces between the DT letters and that may work. :4-dontknow:

MGH said you cant use the entire main (larger kit?) on a 4G 545RFE
I would assume this is the best one to get for a 4G, but hopefully MGH can fill us in, and let us know what's compatible or not.
Got my Edge Torque Converter from Andre, they have the TransGo for $69
http://www.edgeracingconverters.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=33_36_48&products_id=81

TransGo 545rfe/45rfe HD-2

$69.90

The shift kit fits any 45rfe / 5-45rfe and 1999-Up Transmission. This kit can be installed without taking the transmission out of the car. Designed for many uses….. Competition Muscle Cars Towing Heavy Duty Service Vehicles It can be installed for up shifts, or down shifts at any RPM! The TRANSGO 45RFE-HD2 will correct many inherent problems and extend the life of your transmission by correcting gear over lap and slippage. Everything needed is included. All parts, gaskets and manual for the install and no special tools are required. TRANSGO is the number one name in shift kits and this is the number one kit for the 5-45rfe / 45rfe in Racing, Heavy Duty application, or the performance minded daily driver.

I hit the all the local speed shops in town today and nobody had one, they only carry B&M stuff who doesnt have anything for us
the guys all said only a specialty transmission shop would get it in as a "jobber kit".

But I Did luck out and found a sweet Hurst Shifter :smileup:

·
Registered
154 Posts
That is a sweeet Hurst Shifter bud! Where did u snag that?? I like the centre console too. Slick! I'm thinkin I'm going to order that kit and get it done when I gotta service the tranny. I was thinkin about a bigger tranny cooler too?? What are your thoughts?

1 - 20 of 213 Posts