DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to lower my spare tire, luckily I don't have a flat, just getting it out of the way while I replace the shocks. Got out the flimsy jack kit and went to work only to find that the rod just spins. After dis/re assembling the rods trying each end in case one was bent I gave up. This morning I went by the dealership to see if they had an answer for me. The tech tries inserting the rod and turning and again it doesn't engage the winch. A second tech comes over and looks down the tube and triumphantly exclaims " it's a lock, you need your key". I got the truck used and it didn't come with a spare tire key, let alone the key for the aftermarket lugs that are on the rest of the tires. I have read that if you don't have the card that should have come with the truck with the serial numbers on it, that it is a major PITA to order. Has anyone had any luck ordering one of these keys? Doge customer service told me that she can't answer any technical questions and could only give me info from the owners manual!!! I have the owners manual so I don't need help reading lol but that info isn't in there anyway.

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
Most of the rod ends will not actually fit over the square nut. I'd have to look at my kit again but IIRc only one of the rods will fit the nut to lower the tire. I did it a couple months ago when I lubed the winch mechanism.

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
When i had the bed off of my 2016 Ram eco-diesel, i noticed that spare tire setup
darn thing looks like one of those things that are put on dogs necks that keep them from scratching or biting a spot that is itching

surely they could have come up with a better setup

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
Doesn't every truck-going back decades-have a winch type setup? I thought it was pretty standard. The plastic forcing cone helps getting the rod onto the winch nut

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
I should have looked inside of the cone to see what kind of a tool would fit in there

Some ppl have said that a a socket wrench extension is all that you need to turn it, if it does, then i will make a long extension so that i can use my 1/2" battery powered wrench & the extension to raise & lower the spare.
That wrench is always in my tool box anyway & 3 foot extension won't take up any room

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
That's a really good idea. IIRC mine is a square (3/8"?) fitting, but I think my dad's has a wheel lock type fitting so you'd need an end on the extension that fits your wheel lock

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
I think i'll go to Discount Tire tomorrow & see what they use for a tool to lower & raise the spare
They don't use the OEM tool, they have long custom made tools for the spare tires, their tool has a speed handle welded on one end
that is where i got the idea to make a tool

The guys at that place are friendly, they go through floor jacks so fast that they always have brand new spare jacks. I asked where they get the rubber pads that fit on the metal pad, they put them on so that they don't scratch the rear axles.
They grabbed a brand new rubber pad & gave it to me :)

Reactions: fireproof69

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
Yeah I always liked Discount Tire, they seem to take pretty good care of your vehicle. Unfortunately they don't have them out here.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Back to the OP's question. I don't know if Ram sells a lock for the spare tire. If not, it will be difficult to find the key. IIWM, I'd drop the spare by removing the clamp that holds it to the cable and see how the lock keeps the tool out of the socket. It might be easy to cut it off with the tire down, otherwise you might remove the tire winch assembly and see about getting the lock removed or replace the winch with one from a wrecked truck.

You might be able to weld a nut to it to back it out now that I see what they look like.

I also don't know if Ram keeps a copy of the lock code supplied with the truck. If so, your dealership should be able to run the VIN and find it.

You could try the Mcgard website to see about a key.

Otherwise, here's how I removed the OEM wheel locks on my 14 Sport. http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=210611

·
Registered
2019, 1500 Big Horn 4x4 Crew Cab
28 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Bought an enterprise truck. Cannot lower spare. Imagine it's just a standard truck without this upgraded. Seems a dealer could help, but the service rep I talked to wants to cut off the spare... think I'll look around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts