DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
I hate to bring back an old post, but I am looking into changing my top bank in my 4.7 and was googling multiple threads and sites, and I have to say. Its crazy the amount of people that are saying the top bank on their 4.7's need to be changd every 30k miles. That is not correct according to the owners manual? It says 30k for 3.7 and 5.7, but for the 4.7 its the top bank at 48k and bottom bank at 96k. I mean, i guess it wont hurt to change at 30k, but I just couldnt believe how many different threads and sites kept saying 30k for 4.7 top bank.

Had to get that off my chest ha.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Also, since im reviving an old post, maybe someone can answer my question. I keep hearing everyone say Bosch is OEM, no wait, NGK is OEM, no wait, Champion is OEM. Which one is it?!

I see a lot of people recommending NGK. I found the NGK copper for the top bank on Rockauto. Is the NGK for the bottom bank Iridium or double platinum. Because rockauto isnt showing any NGK iridium, just NGK double platinum.

Also, in the owners manual, it says change the wires at 96k. But it doesnt say anything about the coil on each top plug. Do you regulary change those? Or is it a wait till it goes bad type of deal? Thanks!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Holy moly I never knew spark plugs were so confusing!! haha. But Just before I read your post I figured out that the part number in the owners manual matched up with a Bosch, so I will go ahead and get those, as your recommendation too.

One last question. is it di-electric grease that goes in the boot and around where the boot contacts the plug, correct? and then anti seeze on the threads of the plug?

my truck is at 75k, bought it used around 60k. Dont know if the pervious owner changed them or not. So I figured Id just go ahead and swap the top bank now and pray the boot isnt siezed. Then also change the top again at the 96k mark. I can afford an extra $28(3.50x8) for some piece of mind.

Also going to order this for the thin wall socket. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0074HNKI6?tag=viglink27338-20

·
Registered
85 Posts
So if you put iridium in the top bank, it doesnt effect performance? and then you can change them both at 96k intervals?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.