DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
The Dodge-recommended spark plug change interval on the 5.7 is every 52,000 km (32,000 mi). I skipped the first interval due to a warranty engine swap but I'm coming up on the second interval.
Anyone have any input on whether it really needs to be done that frequently or not? Seems excessive with modern plugs. The engine still runs strong, no abnormal sounds (except the Hemi tick).

Just asking because it's an expensive service up here.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
663 Posts
When I had my 2012 I changed them myself. Not a bad job, 2 hours at the most, taking breaks and not hurrying.

·
Super Moderator
34,699 Posts
People make a big deal out of there being 16 plugs, but the hard part is getting the coils off and there's still just 8 of those. The extra plug per coil only takes another minute, and the actual job is pretty easy.

I do mine every 30k miles with OEM NGK nickel plugs

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
my 13 was the same i did it myself it was maybe 2 hours to do i got the plugs off amazon, they where not exspensive and bought the socket for it .

·
Super Moderator
34,699 Posts
Yeah its like $60 for all 16 of them

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi guys,
The Dodge-recommended spark plug change interval on the 5.7 is every 52,000 km (32,000 mi). I skipped the first interval due to a warranty engine swap but I'm coming up on the second interval.
Anyone have any input on whether it really needs to be done that frequently or not? Seems excessive with modern plugs. The engine still runs strong, no abnormal sounds (except the Hemi tick).

Just asking because it's an expensive service up here.

Thanks for the input.
FCA now recommends the NGK 92145 iridium plugs on a 100k mile (160k kms.) schedule. I got mine from Rock Auto for CDN$132.41, delivered.

·
Registered
771 Posts
In order to make the switch from copper to iridium plugs, I'm pretty sure you have to verify that your coil packs are rated for the "hotter" iridium plug. I did this on my '13 Challenger, and since it had the exact same coil packs as the newer Challengers that come from the factory with iridium plugs, I put them in (NGK). 100k duration, and I picked up and instant 2 MPGs. My RAM came with iridium, so I won't be looking them until 100K (which at the rate I'm driving it (winter and weekends), won't be for another 6 years.

·
Registered
47 Posts
In order to make the switch from copper to iridium plugs, I'm pretty sure you have to verify that your coil packs are rated for the "hotter" iridium plug. I did this on my '13 Challenger, and since it had the exact same coil packs as the newer Challengers that come from the factory with iridium plugs, I put them in (NGK). 100k duration, and I picked up and instant 2 MPGs. My RAM came with iridium, so I won't be looking them until 100K (which at the rate I'm driving it (winter and weekends), won't be for another 6 years.
Really? I didn't know that. I haven't seen anywhere that has stated that. Do you have a link to that requirement? There was no note at Rock Auto saying the coil packs had to be a certain number.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
yes, K-DAWG is right stick to what it says in your manual, my 13 was like this my 17 is 100,000 mile plugs i think in 14 they changed all the hemis to 100,000 plugs.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Really? I didn't know that. I haven't seen anywhere that has stated that. Do you have a link to that requirement? There was no note at Rock Auto saying the coil packs had to be a certain number.

Thanks.
Unfortunately, I do not. If you search this and other HEMI related forums (Challengers, Chargers), you'll find many posts on Copper vs. Iridium tipped plugs. My understanding is that pre-2015, FCA was putting copper tipped (Champions earlier, and then NGKs later) in HEMIs because they were cheaper than iridium. The trade-off, was that you have to replace them at 30K miles. I ran my OEM copper NGKs in my '13 Challenger to 65K, and the electrodes were definitely worn down, badly. On the (Challenger talk) forum, it was suggested that if your pre-15 car has the exact same coil packs as the ones that come on the '15+ cars that come from the factory with iridium NGKs, you obviously will have no problem switching from copper to iridium. (My coil packs are identical to the 15's). However, if your coil pack is different, you have to do some additional research to be sure they're compatible with iridium plugs. Anectotal evidence is that some coil packs on older vehicles (not designed for iridium plugs) will prematurely fail, if used on iridium plugs. I've no actual source for that....just stuff people post on forums.

What I can attest to is that with the iridium plugs (in my '13 Challenger), I instantaneously gained 2 MPG across all driving conditions (averaged 27.5 on recent trip from PA to FLA) and 22.5 on my daily commute.....This, of course, could just be that I replaced the OEM NGK copper plugs with 65K on them. But, the car runs like it did when it was new (over 71K now) and no signs of any ignition issues with my OEM coil packs.

·
Super Moderator
34,699 Posts
It was very late 13-really 14 when they went from nickel plugs to iridiums

·
Registered
47 Posts
It was very late 13-really 14 when they went from nickel plugs to iridiums
OK, so I haven't installed the iridium plugs in my 2012 yet, and, from what I gather here, I shouldn't with out first checking what coil packs I have? Anyone know what number coil packs would be compatible with these iridium plugs? I bought this truck used, so maybe a previous owner changed the coil packs (lucky me maybe???)?

·
Registered
771 Posts
OK, for what this is worth. I went to Autozone website. Plugged in your 2012 and my 2016 and asked for coil packs, and the search returned the exact same options. Autozone, at least, thinks that my truck and yours use the same coil packs. My truck came with iridium plugs and yours came with copper.

I'd say you're good to go.

·
Registered
47 Posts
OK, for what this is worth. I went to Autozone website. Plugged in your 2012 and my 2016 and asked for coil packs, and the search returned the exact same options. Autozone, at least, thinks that my truck and yours use the same coil packs. My truck came with iridium plugs and yours came with copper.

I'd say you're good to go.
K-DAWG...I was just doing exactly the same thing, only using Mopar Parts website and RockAuto's site for reference numbers, and came to the same findings as you (You have saved me a whole lot of typing...Thank You!!) I will continue to research this, and keep tabs here, for any new info that pertains.

·
Registered
47 Posts
OK guys...finally getting to replacing the plugs on my 2012 RAM. The coils presently in the truck are Mopar part # 56029129AF, and apparently good for the iridium plugs. All the suppliers websites I checked say they are compatible with these coils. Its a fun job (about 2hrs.) and the key is to buy the GearWrench tool #80546...http://www.gearwrench.com/gearwrench-80546-5-8-x-6-swivel-spark-plug-socket.html . Gets into the tight spots perfectly.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a 2013, built 11/2012. I replaced the plugs once and they had the NGK Cooper's and that's what I replaced them with. I was curious to what coil pack I have, so I pulled one and the part # was the 56029129AF engraved in the coil.

From what I'm reading above, and what I see on Rock Auto, these coils will work with for the NGK Laser Iridium plugs. I'm going to swap them with the hopes of gaining some MPG. Am I thinking correctly here?

·
Super Moderator
34,699 Posts
I have a 2013, built 11/2012. I replaced the plugs once and they had the NGK Cooper's and that's what I replaced them with. I was curious to what coil pack I have, so I pulled one and the part # was the 56029129AF engraved in the coil.

From what I'm reading above, and what I see on Rock Auto, these coils will work with for the NGK Laser Iridium plugs. I'm going to swap them with the hopes of gaining some MPG. Am I thinking correctly here?
I don't think you'll have any issues, but I also don't think you'll pick up any MPGs.

Nickel plugs like the OEM NGKs (people call them copper but they are nickel plated-iridium and platinum plugs also have a copper core and are plated with their respective namesakes) have a thicker electrode and actually produce a better spark. They just don't last as long.

YMMV, they cost about 3 times as much but last about 3 times as long. I still use the nickel plugs and change them every 30,000. IDK if leaving them in longer makes you more likely to get a stuck plug or anything-Hemis aren't known for being finicky about spark plug installation like some of the Ford Modular engines

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't think you'll have any issues, but I also don't think you'll pick up any MPGs.

Nickel plugs like the OEM NGKs (people call them copper but they are nickel plated-iridium and platinum plugs also have a copper core and are plated with their respective namesakes) have a thicker electrode and actually produce a better spark. They just don't last as long.

YMMV, they cost about 3 times as much but last about 3 times as long. I still use the nickel plugs and change them every 30,000. IDK if leaving them in longer makes you more likely to get a stuck plug or anything-Hemis aren't known for being finicky about spark plug installation like some of the Ford Modular engines
That's good to know! I'll just stay with the coppers as they're much less $$$ Thanks!(y)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts