DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone I was wondering if anybody had any experience with using spark plugs other than champions in their hemi's?.. i.e. ngk iridium. and also copper vs platinum plugs?I've heard hemi and platinum don't work well. mine is an 03 with 60k on it

·
Registered
941 Posts
I have NGK Iridium IX's in for around 30,000 and going strong.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I still haven't seen a definitive reason of what the suggestion of not using precious metal plugs is based on. I've read quite a few of the spark plug threads in the archives but haven't run across the absolute bottom line of why you're not supposed to run these plugs. I'm not posting this to be argumentative, and maybe I've just missed the explanation from Mopar as to why this is allegedly the case. I've seen quite a bit of speculation in the past threads but no absolute reasonn or answer. And now with the announcement from Dodge on the application of a precious metal plug in the police Charger, I'm even more curious.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2009 hemi with 41000k...i am looking to put in new spark plugs...What do you all think about putting in the E-3 spark plugs..

·
Registered
28 Posts
E-3s are shit I've tried them twice and both times my motor ran horrible it idled ruff and when I got on it hard it would spit and sputter then go I took them out and put in the 2yr old autolites and it ran perfect that was in my 03 Chevy in my race car I tried them and my ets were slower after about 3 passes and kept getting slower I threw them away and put in a set of autolites and my car runs very consistently again. I think it's the design of the diamond fire thing I think it blocks the spark

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Ran NGK's V-Grove in my 05 at 36000 miles :smileup:........06 Charger R/T are champion and replace with champion next oil change 35/36000 miles got them for $1.99 each.......09 Ram are NGK's replacing at next oil change 35/36000 miles

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
NGK 5406's for your Hemi...the hemi's dont like the exotics..has something to do with resistence, will throw codes and cause missfires in some...

·
Registered
698 Posts
NGK 5406's for your Hemi...the hemi's dont like the exotics..has something to do with resistence, will throw codes and cause missfires in some...
Fred, from my short time on these forums you seem to have messed with these hemis for awhile. I don't doubt your word on the spark plug issue, but can you point me to anything somewhat official that verifies the issue? I'm no ignition or computer wizard, but I've messed with many aftermarket ignition systems on computer controlled vehicles ranging from MSD setups and some others. I've never seen a better spark or a better plug cause an issue in our modern engines. Now I realize that when new, a common copper core plug and a precious metal plug offer little if any differences. It's the life span of a precious metal plug that's its biggest benefit. While more expensive, it would be nice to use the precious metal plug in what seems to be a 3:1 lifespan to avoid more of the somewhat difficult plug changes on the hemi.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
It's the life span of a precious metal plug that's its biggest benefit.
That's dead on. The only advantage of the precious metals is longer life....an iridium plug will last 100,000 miles and a copper plug will last 30,000 miles, for example. It's not like iridium makes a "better" spark, for lack of a better term. The hemi's and the 2008+ 4.7L's already have two plugs per cylinder and have great spark. The E3 plugs and other various IMO gimmicks only hurt performance, and this is based on experience (in other vehicles). I've tried E3's and other weird plugs and they caused problems. A proper "normal" plug that is $3 (copper) vs a proper "normal" plug that is $10 (iridium) will give the same performance, at different life spans. Now heat ranges and other things can effect performance (and life span) among other things....but I'm not expert, I just know a little and that the material of the plug basically has nothing to do with performance.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
I read it a long while back from a couple of chysler techs on the boards...they mentioned something about a class they were in talking about different plugs saying the plats would cause resistence issues which in turn over heat and screw up the coil packs...

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
^I could see excessive resistance of the material causing heat build up, makes sense...

·
Registered
367 Posts
I haven't found any major plug makers that offers a Platinum plug for a late model Hemi,
but several are just recently begining to offer new Iridium plugs for this application

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Copper champions here.

·
Registered
120 Posts
whatever they put in at the factory is whats in my truck, they havent been changed yet, and wont be for a couple more years

1 - 18 of 18 Posts