DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking through my manual and read that the government forces Chrysler to warranty the spark plugs for 5 yrs or 50k miles, whichever comes first. If this is the case, why do they recommend changing them every 30? I have 40k on my truck and the plugs look pretty good. Should these be changed under warranty and they dont tell you so they can make some money?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I was looking through my manual and read that the government forces Chrysler to warranty the spark plugs for 5 yrs or 50k miles, whichever comes first. If this is the case, why do they recommend changing them every 30? I have 40k on my truck and the plugs look pretty good. Should these be changed under warranty and they dont tell you so they can make some money?
It's different then how you see it.

Your plugs should be changed around 30k miles, because over time they are heavily used and by changing them you gain mileage, better emissions...

They are on warranty for 5 yrs or 50k, this doesn't mean because you want new ones they will replace them. Only if a spark plug fails, then I guess it would fall under a warranty claim.

I just did my spark plugs on my truck about 2k miles ago, it cost me $35. A shop quoted me $230. Do it yourself bud. Depending on your truck, it will take either 8 or 16 spark plugs. If it takes 8, then it will cost you less then $20 at Autozone.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the clarification. I am overdue for a plug change and I'm going with NGK coppers but I will need 16 of em. I hope I have the patience

1 - 3 of 3 Posts