DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening all, I have a 2017 ram 1500 crew cab with factory uconnect 5.0, 6 speaker stereo. I’m wanting to upgrade the speakers and I would like to keep the factory head unit because of the integrated function and looks. I was just wanting to run this idea by everyone, I’m thinking of installing components, with the mids in the door and put the tweeters in the dash firing towards the windows where the 3.5 were and use that wiring to run the tweeters. I also thought about buying a second set of tweeters and put those in the dash as well and wire the. So the head unit sees an 8ohm load. Or would I be better off just repalacing everything with coaxial speakers? I’m planning on eventually installing a small 4 channel amp and using the stock wiring to power the speakers. Thank you so much !!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I believe the stock wire is 18guage. Might need to upgrade to 16 if amplifying. I would just for clarity. Be mindful of where you place tweaters. Some sound great if they are blasting at you, but some can be overwhelming and better to place low with the woofer cone. I wouldn't add an extra set of tweeter, and I'd skip the upper dash all together. Bad place for good speakers.

Best thing you can do for sound in any vehical is use butyl sound deadening in your door panels, and speaker mounting hole. Dont matter how much money you pour into sound, if that sheet metal vibrates, the sound will suck.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I have the same 5.0 and 6 speaker set up in mine. I replaced my rear speakers with MTX thunder 6x9’s, front doors with MTX thunder 6-1/2” and initially put kicker ds 3-1/2” in the dash with additional 4ohm resisters to match the 8ohm that the stocks are. The dash speakers were still to overpowering. I put the factory ones back in the dash and it sounds much better. So I would also recommend you put nothing up there

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
My truck came with the 5.0 radio with 6 speakers. Last summer I replaced the 6 speakers with JBL’s Club Series speakers. I used the 6x9’s in all 4 doors and 3.5’s I the dash. I had to add 4 ohm resisters to each of the 2 dash speakers otherwise they were too bright. The sound over stock speakers is a night and day difference. I highly recommend them. I found no reason to add amplifiers to the setup with the better speakers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use JBL clubs too! Great speakers. I did amp all mine so I can hear them over the 2 10" . Plus is ripped out the uconnect.. Lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
You may have issue with front doors. The window guide bar gets in the way. JBL club has a lower profile.
Rear will be fine.
A small spaced will give you the clearance you need to put 6x9’s in the front doors.
Yup. They also make 6x9 spacers that hold a component set of 6" and tweeter.
I made mine with 1/4 MDF. Traced the factory 6x9, then traced 5.25 and tweeter to fit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My truck came with the 5.0 radio with 6 speakers. Last summer I replaced the 6 speakers with JBL’s Club Series speakers. I used the 6x9’s in all 4 doors and 3.5’s I the dash. I had to add 4 ohm resisters to each of the 2 dash speakers otherwise they were too bright. The sound over stock speakers is a night and day difference. I highly recommend them. I found no reason to add amplifiers to the setup with the better speakers.

Which 6*9 club speakers did you use? The coaxial ones that have tweeter in the middle of the woofer? Or the component ones where the woofer is alone...but you have to spinstall the crossover and add the tweeter elsewhere?

Is there already a built in crossover or do the door speakers get a full range signal?

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Which 6*9 club speakers did you use? The coaxial ones that have tweeter in the middle of the woofer? Or the component ones where the woofer is alone...but you have to spinstall the crossover and add the tweeter elsewhere?

Is there already a built in crossover or do the door speakers get a full range signal?
I got the ones with the tweeter in the speaker. The doors get full range.
Im I got these

1 - 13 of 13 Posts