DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 ram sport 5.2 4x4 w auto trans, 145k ish miles, lifted w large tires (dunno size off hand, update later)

All the guages on the dash work fine, but the speedo guage decides to stop working sometimes and sits at zero, then sometimes it works fine. Eveything else works fine on the dash.

I also noticed that the trans no longer goes in OD, but I rarely drive fast enough to notice so I dont know if its related to the speedo problem. I havent driven it where the speedo is deciding to work to see if the OD returns.

So firstly, what should I look at to fix the speedo? sensor problem, wiring problem, or the dash display itself?

Second, if it is a sensor problem or electric, would it cause the no overdrive issue, or did this just happen to start together. I cant tell you when the OD worked last, but it did work. speedo started a few months ago, but its failing more often then not now instead of just a sporatic thing.

otherwise it shifts and drives fine still. no check engine light, OD light turns on and off with the press of the button still

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! One more question if you dont mind...

Now, is that the one that is on top of the transfercase, or on the side of the transmission?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Transmission. There's also a VSS in the rear axle. As long as the anti-lock isn't setting a warning light off, it's probably OK.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
The speed sensor changed locations depending on year. I believe after 2000 the abs and vss where integrated into one and used on the rear axle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I replaced the tranny drivers side speed sensor, seems to be working well now... but i cant tell if OD is working. at 70mph i'm at about 2600rpm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts